Hacking Rhapsodii Shima 5.4

shawksly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if it's only those 2 button images I think you can safely skip optimization. After all you're not using a lot of backgrounds and buttons, so you should have a lot of free memory available.
You can just use the transparent png's you made with gimp
That's my issue... those ARE the transparent .pngs. Same files as I just uploaded...

It seems like WiiFlow doesn't recognize their transparency, and put a border around them?

Last edited by shawksly,

shawksly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kept testing and testing, and I've learned two things. 1) Be more patient (sorry). 2) Don't use photoshop.

For anyone else who comes along needing to edit these files: if you don't have a transparent background, use Ifranview. If you do, use GIMP.
Export As PNG
Uncheck everything but "save background color."
Compression level 9.
If color: 8 or 16bpc RGBA (8 is better, but 16 worked)
If B&W (8 or 16 bpc GRAYA (same as above)
And export.

These aren't the best settings, and you should use this guide, but if you're stuck, these worked for me.

Here are my working images for anyone who needs them.

wwvc_menu.png gamecube_menu1.png

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I kept testing and testing, and I've learned two things. 1) Be more patient (sorry). 2) Don't use photoshop.

For anyone else who comes along needing to edit these files: if you don't have a transparent background, use Ifranview. If you do, use GIMP.
Export As PNG
Uncheck everything but "save background color."
Compression level 9.
If color: 8 or 16bpc RGBA (8 is better, but 16 worked)
If B&W (8 or 16 bpc GRAYA (same as above)
And export.

These aren't the best settings, and you should use this guide, but if you're stuck, these worked for me.

Here are my working images for anyone who needs them.

View attachment 223614 View attachment 223615
Question: Do you have Box Mode enabled in Source Flow settings? If yes, disable it.
You can also try to delete the .wfc files in wiifow/cache/sourceflow and then reload cache

Reactions: kokokool

shawksly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: Do you have Box Mode enabled in Source Flow settings? If yes, disable it.
You can also try to delete the .wfc files in wiifow/cache/sourceflow and then reload cache

I don't. it's working now after using GIMP. But I did toggle that setting on and off to check, and I know what you're getting at, but if you look at that previous photo, you can see that the retro consoles icon was behaving as it should. It was odd to have the border on the other images.

And thank you! I was deleting the cache files each time I tested.

Regardless, I appreciate all your help! Thank you for taking the time! I wouldn't be trying so hard to make this work if the theme weren't so good looking. :D

Reactions: Tetsuo Shima

Oddx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is great! out of curiosity has someone created a tier1 to match the style of the tier2 backgrounds? i love both hyperspin and emulationstation but the change between styles is driving me nuts.

kokokool

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Version 5.4.7 is up! :toot:
As always, big big thanks to @blackb0x for png's optimization.

This version supports all the new features from Wiiflow 5.4.7
You can use it with Wiiflow 5.4.7 beta5
If you update Wiiflow to beta5, make sure to reinstall platform.ini from this theme as a last step

Thanks!!!! As always!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

MrSW

Trophies
XP
Country
Brunei
As a small suggestion, instead of forcing users to rename the background files wouldn't you agree it would be better to make use of the COMBINED section in platform.ini?

MrSW

Trophies
XP
Country
Brunei
Care to elaborate? I can't think of any drawbacks and it would allow not only separate backgrounds for the regional variants but also different coverflows

MrSW

Trophies
XP
Country
Brunei
Exactly, they could still share their database while keeping separate coverflows and backgrounds. There is no loss at all. We already have the precedent of Turbografx/PC-Engine, who are already in the COMBINED section with this exact same effect.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No, pcengine and turbografx have separate plaftorm names in platform.ini
Not the same as megadrive/genesis where only megadrive exists

MrSW

Trophies
XP
Country
Brunei
Correct, yet their share a database and make use of different backgrounds and coverflows. The point is that you could make that for other systems like SNES/SFC, MegaDrive/Genesis, Wonderswan/WSC etc by adding alternate plugin numbers for the regional variants, making them in practice different systems in everything but database (just like it is already the case with TG16/PCE). Then again it is your theme so don't do it if you don't want to, it was just an idea.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's not that I don't want to do it, but I can't add new platforms without modification to Wiiflow code.
But if Fledge said he won't do it, I'm sure he has his reasons

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a small suggestion, instead of forcing users to rename the background files wouldn't you agree it would be better to make use of the COMBINED section in platform.ini?
so let me make sure I understand what the problem is.

you would rather use turbografx 16 and genesis backgrounds but you don't want to rename them to pc engine and megadrive?

using the combined section wouldn't work for that.
the combined section is used in case someone sets a magic number platform name to the ntsc counterpart. the ntsc name is converted to the PAL name because wiimpathy's database is set up to use PAL names.

so you want the combined section to say for example:
megadrive = genesis
pc engine = turbografx 16

and then wiiflow when looking for backgrounds would look for megadrive but if not found it can then used the combined and search for genesis.

