Revive a (probably) broken wiimote?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Taleweaver, Feb 4, 2011.

Feb 4, 2011
  1. Taleweaver
    OP

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    About a year back, I went out and bought a third wiimote (an official nintendo one). This was pretty much exclusively for the guitar hero drums that I occasionally used. After I grew tired of it, the wiimote started collecting dust together with that drums.

Fast forward to about a month ago. I was going on vacation with friends, and wanted to bring all my stuff. That's when I noticed that one wiimote didn't work. Assuming that the batteries must've ran out (still the original ones that came with the wiimote), I just replaced them.
    ...but those didn't work either. After switching the batteries and turning on the wiimote, the lights would flicker for just a second and then go out again. Pressing buttons afterwards don't do anything, unless you take the batteries out and put them back in again (in that case, it's once again just working for a few seconds).

I tried multiple batteries, all of which I'm sure are full. I tried resynchronizing the wiimote more times than I can recall, but aside from the thing working up to an amazing five seconds before going off again, it didn't do anything.

...and of course, I couldn't find the receipt anymore (plus it'd probably be just out of guarantee period). So I decided to just suck it up. With all the pirating I'm doing, it's not like nintendo and me are even close to being up to par with each other (arrrrrr!!!).

However, I never came around to actually throw the thing away. I probably should, but perhaps I'm missing something. So hence this thread: is there some way to get a non-responsive wiimote to work aside from switching batteries and/or resynching?

Thanx for whatever response I might get. [​IMG]

2. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    I had a 3rd party one that misbehaved in a similar manner to yours but it mysteriously just started working again. Maybe its time for this Wiimote to walk tha' plank?

3. digdug3

Newcomer digdug3 Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Try using some "Contact Spray" wait about 30minutes and replace the batteries for (good/duracel) ones.
    This helped me with 2 of mine.

Contact spray can be bought at you local do-it-yourself shop.

4. Taleweaver
    OP

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I guess that's worth a shot. Especially since I just happen to have a can of it just within eyesight. [​IMG]

(you're refering to the same kind of spray that is used to clean screens and keyboards, right?)

It'll be the first (and probably last) time I'll ever bring a wiimote to work. [​IMG]

5. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    No, not the same, You need Electrical contact cleaner. For swithes and pot-meters.

6. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I have very similar with mine occasionally mate. I don't think its the wiimotes themselves, I think its to do with the way the wii syncs em and possibly locks em out.

I have found, with a wiimote that just won't appear to sync (this even happened with me with a brand new wii mote + recently), I think its do with which is set as P2 or something along those lines. Basically I was using one as a P2 and the next time I went to use that wiimote, it wouldn't switch the wii on. The other still worked fine, tried syncing, got it flashing a bit but wouldn't sync. new batteries, batteries left out for a while etc, resyncing countless times etc..
    In the end, I started a 2 player of NSMB. Once you get into the 2 player game where you have to add the new wiimote, this allowed it to join in. No need to resync or anything, it was ready to go once I switched it on, as if the problem had never existed.

And I know I've seen it from time to time before so I personally think its a bug in multiplayer code that doesn't always unlock the wiimote from player 2, 3 or 4 to allow it to boot up as the primary wiimote.

Another reason I believe it to be along those lines is when I've again had similar issues, I have switched the wii on with the wiimote. And its synced itself up as P2, with no P1 on.

Sure its a bug on nintendo's side, probably to make people buy wiimotes when they don't need em as I nearly did. Well I was about to take that wiimote+ back as it literally did it the day I got it after working fine for a bit.
    Or maybe even not nintendo's side, it may even have something to do with usb loaders or cios as I've only ever noticed it when playing through usb loaders (but then again I haven't played a disc based game since usb loaders were released, lol)