Hardware Review of the Cyber Gadget Grip for 3DS

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A couple weeks ago someone here posted THIS THREAD about looking for an accessory 3rd party 'grip' for his regular sized 3DS. And, I mentioned there that I had one on order and would receive it soon. Well, I've been using it heavily now for about a week. Here's what I think.

It is the "Cyber Gadget" 3DS grip. You can find it on Amazon, usually from sellers in Japan. For example, HERE . Make sure you find the right one for your console - AFAIK they're available for o3DS LL, n3DS LL, and regular n3DS. Don't buy the wrong one! These grips cost less than $20 in Japan, but are usually just shy of $30 on Amazon, but that's with slow-as-molasses sea mail shipping included. It's not a bad deal, but you still feel a little raped paying almost $30 for a chunk of plastic. But the question is, is it worth it?

Well, it was to me. I'm 49 years old (ask me anything you wanna know about 1989 and your momma) and I get hand cramps playing on my 3DS, probably much quicker than most of you. I frequently found myself ending game sessions just because my hands were protesting too much. This grip pretty much eliminates the issue. Even online w/ MK7, I never need to hold the 3DS in a death grip, not even when trying to steer and hold a defense item on my backside at the same time.

So, photos of the product ... pls understand it has already seen use and so doesn't look new or perfectly clean anymore.

Typical packaging, nothing special and shouldn't be. I only kept it to take this picture.
fpcGrJH.jpg

You will see the grip referred to as rubber coated. The texture feels that way, but the structure is solid quality plastic.

Xa3dh73.jpg

aAi9rso.jpg

That door on the backside opens, where you can store 2 game carts, and the door itself can also be used as a prop to set the 3DS down at a viewable angle. (I'll never do this, but maybe you will?)

The unit is held together by ten (10!) screws. (there are 2 more out of view in the picture above, behind the finger prongs) It is absolutely rigid, and the 3DS fits so well and securely that you'll never feel like you're holding a grip and console - it's just all one unit in your hand. But, if you need to remove the 3DS, it takes 2 seconds. Just slight pressure on the ledge that sticks out on back and the console slides out.

Ergonomics are very good, but you need to 'train' yourself not to adopt a bad habit. Those finger prongs where a controller trigger button would normally be are the perfect place for your index fingers to rest. But if you do that, you won't be on the shoulder buttons. So then you may think you'll put your middle fingers there. Nope, super awkward. For my hands, I found the best is all three fingers behind the 'prongs' and my index fingers on the 3DS shoulder buttons. It feels 'right' like this after a little playing. Reaching the R2 and L2 shoulder buttons is a stretch, but it kinda always was.

If I had to describe the feel of this grip compared to a real game controller, the closest is probably the wireless Logitech controller for the original XBox. But that probably doesn't help most of you. Anyway, it's comfortable.

afhlbym.jpg

No functions or ports are obscured.

Hd0Zbhh.jpg

Qa7HyUA.jpg

(ac adapter is just to prop the 3DS at an angle for a better view)

And here's the best part of all, for me at least. My N3DS is a regular-sized model (SM3DL bundle). It is basically perfect, i.e. form factor for me is what I wanted, screen is fine, all button action is perfect. But one thing ... hinge wobble is pretty bad. It seems like it actually got worse after a couple weeks of using it, but by then I'd already worked plailect's guide on it (A9LH, Luma 3DS). So I was living with it being floppy, until I got an idea after this thing came along.

See that ledge? It's for removing the grip. Just a little bit of pressure, the 3DS pops right out.

8oXsINn.jpg

Well, I made this rubber wedge from a piece of white Pentel 'plastic eraser.' This is my prototype, i.e. proof of concept.

5N6AT3H.jpg

When the 3DS is opened, the wedge is just the right size and angle to let the top screen just barely pop into the first click, and it holds it exactly there. Shazam! Zero wobble.

R0iOxpj.jpg

Now that I know this works, the plan is to make a more permanent wedge that fits the semi-oval shape of the grip's back ledge, using a slightly stiffer black rubber, and attaching it to the ledge with rubber cement or something. Right now my prototype piece is just loose, but when it's in place and I'm using the 3DS it is held securely in place between the grip ledge and the console lid. Brilliant, right?

This is so much of an improvement that, for me, it would be enough alone to recommend buying the Cyber Gadget 3DS grip. With the obvious added benefit of MUCH better ergonomics (i.e. the thing I was buying it for when I placed the order), it is very, super worth it. But it still hurts to pay near $30 for a chunk of plastic.

vd9CzKe.jpg

So, negatives?? Only one that really matters - your 3DS will be bigger, even cumbersome. For people who play their 3DS on a train commute or something like that, think about whether that's ok or not. I play at home in a comfy chair 99% of the time, so it's not a negative for me at all. The only other thing I could say it that because of the texture and black color, it does show finger grease stains. Easily wiped off with a damp cloth, just like the 3DS, but just FYI.

A 1-to-10 rating?? Ok. Before coming up with my 'hinge lock' mod, I would have given the Cyber grip a 7.5. It does the job it is intended to perform perfectly well, but the price is a bit high. And those finger prongs, while not impeding a comfortable grip, are a bad habit because you need your index fingers on the shoulder buttons. But due to the unintended benefit of that back ledge, with a little wedge of rubber this thing becomes the 3DS-Perfecter. Considering that, 9.0. Buy it.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

PSVITAEnthusiast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great review, I was thinking of getting something similar for my N3DSXL, they were around 30$. On a sidenote, I wonder whether a better 3D printed grip could be made (which a wedge and trigger buttons which have semi-mobile parts to touch the actual triggers).
Oh well, a man can dream...

Reactions: astrangeone

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great review, I was thinking of getting something similar for my N3DSXL, they were around 30$. On a sidenote, I wonder whether a better 3D printed could be made (better wedge and trigger buttons which have semi-moving parts to touch the actual triggers).
Oh well, a man can dream...

Yeah I do have a suspicion that someone's gonna see my idea for the 'hinge lock' and in a couple months "Cyber Grip 2.0" gets announced lol.

Reactions: PSVITAEnthusiast

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Nothing to add to your review, except for...use E6000 glue for the hinge lock part. That stuff is like magic - if you want a permanent bond to anything. Only downside is that it smells awful and takes a couple of days to cure.

I use that glue to secure everything. I did a plastic brooch, and a custom amiibo.

Reactions: Hanafuda

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing to add to your review, except for...use E6000 glue for the hinge lock part. That stuff is like magic - if you want a permanent bond to anything. Only downside is that it smells awful and takes a couple of days to cure.

I use that glue to secure everything. I did a plastic brooch, and a custom amiibo.

Does it cure hard as a rock like epoxy, or in a flexible state? Since I'm gluing a rubber to a solid, I thought it would be best to use something that doesn't get rock hard. Like the glue used on 'rubber feet' for electronics (actually that's a likely source for my 'serious' version).

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Does it cure hard as a rock like epoxy, or in a flexible state? Since I'm gluing a rubber to a solid, I thought it would be best to use something that doesn't get rock hard. Like the glue used on 'rubber feet' for electronics (actually that's a likely source for my 'serious' version).

It stays flexible, so it's not wobbly as hell. (Just checked my Purge Liberty Statue mask - I used the glue to attach elastic bands to the inside of the mask.)

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It stays flexible, so it's not wobbly as hell. (Just checked my Purge Liberty Statue mask - I used the glue to attach elastic bands to the inside of the mask.)

Good deal, I'll look for it then.

Where you one of the guys who ended up crying in frustration over WordPerfect my mother told me about?

I do still mourn, yes. And don't even get me started on the awesomeness of Descent on a 386.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I think the Comfort Grip from DreamGear is the best grip, with a few caveats, mainly no cartridge hole. However if using GW or CFW, it shouldn't really matter too much.

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I think the Comfort Grip from DreamGear is the best grip, with a few caveats, mainly no cartridge hole. However if using GW or CFW, it shouldn't really matter too much.

I like the Cyber for the ease of removing the console (for SD card access), but also it was the best option for me because I've got the regular sized new3DS. Kinda limits the options.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over