Hacking Revive of old apps ?

nxtgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I'm just wondering if we will ever be able to bring back apps like Skype or Youtube for Vita! I'm not sure why they ever cancelled the apps anyway.

tuxdude143

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi I'm just wondering if we will ever be able to bring back apps like Skype or Youtube for Vita! I'm not sure why they ever cancelled the apps anyway.
Skype really serves no purpose whatsoever but the youtube app seeing a comeback would be pretty neat. As it's a free app I'm assuming it most likely has no DRM on the PKG file (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) so if someone managed to snag the PKG at some point then it could be possible to sideload it.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skype really serves no purpose whatsoever but the youtube app seeing a comeback would be pretty neat. As it's a free app I'm assuming it most likely has no DRM on the PKG file (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) so if someone managed to snag the PKG at some point then it could be possible to sideload it.
look on ps3hax. there's a whole thread dedicated to vita pkg files and youtube is part of it. it even comes straight from sonys DL servers.

nxtgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes but they cut the service not just the app

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Yes but they cut the service not just the app
so, no.
if skype updated their system, their side, which in turn made it so old versions of skype won't work, nothing we can do about that.
i'm not sure if earlier versions of skype (for pc, etc) still work, maybe they keep some backwards compatibility. i doubt it though.

i doubt it's a meaningless lockout that can be circumvented by changing a few values. (maybe, who knows)

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
i'm not sure if earlier versions of skype (for pc, etc) still work, maybe they keep some backwards compatibility. i doubt it though.
They do, actually.
The last version of Skype for Linux was 4.1. Microsoft stopped pushing updates to Linux, however the app is still fully compatible with the modern counterparts.
... Well, apart from missing emoticons (those appear as text), and formatting (that appears as normal, unformatted text).

Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I swallowed macaroni & cheese for dinner. :P +1