Revisiting another oldie.

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by GeekyGuy, Oct 17, 2007.

Oct 17, 2007

Revisiting another oldie. by GeekyGuy at 3:03 AM (1,249 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    The Pirates of the Caribbean ~ At World's End

[​IMG]

Yeah, I know, this isn't a game you would think deserves a chance -- I didn't. I even played through the first level sometime back, and said "meh." But tonight, after being bored of everything because Phantom Hourglass was so awesome...even the second time around, I tried At World's End once more, and I'm pretty delighted with the game. If you can get past the first level with all its obligatory tutorial stuff, the game's actually quite entertaining. The combat is nothing more than a two-button mash fest, but overall the game has a kinda of pocket God of War / Rayman quality to it.

I've only played about an hour of it so far, but it's one you may consider checking out, or re-checking out if you're a bored adventure fan like myself.

2. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I actually liked both of the Pirates games for DS. Hated the movies, but the games were fun....for me at least.

3. Ducky

Member Ducky QUACKJECTION!

Israel
    Not enugh adventure games? There are lots to the DS

Castelvenia(Both)
    Drawn to life
    Kirby ( Both)
    Lost Magic
    Mario and luigi - partners in time
    New super mario bros
    Super Mario 64 DS
    Super Princess Peach
    Wario - Master of disguse
    Yoshi Island DS
    Zelda Phantom hourglass (considering you already finished that?)

Hmm I might give this game a try even though i'm not a fan of movie based games..

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Didn't mind that game it was alright but it did get a bit repetitive after I got half way through it.

5. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Most of those games on your list I agree are good games...most of them. But we do have few action / adventure games to choose from on the DS. I'm now on Davy Jone's Locker, and the game actually does ramp up a bit, making the enemies kind of invincible. It's still a very easy game aside from what you need to figure out in order to progress, and that's certainly where its fun lies, I'd say. A game probably best described as a guilty indulgence. [​IMG]

BTW, Rayder, I'm a little ways into the Davy Jone's Locker part, as stated, and am stuck at this one part where you're on a cliff on one side and two dead pirates on the other. I'm unable to go back to get fire, and there's none available where I am. Do you remember what is needed to progress that area?

Thanks

6. Ducky

Israel

You understand that platformer and RPG are still adventure games.. Right?

7. CrEsPo

Member CrEsPo GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I might try this game at one point, but not anytime soon. Right now I'm playing through Zelda and Bleach. I don't play 8+ hours a day (no time really) so I wont beat both games any time soon.

I remember playing the demo of PotC on the XBOX 360 and it did seem like a fun game so I'm sure the NDS port is a great game as well.

8. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    It's a fine line, but I think by adventure he means platformers that're a little more serious. The cutesy, kiddy-friendly characters of Mario, Kirby and Yoshi don't quite cut it.

9. Ducky

Israel

Oh well I guess you'r right.. But well then agian , Mario yoshi and all these animated "Cuties" are just part of what nintendo really is..

10. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    I guess to me, I think of those types of games, if not platformers, as action games. An adventure or action / aventure, the way I think of it, is a game that also has aspects where you take time out to either solve puzzles or fight enemies, etc.

Now, the console Mario games have, of course, gone beyond the traditional platformer-type game, but in general Yoshi's Island or a Kirby game on the handheld are pretty much not-stop action.

11. Ducky

Israel

I guess thats the reason why I like such games.. I'm a speed + Nintendo Fan xP

12. pkprostudio

Member pkprostudio No

United States
    I just want to say one thing: My walkthrough for this game on GameFAQs will never be complete.