Hacking RGH Falcon GPU temp suggestions

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently RGH'd an old Flacon I got from a trade way back. Apparently the X-Clamps were removed and the bolt mod was done to both the CPU and GPU. I'm not sure if console had ever Red Ringed, or if someone just decided to do it as a preventative measure. Anyway, I decided not to disturb the bolts and check my temps first. CPU idles in the low 50s, but the GPU gets pretty hot. I set my temp control to keep it below 70c, and it always idles right up to that 70c threshold, and the fan sounds pretty loud. Are these temps normal? I understand the Falcon has the older GPU, but improved CPU. Should I try new thermal paste on the GPU? Thanks

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a falcon as well, and I keep mine at or below 60c for everything. idling, my temps never quite reach 60c. they're usually closer to 50-55c or so for both cpu and gpu. I replaced the thermal paste a long time ago, but I never play the system. your cpu sounds good, but the gpu seems a little high if you're idling.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've got me fans on 70%, added a 40mm fan on top of the 2nd GPU heatsink and dremeled a hole in the side, fitted it with a fan grille.

Thing never reaches 60 on a hot summer day under full load haha.

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got me fans on 70%, added a 40mm fan on top of the 2nd GPU heatsink and dremeled a hole in the side, fitted it with a fan grille.

Thing never reaches 60 on a hot summer day under full load haha.

Hey thanks, was just reading your excellent write-up on jTAG/RGH Temps.. where you also mention the 40mm.. how much of a difference does just that fan make?

Last edited by simbin,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Combined with a hole on top of it in the casing?
Between 5-10c, depending on some factors.

Me fan was malfunctioning a few days ago, temperatures dropped by 5c the moment I replaced it.

I'd say put a divider in your fanduct and if you fancy, 3D print a smaller fanduct to help guide the air pulled in by the 40mm through the GPU heatsink.
Cardboard and or beer coasters can be used as an alternative.

I've had that Falcon ever since the discovery of the RGH.
Never gotten the temperatures above 60c.

I got to mention that I placed small copper heatsinks on the bare RAM chips and the HANA chip, reducing those temperatures will help reduce thermal stress for those components.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no fan mods on my system. temps usually stay pretty cool. I don't really game on the system though, but I've left the system on overnight a few times. I have another jtag falcon in my closet. I've never compared temps though.

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I really don't know this Falcon's origin story, I'm reluctant to get too invested. I don't want to put a ton of work into it and then end up with a RRoD anyway. Once I saw the bolt mod, I was extra careful not to put any strain on the heatsinks while I was doing the solder work. In fact, I was actually hoping the temps would be good enough, because I'm worried as soon as I replace the thermal paste and rebolt the heatsink, something won't be tension rigged right, and I'm sh!t up RRoD creek anyway.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Using screws n what not to fasten the heatsinks to the board...
Ehhh stress fractures?

Wait, that thing has been bolted?

Idk mate, if you don't see obvious heat marks on the RF shielding of the case and in the fanduct/under neat the DVD drive, you're good.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got rrod on my first system, a shitty xenon. I put a lot of mods in that one, but it still rrod. since that happened, I haven't put any mods on any system aside from decal skins. imo, it's not worth the money, especially when most of these hackable systems are pretty cheap to replace.

edit: btw, that xenon was only a flashed system, so I didn't have temp thresholds with it.

Last edited by godreborn,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I kept my jtag falcon under 60C. I stuck a 120mm intake fan where the dvd drive was and set a fixed percentage for the fan speed (can't remember what %). Never bothered with any other cooling mods. Got it in 2010, still works now, but don't really use it, heavy use of it probably stopped in 2015 or so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn