Gaming REWIND! 02/01/08 - Nintendo DS to Begin Full Game Downloads

Would you use this service?

• Yes, unquestionably.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only if the game wasn't in stores.

• Yes, but only if it's cheaper.

• Yes, but only if it came with a manual

• Yes, but only if its cheaper and comes with a manual

• No, I prefer to buy the game in stores

• I already use a free digital download service.

• Total voters

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Nintendo DS to Begin Full Game Downloads

We've long known the NIntendo DS to be a capable of downloading content like demos from kiosks, but "complete games" will soon be downloadable through the Wii, and then Wi-Fi transferable to the DS, according to Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime's interview with the NYT. But for the moment, only one game has been announced—Professor Layton. So we're left with more questions than answers. Will Nintendo open up their retro gaming Virtual Console to older Gamboy titles? But even more importantly, will Nintendo really let you download games without a catch?

For instance, how will the games be stored on the DS? Or will they be stored at all? In DS retail kiosks, demo content is only shared with the DS in a temporary buffer—nothing is actually written to the system's hard drive because the unit has no such storage. So once you turn off the DS, you lose your demo forever.

Nintendo could deal with such an issue in two ways. First, they could use a system like the DSVision or R4, essentially a writable DS cartridge, to store these downloadable titles. Or, as the company is facing incredible amounts of piracy already (before putting the emulation technology into the hands of all consumers), Nintendo could limit the system just as they do DS kiosks. It's feasible that consumers will only have access to the downloaded games between the time they're synced and the time that the DS is turned off.

Saving games could become problematic in this scenario, but one has to wonder why Nintendo would put the Wii in the equation at all, otherwise.
But at the moment, downloadable DS titles seem like a good idea. We'll be interested to see how this unfolds.

Source: Gizmodo

Now there's some food for thought. With the recent DSi fulfilling the one barrier for this idea to truly work - that being the storage solution - perhaps this will now become a reality? The idea isn't entirely new, with XBLA and PSN offering new titles over the internet, and with Criterion offering a full game (Burnout Paradise) both over retail and PSN. Plus, downloading older titles isn't new either (PS3 with the PS1 games, Wii with the VC and 360 with the old XBOX titles).

Plus, with the DSi also having its own built in DSiWare Shop, the need for a Wii to download the title first is no longer necessary.

So, what do you think of this idea? Actually, lets add a poll to boot. Would you use this download service, where you can download new DS titles straight to your DS? Or would you still prefer just going down to the store and buying them?

X D D X

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It's a pretty good idea for people who actually buy games. But then would need to have a Wii too, downloading straight from DSi Ware would be much simpler.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, Nintendo half way fulfilled this... the Wii's Nintendo Channel, you can download demos to your DS...

No, not full games, but just like a store kiosk, you can demo a game right from your Wii...

Notice I said they HALF fulfilled... demo's from home with your Wii, just not full games.

Full games would be hard, seeing how the RAM in the DS is only what, 256k or some crazy small amount...

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
zidane_genome said:
Well, Nintendo half way fulfilled this... the Wii's Nintendo Channel, you can download demos to your DS...

No, not full games, but just like a store kiosk, you can demo a game right from your Wii...

Notice I said they HALF fulfilled... demo's from home with your Wii, just not full games.

Full games would be hard, seeing how the RAM in the DS is only what, 256k or some crazy small amount...
Wasn't it 4mb?

And I don't think this will, well, work..

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
It's 4MB. Besides, didn't people see what I said below? The DSiWare Shop negates the need for the Wii, and the SD card slot in the DSi means it doesn't need to be held in RAM.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really depends on the price, maybe if a game was under half the price of retail but then most games are under half price at retail anyway after a few months.

It would be great if they'd offer the titles that didn't do so well like Soul Bubbles on this service instead of ones like Layton which has been a big hit already.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I actually don't have any feeling about this, I really don't care if they'll do it or not, there are almost none chances that this will ever become a reality in Croatia, and also, I already have my source of getting "downloadable" games..

