Revo K101+: Sound is horrid

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by L551, Sep 21, 2016.

1. L551
    OP

L551 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    I got my K101+ today, and the sound... uggh. I didn't expect exact 1:1 of the original GBA hardware, but it's missing sound effects out of games entirely. The battle network series, which I love, has the buster sound effects replaced with a loud beep instead, and the enemy explosion/deletion effects is just completely off.

Does anyone else have sound problems with this unit? I feel like I wasted my $75.

2. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    tthis si with every game? maybe a rom problem?

3. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    I had a Revo K101+ for a long time and never once had sound issues with it... Maybe try what @Sliter suggested and try a different ROM dump or a different game completely, just to make sure.

4. L551
    OP

L551 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    I've tried a few different games (GBC included), and they all exhibit this issue. Digimon Battle Spirit has all hit sound effects replaced with beeps. I'm using ROM dumps from the no-intro set, as that was recommended. I've made a small video here

edit: different dump makes no difference.
    Edit 2: Retail cart, same thing. Looks like it's a defective K101.

Last edited by L551, Sep 21, 2016
  5. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    If it's defective, get your money back, then try for another. Or you can get a hackable N3DS and use AGB_FIRM on it to play GBA natively. The tools and posts here and here will help immensely for the latter.

6. L551
    OP

L551 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    United States

I already have a N3DSXL running Luma3DS and A9LH. But I got the revo since I thought it would be better for GBA games.

7. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    Understandable. I did mine backwards of yours. I had the Revo before I hacked my N3DS. But once I got GBA running on it, I used the Revo less and less, especially with finding a way to get cheats working, along with the color and ghosting fixes. My advice would be to get your money back and put your GBA games on the N3DS, unless you actually have people who you use the GameLink features with.