Review - Supercard Lite

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by gmazin, Dec 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2006

Review - Supercard Lite by gmazin at 10:22 PM (3,899 Views / 0 Likes) 0 replies

1. gmazin

Newcomer gmazin Newbie

Dec 24, 2006
    Supercard Lite Review
    Made for
    Only for use on gbatemp, shop.01media, and shtbc

First, I would like to thank Shop01 for providing me with this sample. If you live in Europe, they are the way to go. I’ve got my SCLite in 3 days and I live overseas!

Released in August of 2006, the Supercard Lite is still one of the best flashcard solutions on the market today. Fitting flush into your DSLite, It boasts the ability of perfect NDS compatibility, and no slowdown in games with a regular ‘manilla’ MicroSD card. But does the card hold up with the competition?

The Supercard comes in a nice velvet-covered tray held within a fancy-yet-simple partly glossy white box. The words on the packaging show signs of badly translated English, as with most other companies on the flashcard market. The box comes with no manual, but they do give you a link to their website (which is where you will get all software necessary).

Picture of the Supercard Lite box

The software, which is located on their website, is pretty simple and straightforward to use. The first thing you will want to do is upgrade your SC to the latest firmware, which will allow you to play the latest backups. The software has a simple blue look to it, and is easy to figure out after playing with it a few minutes.

When you open the software, there are two tabs. The ‘options’ tab is mostly for settings for GBA games, and lets you set your ‘Out’ path(which is where your patched games will be placed). The ‘Game List’ tab is where you have a list of games to be converted. When you click ‘add’, the software allows you to add an .nds or a .zip for patching. When you press ‘out’, your games get converted and placed at the output path you chose in the ‘options’ tab.

The Supercard Lite really shines in this section. I have yet to come across upon a non-working NDS game (with the single exception of the DS browser, like other cards). Homebrew support is also very good, as most modern homebrew programs have support for this card (however there may be a chance that some older homebrew may not work). Be warned, however, as GBA compatibility is not as good as some may want it to be. There are a lot of games that slow down or don’t work. If you want a flashcard primarily for playing GBA games, then pick a different one.

I have done several tests to see how the Supercard Lite performs in comparison to original game carts. The tests show, as promised, that there is little difference between the two. The Castlevania intro runs smooth, and there is no lag when playing Animal Crossing.

While Supercard Lite boasts perfect compatibility, is there any difference between the real game and the Supercard itself?

All tests were done with a manilla 1GB SanDisk MicroSD card.

Asphalt Urban GT 2 – Plays like original game cart
    Final Fantasy 3 – Plays like original game cart, no slowdown in the movie intro
    Phoenix Wright – Plays like original game cart
    Phoenix Wright: Justice for All – Plays like original game cart, both languages work
    Children of Mana – Plays like original game cart
    Elite Beat Agents – Plays like original game cart, with an occasional graphic glitch at the beginning of a song

So from this test you can see all games that I tested, with the exception of Elite Beat Agents, worked perfectly.

What about homebrew? Supercard has generally had good homebrew support with its other cards, but does SCLite maintain the record?

MoonShell – Works perfectly, no noticeable speed increase for movies from the “high-speed” game technology
    DSAIM – Works perfectly
    Beup – Works, but no fatlib support (which means no storing usernames or passwords)
    REIN – Works perfectly
    NDSmail - Works perfectly
    DSOrganize – Works good, but unable to save scribbles or create files, renaming or editing works however
    DoomDS – Works Perfectly
    NitroTracker – Works perfectly after being patched with “moomshell patcher” found on their website

So as you can see homebrew support is good and increasing, and the only problem is when homebrew uses old fatlib.

At about 50 euro, this flashcard is defiantly worth the money. As a homebrew developer, this cart did everything I wanted in a simple and effective manner. While commercial GBA support could use some work, homebrew is fine. Overall, this backup device should not disappoint.

Packaging – 6/10
    Software – 8/10
    Compatibility – 9/10
    Performance 9.5/10
    Overall(Not an average) – 8.8/10

Picture of Supercard Lite in my DS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.