Anyways, my ultimate plan is wait till next gen. handheld is released..Games for NDS are stopped producing, and then I'll get myself 32 GB microSD (or 16 GB), and put up all games that were worth checking up! So I'll have ultimate gaming experience in my pocket..
I already did it with GBA and 2 GB microSD..

That way, I'll have enough games to play for years!!
evil.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
There are two options:

a) Release some sort of flashcard to hold and run the downloaded games from WHAT AM I SAYING, NINTENDO AND FLASHCARDS? Not even remotely possible.

b) Have the game download every level from the Wii, i.e. be stuck at home. Which sort of beats the point of a portable console.

Neither option seems plausible.

We wait and see.

Zane

Ace Wizard
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd use it, i mean it's about time we can download all the old Gameboy games, maybe even GBC and GBA in the end.

It fits perfectly for the DSI, seeing as you said, Wii has all their backwards compability, 360 has Xbox, and PS3 got Ps1 games.

And seeing as it can be hard to find some of these GB,GBC, GBA games in stores anyway, i'm happy if i can download them directly to my DSi.

Reaper

Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think the best idea is a Nintendo® Certified Game Download Cartridge(for $70). With that cartridge, you could connect to the internet and download a game for over $10 its original value at a whopping 2kb/s(6kb/s on DSi)!

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Kelsey said:
Dosen't the DSi have some sort of SD slot?
Would they not go onto that?
That will be for the DSiWare games. Those will probably be downloadable directly to the DSi. I got the impression they were talking about content that could be run on any DS.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I think it's a great idea, as long as the prices reflect the fact that they haven't had to package and distribute the titles. Hopefully seeing more even pricing across regions too. Okay, so I'd except some price differences for the localiastion/translation effort required, though lets be honest probably wishful thinking on this one anyway. Having a short demo of each title to try before buying would be brilliant too.

As for which titles they pick, maybe having the big name games on there would be a pretty good idea too. Nintendo have proven year after year that they're completely useless when it comes to availiablity of their popular titles, which pisses off their casual customer base to no end. Being able to download Professor Layton would've made at least 4 of my work colleague's christmas shopping a heckuva lot less of a headache.

The only problem with virtual content is the worry that if it gets deleted you've got to pay again. I'm not sure how they'd safeguard against this one.

Manuals: most DS games are playable without a manual anyway, so that doesn't make much difference to me, but I'm sure they'd provide a virtual on-screen manual anyway. Probably stored on or accessible on the Wii. I can't imagine them just throwing the game at casual gamers and expecting them to figure it out.

As for whether I'd personally use the service: I don't have a Wii. (and won't be buying one either)
But answering theoretically, yes I would, if it was cheaper than going to the store.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Psyfira said:
The only problem with virtual content is the worry that if it gets deleted you've got to pay again. I'm not sure how they'd safeguard against this one.

I think the same thing applies with Wii Channels and whatnot. You have one account, and anything you buy is "saved" to that account. If you delete paid items and want to download, you are able to do so for free (unless you forget account details or whatnot--a similar system is in place with the iPhone).

Anyway, I think the system would be good if the prices were reasonable (let's say I wanted to download a whole bunch of GB games. I don't expect to pay more than $1 for like...an entire collection of some type of them). Going back to Apple's App Store, EA has come under some fire by selling dime-a-dozen Tetris for $5, though it's still highly-ranked regardless.

I can see Nintendo extending their Virtual Console to the Gameboy line with this. Just, the matter is the pricing of the games.

I don't see myself using it what with...uh, the obvious, but I like the idea anyway.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I already use a free digital download service. 'Nuff said.

No, seriously. If they were cheaper than a retail cart, and only if I was sure I could get a replacement for free if it's deleted (an SD corruption may happen, it's not that unusual), I'd use the service.

Edit: Oh, and if the game was released some time earlier than in the stores. That would be a good incentive to purchase them via Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.