RGH not recognizing USB hard drive

SyrusHedgie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 2 TB hard drive that I split so one partition would be fat32 for the rgh. But it won't show up in XeX menu or any other file managers. What am I doing wrong?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It only reads the first partition yep.

This might sound dumb if you've already thought of it but what about upgrading the internal HDD?
It'll take a up to 2 TB.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I could do that. Is it as simple as dismantling and replacing it?

Easier then that! Well... depends ;p
You'd need to take 6? screws out if it's a Phat (HDD caddy) or get a replacement Slim caddy if you mess up your own.
Phats have the HDD on top via a special port and Slims have it in a caddy slid into the console behind a removable part of the grille.

After you swapped it, you just need to format it in the MS dash and then load up Xexmenu and copy all the contents from your old HDD to the new one.
This can be done via FTP (make a backup in advance) or via the transfer kit/SATA to USB adapter.
Otherwise, follow the tutorial on how to install FSD3 that I written here.
I'm pretty sure you're savvy enough to know what you're doing so you can skip certain parts.

SyrusHedgie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easier then that! Well... depends ;p
You'd need to take 6? screws out if it's a Phat (HDD caddy) or get a replacement Slim caddy if you mess up your own.
Phats have the HDD on top via a special port and Slims have it in a caddy slid into the console behind a removable part of the grille.

After you swapped it, you just need to format it in the MS dash and then load up Xexmenu and copy all the contents from your old HDD to the new one.
This can be done via FTP (make a backup in advance) or via the transfer kit/SATA to USB adapter.
Otherwise, follow the tutorial on how to install FSD3 that I written here.
I'm pretty sure you're savvy enough to know what you're doing so you can skip certain parts.
Yeah I've definitely explored the inside of an hdd. It's a Phat. My current HDD is 60 gb. Can't even hold all the CODs...

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
should be able to get 10MB/s via ethernet to backup the old drive. iirc, you need a torx 8 and 10 screwdriver head. it doesn't need to be a security bit. one of the screws on the caddie is underneath the microsoft sticker, since microsoft doesn't want you messing with them and seeing their secret, that it's just a laptop drive at three times the price.

SyrusHedgie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It shouldn't reformat the drive no.
use @DinohScene 's guide, because you'll want to use partition fixer for xbox classic emulation. iirc, it won't matter if you forget to do that after you transfer all your stuff, because I don't think it formats the drive, just repartitions it.
Thanks for the help, I will keep all of this in mind.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte