Hacking Review: Dragon DS Lite Guard Mask

084k3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I love the onyx black but hate the fingerprints and the smooth feel of the case. A little while ago I saw this and thought it was pretty cool:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120209

Wasn't fond of going at my new ndsl with sandpaper so thought one of the suggestions of using a sandblaster was pretty good untill I saw these pictures on how to dismantle the ndsl (not a good idea to sandblast it without taking the outer case off):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62647765@N00/...with/239206041/

That's way too much work, and the possibility of me stuffing it up was too great. A little discouraged I almost gave up until I saw this when ordering my new SC lite:
http://www.kicktrading.ca/product_info.php...products_id=119

Bought it on a whim but loving it
smile.gif
I've had it for about a week now and here's some photos to go with the video review.

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

The thing fits on perfectly and very easily. It just snaps on and I've never had a problem with it falling off or any gaps appearing. I actually had a bit of trouble trying to get it off to take photos
smile.gif

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

The ads say its made of rubber, and I guess it is but its not soft rubber so its not exactly 'non-slip'. If anyone has the motorola e398 its like that. Its hard, smooth rubber/plastic. I can't think of anything else it feels like. It does feel better than the bare ds lite though.

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

All switches and ports are easily accessible and I haven't had any problems turning it on/off or adjusting the volume. After a while I stopped noticing it.

IMG_0998.jpg

All up a great 'case'. A really good alternative to getting one of those zip-up cases or folding cases. And if you're the opposite to me and love the glossy black this is a great way of keeping it looking like new, longer
smile.gif

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Wow, many thanks for the video review and the photos. Now I also know how easy and fast it is to snap on and remove the mask. Looks like I can get rid of my DS Lite cloth pouch and get a Guard Mask instead!

084k3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Forgot to mention I also ordered these (haven't arrived yet) so that's why I'm not too concerned about dust getting into the slots and switches:
http://videogame.brando.com.hk/prod_detail...=008&cat_id=021

(Yeah I know, but they only come in white, but it might look cool on the onyx
smile.gif
)
The screw hole covers aren't really needed with the 'Guard Mask' (Dragon's marketing team should have come up with a better name like 'Dragon Armour') but the other covers should do the trick.

084k3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Forgot to mention I also ordered these (haven't arrived yet) so that's why I'm not too concerned about dust getting into the slots and switches:
http://videogame.brando.com.hk/prod_detail...=008&cat_id=021

They just arrived today and here are some photos:

Came in japanese packaging, but made in china
smile.gif

IMG_1042.jpg
IMG_1043.jpg

They're made of soft plastic that fits into the holes nicely. I only got them today so don't know how well they'll hold up during day-to-day abuse. Might do a follw-up post when I've had them for a little while longer, but at the moment I'm pretty happy they'll last.

The cap that fits over the headphone jacks has a screwhole cap attached to it. Good if you use the headphones a lot and this way you won't loose the cap but bad for me because of my 'guard mask' case. As you can see in these pics the case doesn't close properly so I had to cut it off. Not a problem because I don't use the headphones.

IMG_1051.jpg
IMG_1055.jpg

View of the slot-1 and power caps. I'm a little worried about loosing the power slot cap because it's small and I recharge my DS lite every night. I might try somehow to attach this cap to the slot-1 cap.

You can also tell from these pics that the 'guard mask' is about a millimetre thicker then the caps so there's less chance of the caps getting snagged on something and getting pulled off.

IMG_1063.jpg
IMG_1065.jpg

The 'guard mask' with these caps makes it a perfect combo for me. I like how my DS lite case is protected on almost all sides but I still have full access to the shoulder (L+R) buttons and switches/ports. Other cases might protect the DS better but you have to remove the DS to play or turn it on/off.

(btw i saw you can get the dragon 'guard mask' on ebay or google for a few e-stores that have them.)

wudang

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so with this protector on can you still fit the ds in a ds case?

I just want to be sure i protect the L and R buttons so they don't get caught on something and gets popped off

What do you guys suggest?

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bought 2 of the hori versions of this product and I was semi-satisfied.....fits great, protects great, have access to all the functions and looks pretty much identical to this one except it maintains the DS's smooth finish.....problem? I still think it takes away from the aesthetics of a ds ltie....that's the only reason why I took it off. But to each his own and I do admit it doesn't look bad....just a clean original unscathed DS lite looks better.

96hondaex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I ordered this case on 10/11 from kicktrading.ca and just got it on 10/30. I did like the way it feels but not how it fit on the DSL. The top cover it came with will not stay on after being snapped in place. It will all of a sudden snap off while playing or closing the top cover. Any type of movement or touch will cause it to fall off. The bottom piece fit just fine.

I did e-mail kicktrading.ca about this and they were willing to do an exchange for me but I would then have to ship the top cover (15 days) then wait for them to send the replacement back (another 15-20 days) so I just said nevermind.

Just an fyi...
lecture.gif

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I really like the the case in the pics on the first post and think I'ma get one as I always drop my DS and have already broken one dropping it. I just wonder how much protection it offers. Atm I use a padded official Nintendo pouch made by Hori but that doesn't allow play when the DS is in it.
My ideal case would be something like the PlayGear pocket for PSP by Logitech but a bit smaller and thinner for DS. The case is skinnable and you can play the unit while its in it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: