Review: Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by TwinRetro, Feb 24, 2010.

Feb 24, 2010
  1. TwinRetro
    OP

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Ah, Mario Kart clones, how I adore thee. But, wait! This one's a bit different! I'll explain this in detail a bit later.

Graphics: Beautiful by Wii's standards. the Vibrant colors of the Samba De Amigo tracks to the dark and dank tones of Curien Mansion. No expenses were spared to make this game pop on the screen. The Kart designs are unique and varied (for the most part), and at no point during my play through did I not feel impressed with the track designs(except for gameplay but that comes next). Though at times, The colors and designs are a bit distracting, and if you pay too much attention ogling at the scenery, you will most likely slam into a wall. 8/10

Gameplay: The races are VERY fast most of the time with the boost panels and the drifting. In most of the tracks, you most likely won't be going more than a few seconds without a turbo boost, once you get the hang of drifting. I heard some of you give worry about Snaking playing a large factor here. It is, but in this case, it's really no cause for concern, as Snaking is supposed to play a large part in the game, and it's easy enough to where everyone can do it. Getting the timing right between boosts is the hard part. Like Mario Kart, Drifting gives you varying degrees of boost depending on how long you hold your Drift. S&S Racing has 3 levels, as Mario Kart only has 2. The second level here will give you a slightly larger boost, and you will be able to knock out some obstacles without harm (Zombies, Monkey Balls, Eggbots, etc...) The third level lets you knock out the same obstacles, gives you a larger boost, and if you hit another Kart hard enough you will bowl them over. There are different ways to boost. The most prevalent one being Drifting. If you don't know how to drift, learn quickly. Even on the Beginner's cups on the Beginner's difficulty setting they WILL beat the paint off of you if you do not know how to drift. The second most prevalent way to boost is boost panels. Using these in junction with drifting will make sure you almost never have to be without turbo boost. The third way is using the Speed Shoes. Its the equivalent of the mushrooms in Mario Kart. These come in single and a 3-pack. The fourth and final way to boost is probably the easiest. Tricks. Doing tricks in the air will earn you boost, and there are a LOT of jumps in this game. Your level of Boost will be determined by how many tricks in the air are done. 1 = level 1, 2 = level 2, and 3 = level 3. If your character has a Motorcycle, you can do tricks on land, but only level 1 boost can be obtained here.

If you ever get sick of just racing, head over to Mission mode, and do the missions there. It is the best way to gain Sega Miles (Currency), and the missions have great variety so you'll never be bored. All missions are character specific, so the mission decides your character.

That being said, Items play a much smaller part in the gameplay than Mario Kart, making this game more skill based than it's First Party counterpart. Not to say items are useless. The basic items, in the large part, were ripped straight from Crash Team Racing for the PS1. Bubble shield, Boost, Rockets, and Bowling Bombs, but with slight differences. The Bubble shield you cannot shoot at other players. The missles can go around corners, like the Blue Shell from MK, and the Bowling Bombs you cannot remote detonate. The other items are a shooting star, that will turn the other player's screen upside down, a Pocket Rainbow that will obscure another players screen with a Rainbow Effect, exploding road cones (self explanatory), and a large missile, that will rocket it's way down the course, but will not actually hit anyone. It needs to be remote detonated next to a player. There are also All-Star items unique to each character. Examples being, a Chaos Sphere that turns Sonic into Super Sonic, and makes him gain very fast speed and invincibility, knocking down players as he touches them. Amy has the Pico Hammer, which will squish anyone foolish enough to get close to her, and Eggman that will let off a barrage of missiles, blowing away anyone in front of him.

Each Character handles differently enough to where it feels like there is no clones (Ala Mario & Luigi) every character is unique in look, vehicle, and stats. That being said, it seems some characters even handle differently apart from their stats. Like with Shadow, I found it easy to drift with him, and with Tails, I could hardly get him to drift at all.
    You also use Sega Miles to unlock characters ranging from Yu Suzuki from Shenmue, to lesser known characters like Opa Opa from Fantasy Zone.

Each track felt very different, and provided a unique challenge of their own, that being said, the Monkey Ball Levels seems the hardest, with many sharp turns, and even U-turns in the later tracks, making Drifting a challenge.
    7/10

Sound: There isn't much to speak of with the sound. The Announcer is silly and over the top with memorable quotes being "Where did you people learn how to drive? a Farm?" and he says many character specific things like "Here comes sonic from behind! I wouldn't want to get in the way of THAT hedgehog!" The announcer can be annoying at times, but he has enough sayings in his arsenal to where he won't be constantly grating on your nerves.

The character voices on the other hand are much more limited. Each character has about 3 or 4 sayings and thats about it. They WILL say the same thing over and over. EG: Knuckles, "Shut up!" "Out of my way!"

The music is pretty standard fare. I was hoping for a remixed sound track, but each track, is sadly just ripped from each respective game, for each track. Kind of a let down.

6/10

Online: Well, that's the question isn't it? How is the online play? My answer? Okay, but could be better. As of yet there is no way to add a person to your friends list from a random game. There is also no way to avoid or block a person. This concerns me because even just playing online yesterday, there were ALREADY cheaters. (Unlimited item hack) Besides that, there is no lag, and the lobby system is fairly plain. You just sit there until the game starts. no participation whatsoever.
    6/10

Overall: I should say that this game is mostly on par with Mario Kart. If you like a skill based racing game, pick this up. If you like speed, pick this up. If you like being blasted from 1st right at the finish line with a blue shell, and end up finishing last, stick with Mario Kart.

Controls: The controls are standard fare. you can play with either the nunchuk, the classic controller, or with the wiimote itself. Points are being taken off for not supporting the Gamecube Controller however. If you are using the classic controller you should be fine. I have not use the wiimote, or wiimote/nunchuk combo as of yet so I cannot speculate on it.
    8/10

Verdict: 7/10

2. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Nice read dude, and as i imagined the game would play, not a great game and not a total disaster either.

3. TwinRetro
    OP

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I like it a lot better than Sega All-Stars Tennis that's for sure [​IMG]

Now all we need is a Sonic & Sega All-Stars Brawl

4. nehe32

Member nehe32 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Not a bad review by any means [​IMG]
    I wouldn't mind trying this game after reading this.

5. hughjass

Member hughjass GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Well I actually picked up the sega all stars tennis one not long ago, for £3 for my 360! I saw it in gamestation and thought I might as well, seeing as it was so cheap. Turns out I would've payed more for it than that, it's a GREAT game, great visuals, controls, game mechanics etc.

So I reckon this racing one will be a laugh, just some mindless fun.