Review: Dragon DS Lite Guard Mask

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by 084k3, Oct 8, 2006.

Oct 8, 2006
  1. 084k3
    OP

Newcomer 084k3 Newbie

I love the onyx black but hate the fingerprints and the smooth feel of the case. A little while ago I saw this and thought it was pretty cool:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120209

Wasn't fond of going at my new ndsl with sandpaper so thought one of the suggestions of using a sandblaster was pretty good untill I saw these pictures on how to dismantle the ndsl (not a good idea to sandblast it without taking the outer case off):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/62647765@N00/...with/239206041/

That's way too much work, and the possibility of me stuffing it up was too great. A little discouraged I almost gave up until I saw this when ordering my new SC lite:
    http://www.kicktrading.ca/product_info.php...products_id=119

Bought it on a whim but loving it [​IMG] I've had it for about a week now and here's some photos to go with the video review.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The thing fits on perfectly and very easily. It just snaps on and I've never had a problem with it falling off or any gaps appearing. I actually had a bit of trouble trying to get it off to take photos [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The ads say its made of rubber, and I guess it is but its not soft rubber so its not exactly 'non-slip'. If anyone has the motorola e398 its like that. Its hard, smooth rubber/plastic. I can't think of anything else it feels like. It does feel better than the bare ds lite though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All switches and ports are easily accessible and I haven't had any problems turning it on/off or adjusting the volume. After a while I stopped noticing it.

[​IMG]

All up a great 'case'. A really good alternative to getting one of those zip-up cases or folding cases. And if you're the opposite to me and love the glossy black this is a great way of keeping it looking like new, longer [​IMG]

2. Impetus

Newcomer Impetus Member

Australia
    hey that doesnt look bad! At all! I might consider it =]

3. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    I'm afraid members can't post html, It's a security reason, I'm sure you understand. I suggest just posting a link to the youtube video instead.

4. monkeymachine

Member monkeymachine GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    hey thanks for the review! like the rugged look

looks like its worth considering and $8.95 usd is fairly reasonable, i wonder who else sells them?

5. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    This definately looks like something that would go nicely on my Onyx Lite [​IMG]

NIce review.

6. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    Sweet review and very professional pictures!

Guess I might buy this with some spare pocket money [​IMG]

7. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Wow, many thanks for the video review and the photos. Now I also know how easy and fast it is to snap on and remove the mask. Looks like I can get rid of my DS Lite cloth pouch and get a Guard Mask instead!

8. 084k3
    OP

Newcomer 084k3 Newbie

Forgot to mention I also ordered these (haven't arrived yet) so that's why I'm not too concerned about dust getting into the slots and switches:
    http://videogame.brando.com.hk/prod_detail...=008&cat_id=021

(Yeah I know, but they only come in white, but it might look cool on the onyx [​IMG])
    The screw hole covers aren't really needed with the 'Guard Mask' (Dragon's marketing team should have come up with a better name like 'Dragon Armour') but the other covers should do the trick.

9. Hunter

Former Staff Hunter i'ma stuffup the board

Australia
    fixed up the youtube video.

and you can just use it like this now.

Code:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/oOKHswF5Eu8[/youtube]

10. monaug5

Member monaug5 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    is there any other website where i could buy this from a UK site perhaps

11. 96hondaex

Member 96hondaex GBAtemp Regular

United States

same here... looking for a site that sells them preferably in the usa.

12. 084k3
    OP

Newcomer 084k3 Newbie

They just arrived today and here are some photos:

Came in japanese packaging, but made in china [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

They're made of soft plastic that fits into the holes nicely. I only got them today so don't know how well they'll hold up during day-to-day abuse. Might do a follw-up post when I've had them for a little while longer, but at the moment I'm pretty happy they'll last.

The cap that fits over the headphone jacks has a screwhole cap attached to it. Good if you use the headphones a lot and this way you won't loose the cap but bad for me because of my 'guard mask' case. As you can see in these pics the case doesn't close properly so I had to cut it off. Not a problem because I don't use the headphones.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

View of the slot-1 and power caps. I'm a little worried about loosing the power slot cap because it's small and I recharge my DS lite every night. I might try somehow to attach this cap to the slot-1 cap.

You can also tell from these pics that the 'guard mask' is about a millimetre thicker then the caps so there's less chance of the caps getting snagged on something and getting pulled off.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The 'guard mask' with these caps makes it a perfect combo for me. I like how my DS lite case is protected on almost all sides but I still have full access to the shoulder (L+R) buttons and switches/ports. Other cases might protect the DS better but you have to remove the DS to play or turn it on/off.

(btw i saw you can get the dragon 'guard mask' on ebay or google for a few e-stores that have them.)

13. wudang

Newcomer wudang Newbie

United States
    so with this protector on can you still fit the ds in a ds case?

I just want to be sure i protect the L and R buttons so they don't get caught on something and gets popped off

What do you guys suggest?

14. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    I bought 2 of the hori versions of this product and I was semi-satisfied.....fits great, protects great, have access to all the functions and looks pretty much identical to this one except it maintains the DS's smooth finish.....problem? I still think it takes away from the aesthetics of a ds ltie....that's the only reason why I took it off. But to each his own and I do admit it doesn't look bad....just a clean original unscathed DS lite looks better.

15. wudang

Newcomer wudang Newbie

United States
  16. Satummoo

Newcomer Satummoo Member

United States
    does the case it's self cause any scratches?

17. 96hondaex

United States
    I ordered this case on 10/11 from kicktrading.ca and just got it on 10/30. I did like the way it feels but not how it fit on the DSL. The top cover it came with will not stay on after being snapped in place. It will all of a sudden snap off while playing or closing the top cover. Any type of movement or touch will cause it to fall off. The bottom piece fit just fine.

I did e-mail kicktrading.ca about this and they were willing to do an exchange for me but I would then have to ship the top cover (15 days) then wait for them to send the replacement back (another 15-20 days) so I just said nevermind.

Just an fyi... [​IMG]

18. tetsuya

Member tetsuya GBAtemp Regular

so it didnt cause any scratches? I would like to order this and some screen protectors.

19. 96hondaex

United States

No scratches that I could notice.

20. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    I really like the the case in the pics on the first post and think I'ma get one as I always drop my DS and have already broken one dropping it. I just wonder how much protection it offers. Atm I use a padded official Nintendo pouch made by Hori but that doesn't allow play when the DS is in it.
    My ideal case would be something like the PlayGear pocket for PSP by Logitech but a bit smaller and thinner for DS. The case is skinnable and you can play the unit while its in it.