MrSW

Trophies
XP
Country
Brunei
I suggested it precisely because I already have it working like that, so yeah, it is definitely possible (with no coding required!). Perhaps it will be easier to visualize with an example:

[PLUGINS]
#PcEngine
4d45434e=PCENGINE
4d45454e=PCENGINECD
4d45434f=TURBOGRAFX
4d45454f=TURBODUO

#SNES9X RX
534e5258=SUPERNES
534e5259=SUPERNES_PAL

[COMBINED]
TURBOGRAFX=PCENGINE
TURBODUO=PCENGINECD
SUPERNES_PAL=SUPERNES

[FLOWS]
PCENGINE=cd_case
TURBOGRAFX=cart_box
PCENGINECD=cd_case
TURBODUO=cart_Box
SUPERNES=snescart_box
SUPERNES_PAL=cart_box

And that's it, it is very easy to implement and it allows you to make them share the database but keep separate backgrounds and coverflows (while having them available as plugins simultaneously). If you don't think that it works, well you are free to try it yourself. And again, this is in no way a demand, just an idea that you might not implement if you don't want to, but it is definitely possible and quite easy really.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggested it precisely because I already have it working like that, so yeah, it is definitely possible (with no coding required!). Perhaps it will be easier to visualize with an example:

[PLUGINS]
#PcEngine
4d45434e=PCENGINE
4d45454e=PCENGINECD
4d45434f=TURBOGRAFX
4d45454f=TURBODUO

#SNES9X RX
534e5258=SUPERNES
534e5259=SUPERNES_PAL

[COMBINED]
TURBOGRAFX=PCENGINE
TURBODUO=PCENGINECD
SUPERNES_PAL=SUPERNES

[FLOWS]
PCENGINE=cd_case
TURBOGRAFX=cart_box
PCENGINECD=cd_case
TURBODUO=cart_Box
SUPERNES=snescart_box
SUPERNES_PAL=cart_box

And that's it, it is very easy to implement and it allows you to make them share the database but keep separate backgrounds and coverflows (while having them available as plugins simultaneously). If you don't think that it works, well you are free to try it yourself. And again, this is in no way a demand, just an idea that you might not implement if you don't want to, but it is definitely possible and quite easy really.
of course you can do that. that's why the platform.ini is a separate file so users can easily edit it to their liking.
i would have just changed the pcengine magic to turbografx instead of making a whole new magic number. but maybe you want to keep pc engine games separate from turbografx games.

anyway, sorry i misinterpreted your original post. feel free to edit platform ini to your liking.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry, @MrSW I didn't know it could work. This is a much better solution and I will work to include it in a future update.
I remember having tried this long ago without success and then discussing about this with @fledge68 in the Wiiflow Lite thread
(took me some time to find the conversation).
I think it's a case of total misunderstandig from me, but at that time I thought it was not possible to have the background to change. I was focused on the backgrounds and didn't understand the [combined] part and the fact that I could deliberately include new platform names. So I put it out of my mind and thought about the workaround with the renamed png's.
I'm so happy that I was wrong! Thank you

Last edited by Tetsuo Shima,
Reactions: Hakaisha

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, @MrSW I didn't know it could work. This is a much better solution and I will work to include it in a future update.
I remember having tried this long ago without success and then discussing about this with @fledge68 in the Wiiflow Lite thread
(took me some time to find the conversation).
I think it's a case of total misunderstandig from me, but at that time I thought it was not possible to have the background to change. I was focused on the backgrounds and didn't understand the [combined] part and the fact that I could deliberately include new platform names. So I put it out of my mind and thought about the workaround with the renamed png's.
I'm so happy that I was wrong! Thank you
If you do this you will have to make double the plugins for PC engine and mega drive for all the new magic numbers. Seems unnecessary to me but whatever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning