Review - Mario Kart DS (NDS)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by yee, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2006

Review - Mario Kart DS (NDS) by yee at 5:13 AM (3,255 Views / 0 Likes) 0 replies

1. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Jul 9, 2006
    Mario Kart DS Review
    By: Bernie Yee

1. Introduction / Story
    2. Gameplay
    3. Graphics and Sound
    4. Replay
    5. Conclusion

Introduction / Story
    The Mario Kart series was and always will be one that will forever change and revolutionize action driving games. I can still remember when I was a kid playing Mario Kart on the SNES and then going ballistic when I saw the graphics on the N64 and I’m pretty sure many others were also like that too. There’s just nothing to not like about Mario Kart!

There isn’t really a story in Mario Kart besides shredding terrain with your Yoshi Eggmobile and winning all the cups.

Gameplay – 10
    Mario Kart has always been a simple driving game that everybody can simple grasp right away.
    At the beginning, you are only given 8 characters to play as, but as you win cups, more will be unlocked giving you a total of 12 (I won’t tell you who they are). Also, you can unlock more karts seen in Mario Kart: Double Dash by also winning more cups.

There are 32 outstanding and graphically beautiful maps to kick butt on. But one of the best feature is that half of these maps are from the other games, Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart: Super Circuit and Mario Kart: Double Dash. The other 16 maps, are newly redesigned maps and are just as much fun to shred with your Eggmobile. There are also new items, most noticeable the Blooper, which sprays a bunch of ink on your screen to distract you.

Within Mario Kart DS, there are 5 single player modes and they include Grand Prix, Time Trial, VS, Battle and Mission Mode.

In Grand Prix, you play out of a max of 4 different CC modes, 50, 100, 150 and an unlockable once you complete 150. And within each CC, there are 8 cups, and within each cup, there are 4 races. You win a cup by being either 1st, 2nd or 3rd in standings, but it’s best to get gold cups because that’s the only way you get unlockables.

Time Trial is pretty self-explanatory. You try to beat your own and ghost racers’ time on different tracks.

VS mode will automatically set up a quick race with you and a few CPUs if you’re ever itching for a quick and fast race.

Ah… battle mode, one of the best things to have been created since toilet paper. This mode is purely for popping caps in your opponents’ behinds and is loads of fun.

Lastly, we have mission mode. There are a number of missions that you must fulfill within a certain amount of time with a driver and car automatically set for you and you will be judged on your performance.

On the bottom screen, there is a map showing everyone is and even showing road hazards. However, if you don’t like it, you can switch to the other layout with a single tap on the touch-screen. The actual game area is on the top screen and the layout has always been the same.

The controls of Mario Kart DS are absolutely simple and well planned out. It doesn’t take long for even beginners to begin shredding and kicking butt in the Eggmobile, (you probably know that this is my favourite kart by now =P). Depending on the kart’s stats, you might see yourself having to tweak the way you play to match the style of the kart and that’s really no big deal.

Graphics and Sound - 10
    The graphics are amazing for a DS! It feels and looks like I’m playing a Playstation or beefed-up N64 game! It reminds me so much of the many times I spent playing Mario Kart 64 on my TV. The colors are amazing and are absolutely vivid and feels very much alive.

Mario Kart DS has one of the best sounds I have ever heard. The DS’ stereo and surround capabilities results in Mario Kart sounding more life-like. Nintendo still retains many of the good and old sounds we’re use to, e.g. Yoshi’s horn to the blue shell swirling around your character. Lastly, the soundtrack to my ears is like what steak is to my taste buds, absolutely amazing and outstanding! Even the retro maps have their old tunes!

Replay – 10
    This game has so much replay ability alone due to Time Trial and Mission mode. But what gives Mario Kart DS a boost in gameplay and replay-ability is the fact that you can play against other people online through Nintendo WiFi Connection and DS to DS WiFi. Yes, you heard me, beating other people from Japan, Mexico, etc, on Yoshi’s Eggmobile. There’s nothing else quite like making people mad by kicking their behinds!
    Along with WiFi, there is also DS download play like all the other games that allows you to share Mario Kart with a buddy wherever you go!
    Mario Kart DS is the absolute un-nonreplayable game, and all these features speak for themselves.

Mario Kart DS is one of the best handheld action racing game ever created by Nintendo and is an excellent new installment in the Mario Kart series.
    The game is simple, graphics and sounds are amazing, WiFi ability, etc. There’s just nothing bad about this game!
    I highly recommend this game if you like Nintendo characters and/or just like action driving games. This game is worth every penny!

FINAL SCORE = 10/10
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.