Review - Warioware: Twisted! (GBA)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by Volsfan91, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2006
  1. Volsfan91

Member Volsfan91 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 3, 2006
    United States

Every so often, a game comes along that is so unique in style or functionality that a community immediately falls in love with it. This is the case with Warioware: Twisted!. I know that I often use the word “unique” too much, but in a gaming community today that can appreciate even the most re-hashed game, it's great to find a game that offers up something completely new.

The general premise of the Warioware series hinges on the “microgames” strategy. Instead of throwing a bunch of average sized mini-games at you, the developers have coined a new term: microgame. These aren't even big enough to be considered a mini-game. Each microgame is no longer than 5-7 seconds, with the majority being between 3 and 5 seconds.

Let's get something out of the way: Twisted is so unique that it is only one of two games to be packaged on a special Gameboy Advance cartridge that includes a gyro sensor. (Looking back on it, was it a sneak preview of the Wiimote? You decide.) Here's a picture: (sorry for the small image. Also, this isn't a US cart)

The gyro sensor is awesome! I didn't think that Warioware could get any better, but this addition of a new “medium”, if you will, ups the ante by quite a bit. Also, this mechanism is used in virtually every part of the game. From the menu to the games themselves, you'll rarely (if ever, if I remember correctly) find yourself reaching for the [shudders] d-pad. Here's a picture of the menu. You tilt your GBA or DS to navigate the menu to your selection.

The games use this mechanism as well. Whether it's keeping a little race car on track or keeping something in balance, I love using the tilt sensor to play a game in a whole new way. It puts a new spin (pun INTENDED) on the classic frenetic Warioware style.

Rating: 10/10

Colorful and stylized, like the other Warioware games.

The games look nice, and the transition effects between games is always cool. The overall look of the game has a high production quality, and it's a really good finish on the game. I especially like the characters themselves.

The microgames themselves each seem to carry their own individual artistic style that gives the game a mixed-up, mashed up style that keeps the game intense and constantly changing. The game won't dazzle you with some really expensive special effects, but the key is the overall appearance and quality. On these two things, Warioware delivers.

Rating: 9/10

As with the graphics, all of the minigames have different sound styles. One second, you may be playing a rock guitar for a microgame. Then, the next microgame, you'll be hearing almost nothing as a mouse darts around the screen. I think that the contrast from one microgame to the next keeps the game fresh and interesting.

The music is very nice sounding, and because all of the microgames feature a variety of sounds and music, you know that a lot of time was spent in the sound department.

Overall, I won't remember the game for the music, but I won't dismiss it for bad music. Nice job, team.

Rating: 8/10

If there is a series that I love based on pure replay value, it's the Warioware series, no doubt about it. You can go through and play each level, going for high scores. Or, you can play each individual microgame, going through the progression for each. It's up to you. Getting high enough scores unlocks actual mini-games for you to play.

Some of the games are also 2 player, so it's good to have a friend around for 10 or 15 minutes of play. It's on one system, so that's an awesome touch. One of the games involves a power struggle. Each player tries to tilt the GBA as much as they can, and the first to push the other over wins.

It's definitely a game that will keep you coming back again and again. This is something that I value in a game.

Rating: 10/10

If you're a fan of the series, you have no reason not to pick up Warioware: Twisted! Anyone who is expecting a pure redo of the original Warioware will not be disappointed to find that everything has been redone, and the games are similar only in premise. The gyroscopic cartridge keeps things interesting, and will probably be the only game you ever own with this capability.

Final Mathematical Score: 94/100

Mathematical explanation:
    Each category is given a mathematical weight, so that each category matters more than others. Obviously, gameplay is more important than sound. Also, I plan on eventually revising the weights, but here goes the current scale:

Gameplay: Weight of 4 (times score)
    Graphics: Weight of 2 (times score)
    Sound: Weight of 2 (times score)
    Replay Value: Weight of 2 (times score)

So, the score for this game is like this:
    Gameplay: 4x(10)
    Graphics: 2x(9)
    Sound: 2x(8)
    Replay Value: 2x(10)

Add them all up, and you get... 94/100

This has been a Volsfan91 review of Share your thoughts, comments, or opinions through private message if you so choose!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.