[Review] R4i Gold 3DS Plus

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by el_ssbb_boy, Nov 4, 2017.

1. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    If your system is on 11.3...why did you buy the cart over an R4i Gold 3DS RTS? You could hack it for free, the Plus doesn't have RTS afaik and can't be flashed with GM9, and is in general a better cart if you don't need NTRBoot.

2. Isso_Non_Ecxiste

Isso_Non_Ecxiste Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2016
    Brazil
    My Imaginary World
    i just thought it was the best option 4 me ;v

3. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    The game should work with the card. Can you try another MicroSD card or check if your ROM is unpatched?

He wants to play a DS game. The R4i Gold 3DS Plus is the successor of the RTS and has RTS. It's one of the 2, 3 best cards for DS games.

Isso_Non_Ecxiste likes this.
  4. icemule1

icemule1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2011
    United States
    I'm a noob when it comes to these flashcarts and I really need some help. This review looked good so I went and bought this flashcart (R4i Gold Plus RTS). I thought it would play 3DS games but I can't figure out how to get it to do it. It can read regular DS games just fine but that's not what I'm looking for. Am I correct in that I wasted my $20? I'm running firmware 6.3.0-12U on my 3DS. I'm having a hard time finding a beginner's tutorial for this.

Last edited by icemule1, Feb 5, 2018
  5. SirNapkin1334

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    This is for NDS games ONLY. For a flashcart that plays 3DS games, you'll need a Gateway or Sky3DS. HOWEVER, that Flashcart can be used to install CFW to your system, and then you can play 3DS games even easier, with extra features (including DLC pirating), installing stuff to your main menu, unbanning, and MUCH more. Go to https://3ds.guide/ntrboot

DaTank45 and icemule1 like this.
  6. icemule1

icemule1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2011
    United States
    SirNapkin: Thanks for your response. Having some trouble getting this working. I went to the link you provided, but since this flashcart has ntrboot pre-flashed (right?), I skipped that and went to the next section (installing boot9strap). Maybe that is my problem, I need to flash ntrboot? Anyway, I put all the required files (boot.firm, boot.3dsx, boot9strap folder with boot9strap.firm & boot9strap.firm.sha inside) on the SD card from the 3DS and inserted it back in, put the flashcart in "N" mode, inserted flashcart into the 3DS (no microSD inserted in cart), turned on the 3DS and put the it to sleep using the magnet. Held down the select, start, x, and power, and nothing happens. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Getting really frustrated. Any help would be appreciated. I feel like I'm close but something must be missing and I can't figure out what it is. I'm really trying here, so sorry if I'm asking stupid questions.

Last edited by icemule1, Feb 5, 2018
  7. Hunter

Hunter i'ma stuffup the board

Former Staff
    Nov 20, 2003
    Australia
    Melbourne, Australia
    turn the whole 3ds off,

then place the magnet in that location, then use the key combo

icemule1 and SirNapkin1334 like this.
  8. icemule1

icemule1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2011
    United States
    Thank you, that fixed my issue. I've completed the Finalizing Setup section but I'm still unclear on how to actually run a 3DS game. Am I correct in that, at this point, I need to run games by downloading them in .cia format and installing them using FBI? Can the games be stored on the SD card inside the 3DS (it's only 4gb - stock) or can I run them from my flashcart by putting it in "D" mode with inserted MicroSD card?

SirNapkin1334 likes this.
  9. SirNapkin1334

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    You can do both. Use the Flashcart for NDS, the 3DS for 3DS.
    You can also use freeShop to download the games and install them.
    It will be automatically installed the the 3DS's SD card. If you plan on getting lots of games, better get a big SD.
    If you have .3ds roms you want to play, use GM9 to convert them to .cia

icemule1 likes this.
  10. icemule1

icemule1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2011
    United States
    Hunter and SirNapkin, thank you so much for your help and patience. I really appreciate it. I think I'm good to go now.

SirNapkin1334 and Hunter like this.
  11. SG911

SG911 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 20, 2017
    United States
    Bronx, NY
    I know this is an old thread so i aplogize in advance!

I just got mine today. Say i wanna end my game & change to another, do i have to always hit the home button to close it out completely & restart the R4. Is there no button to hit to open a menu during game to change?

12. SirNapkin1334

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Uhh, I think it's R+L+A+B. There is a keycombo, but I can't remember exactly what it is. I know it has R+L.

SG911 likes this.
  13. Darukeru

Darukeru Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2016
    Mexico
    R+L+A+B+Down

SG911 and SirNapkin1334 like this.
  14. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    You can change the hotkey in the settings.

SG911 likes this.
  15. SG911

SG911 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 20, 2017
    United States
    Bronx, NY
    Gotcha! Thank you all three of you above. :)

I wasn't aware of that. Sweet, & i just noticed the option to change the buttons for that & such. Thank you again
    @Technicmaster0 @Darukeru @SirNapkin1334

Technicmaster0 and SirNapkin1334 like this.
  16. Favna

Favna #PCMasterRace

Sep 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    So I just got this card in the mail myself, ordered it from nds-card (https://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?PageNo=2&ProID=575) but whenever I try to launch it in regular mode (to play NDS games) it either stays on a white screen

I have a 16 GB Toshiba FAT32 microSD card inside that worked perfectly fine with my older R4i 3DS RTS (see picture below). I tried to put the Wood firmware on it again but to no avail. The microSD card still works just fine with the old R4 so that's not the problem anyway.

Furthermore the new flashcard also works does NOT work on my classic NDS Lite.

I have confirmed that it is switched to the "D" mode.

Can anyone assist me with this issue?

pictures

Last edited by Favna, Feb 20, 2018
  17. SirNapkin1334

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Did you put the kernal files on the flashcart's mircoSD?
    Edit: oops. didn't realize youdid that

Last edited by SirNapkin1334, Feb 20, 2018 - Reason: im smarrt
  18. Favna

Favna #PCMasterRace

Sep 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    As if by some weird magic. I just tried it again and now it does work. No idea what caused that issue before. I guess it may be a somewhat faulty copy that just required launching it a couple of times but I can live with that. Didn't use the old one too often but I just wanted a double flashed one.

19. el_ssbb_boy
    OP

el_ssbb_boy Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2015
    Spain
    Quick answer:

:rofl:

20. peter88

peter88 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys,
    I just bought a R4i Gold Plus card to play DS games on my new 3DS XL, but when I run it in D mode with the latest Wood Kernel, I just get a black screen.
    I have noticed a couple of people having this issue, so apologies if this is a redundant question. I'm not sure if I should post here or make a separate thread.

Oddly enough, the card works perfectly fine on my old DS lite, so I'm wondering if there is an issue with my new 3DS XL.
    I'm running system version 11.6.0-39E, with homebrew installed (LUMA and so on).

So far I have tried three different sd cards, two sandisk and one toshiba brand, and I even got a replacement R4i Gold plus card from the seller.
    All sd cards have been formatted to FAT32 using "SD card formatter" program.
    I also followed the troubleshooting guide about fixing the DS / DSi functionality listed on the 3DS hacks troubleshooting section.

My conclusion so far is that the issue is either with my new 3DS XL, or there is a fault with the flash card, which only manifests itself when using it with a new 3DS XL.

Any ideas what might be the issue?