Hacking RGH Xbox360 System Video Player problems

90sTVviewer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Hello everyone. I want to use my RGH'd Xbox360 to play some video files.

I know it is not the best media player device, but: these are old SDTV stuff, I have a really good SDTV (CRT) I'd like to use to watch them instead of my more modern displays, and I own no other devices capable of both outputting oldschool "15kHz" analog video and decoding H264 realtime. (eg. my PS2, PS1 and countless other old consoles could easily output analog video to a SDTV but obviously they don't have enough processing power or any dedicated hardware to decode H264)

I have tried xmplayer 0.2 and 0.4, xbmc (via OG Xbox emulation) and xbmc4xbox360. None of these work (they all just crash/hang either on startup or when trying to play video files), and even if I could somehow get xmplayer to work, it wouldn't be suitable because it's a libxenon homebrew and XeLL always insists on switching to YPbPr ("component video") color encoding when using the official SCART RGB AV cable, which is wrong and unsuitable for my purposes (my display only supports RGB color encoding).

First problem I ran into trying to use the original MS video player was error 51-C00DF236 ("media update is required to play this content"). Well, obviously I can't download it from Live because my console is hacked and I am not going to pay for stealth just to watch some old video clips.

I found the Media Update files from the Internet, but when I copied them under Hdd1:\Content...\FFFE07DF I just get error 69-80004005 or 69-C00DF804 when I try to play any file ("can't play this content because it may not be supported."). I found three different Media Update packages actually (from 2011, 2012 and 2017), tried files from all of them but I always get the same errors.

All of my MP4 files should be playable according to the specifications from Microsoft (baseline/main/high profile, level 4.1, AAC LC audio, etc.). Nevertheless, I thought I'd also try some old AVI and WMV files I have but none of them work.

I'd like to avoid setting up a media server for this if at all possible.

Any ideas?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, try installing the official update that's the same as your dash kernel. you can find your dash kernel in system settings or in the FSD "about" section (probably somewhere in Aurora as well). it will say 2.0.xxxxx. this will not destroy your hack, just install things to the hard drive (make sure you have one or you won't be cued to update). you can tell what it's about to do by the wording, so you'll know if you've done it right. this should only take a few seconds.

edit: btw, be absolutely sure it's the same dash kernel or it will destroy the hack. I'm not sure what will happen exactly, but probably rrod or one blinking red light. those are the bad ones.

Last edited by godreborn,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
should look like this:
20200805_232109_HDR.jpg
20200805_232225_HDR.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum