Hacking RGB on NTSC Wii Yields Red Screen - Can Homebrew in RGB Be Done?

wingzrow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was hoping to turn my wii into the ultimate 2D retro gaming machine by playing all my emulated games through RGB on my wii, problem is, my NTSC Wii gives off a red tint the entire screen when trying this.

Forcing PAL60 through wii & gamecube games on usbloaderGX allows full color, but I still have no idea how to get SNESX9, or any of the emulators to display in PAL60, which is the only way to get full color through RGB that i've found.

Is there a way to play homebrew emulators in RGB with full speed and color?

GENESIS GX was close, as it has an option that allows pal50, which gives me color, but that hurts my eyes like you wouldn't believe. I need to play in NTSC or PAL60.

Any ideas?

wingzrow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would be the best program to change my wii's region, and what settings should I use?

EDIT: Nevermind. I Used Any Region Changer to change my Wii's video mode to PAL, and now I got color like normal. For the Genesis emulator anyway, I haven't tested the rest.

PrincessPeach

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
You need to be positive that PAL60 will work with your TV. If it is compatible, then use Wii Mod to change the Video Mode (Advanced Menu > Region Changer > Video)

The TV won't notice any PAL or PAL60 when connected to RGB, as the TV standard used will be RGB.

Only the Wii will care what it's system is set to, as NTSC Wiis output S-Video over the leads that are used for RGB on PAL Wiis.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The TV won't notice any PAL or PAL60 when connected to RGB, as the TV standard used will be RGB.

Only the Wii will care what it's system is set to, as NTSC Wiis output S-Video over the leads that are used for RGB on PAL Wiis.

Would there theoretically be a way to replace the NTSC "leads" into RGB ones with system modification?
I use pal wii with fully PAL setup - compatibility is not issue nor will I ever have a need for Svideo output from the system.
I hope someone can make this happen, I have lots of things that will just go NTSC and it's all Virtual Boy land which I most definitely do not want.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think an US s-video cable would work... I know exactly why you don't want to use the default cables, but there's no good solution for your problem. Well, if you have a SDTV that is. If you have a HDTV, just use component cables.

You can try video mode patches, some games can be forced to run in PAL60 with them. I think overall the "protection" (might not be intended) against PAL video modes works better than most copy protection mechanisms on the Wii.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Would there theoretically be a way to replace the NTSC "leads" into RGB ones with system modification?
I use pal wii with fully PAL setup - compatibility is not issue nor will I ever have a need for Svideo output from the system.
I hope someone can make this happen, I have lots of things that will just go NTSC and it's all Virtual Boy land which I most definitely do not want.

As I understand it, you modify the operating system. But I don't own either an s-video or RGB cable.

For that matter I'm not sure what options in homebrew called NTSC or PAL60 actually do.
RGB and component don't use either color encoding. So those names are supposed to be misnomers when referring to them.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
As I understand it, you modify the operating system. But I don't own either an s-video or RGB cable.

For that matter I'm not sure what options in homebrew called NTSC or PAL60 actually do.
RGB and component don't use either color encoding. So those names are supposed to be misnomers when referring to them.

Do not take me for programmer, but I think it just takes wii and forces it into one of it's videomodes it can do. PAL60 being fully RGB compatible and NTSC not expecting RGB leads, only Svideo. I do not have Svideo lead myself...

To put the problem simply though, is that in NTSC mode the wii does not think of RGB and it does not have setting switches for RGB/Component, whatever, it just acts automatically.
Svideo works with just two wires for video, Black 'n White and also Sync, and color in other lead.
RGB is by name, Red Green Blue, and one of the colors also has Sync included to it, on Playstation systems it's Green, on Wii it seems to be red - because unless the system specifically is sending RGB signal, the red becomes dominant.
So TLDR; Back to starting line: Wii does not think RGB is a thing in NTSC mode, would be cool if there was a way to get it to understand it.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand this thread... The OP is an American, with an American Wii... Why would he need to force PAL60, unless he's running a PAL TV?

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
get a s-video cable. that is the best you can do.

i have a pal wii and i bought an official RGB scart cable just for the OP's purpose. but with NTSC wii, you are out of luck. just like with NTSC gamecube.

Just be glad Wii has the homebrew options it does.

Gamecube was set in hardware. If this is even possible, you'd have to de-solder video chips.
I've never heard of an attempt.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.