[Review] AceNS - Dongle for Nintendo Switch - Payload injector

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by el_ssbb_boy, Sep 29, 2018.

1. PiracyForTheMasses

PiracyForTheMasses GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2018
    United States
    You are missing the point, the manufacturers are either not using the correct capacitors that their dongles require or there is leakage some where. A quality capacitor will hold 90 percent of its charge for years upon years.

bundat likes this.
  2. bundat

bundat ¿

Jul 25, 2018
    Antarctica
    Is this statement true though?

Looking at the teardown pics YOU posted:
    a.png

When I google this:
    https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=2.7v+1f+capacitor

It seems this spec IS a SUPERCAPACITOR/Ultra capacitor.

In fact, compared to the SX Pro teardown (taken from here)
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/sx-pro-disassembly-teardown.510018/
    b.png

It seems the SX Pro only uses 2.7V 0.35 F supercaps, compared to the 2.7V 1F supercaps used here (!).

So SX Pro uses supercaps that are around 3x cheaper than the supercaps used by the RCMLoader (based on Alibaba prices, 0.35f are mostly at $0.15 each while the 1F ones are mostly at $0.40 each, with several exceptions).
    Prices based on quick googling and are not guaranteed

Then I guess it's not crappy caps, but bad design. The dongle probably never turns itself off (which is why other dongles have an ON/OFF switch).

Last edited by bundat, Nov 6, 2018
    PiracyForTheMasses likes this.
  3. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    Are there any of the dirt cheap dongles that are known to somehow brick consoles?

4. el_ssbb_boy
    OP

el_ssbb_boy Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2015
    Spain
    As the message I'm quoting mixes up. I write this last post although I said my previous answer was the last one regarding the issue.

Your statement is based on the farads, and the difference between capacitors and supercapacitors aren't the farads, it's the used dielectric materials [of course, supercapacitors can have a higher capacitance (farads)]. You say it's a supercapacitor because it has more farads than the Xecuter's dongle supercapacitors, but AceNS and RCMLoader don't use supercapacitors and a higher capacitance doesn't make them better. As I said in previous messages I also wonder how Xecuter managed (their design), we have that common point. The difference between capacitors and supercapacitors is well explained here: https://www.spscap.com/difference-capacitor-supercapacitor.html

You are wrong (is supercapacitor in capital letters), as you say, it seems, but it is not. You wrongly used intuition as a source, the specs you mention are within the values allowed by aluminium electrolytic capacitors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercapacitor#Comparison_with_other_storage_technologies

I repeat it:
    I'm kindly advising you this again, you shouldn't take what you read in a forum in a personal way ending in a rage, it only affects your humour and your image.

5. mattytrog

mattytrog Up yours...

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    The simplest thing to do is get rid of those daft caps. Replace with a lipo.

Quiescent current seems far too high for these caps. They will go flat. Apart from fitting a switch between + and the board, you aren't going to cure it completely.

6. bundat

bundat ¿

Jul 25, 2018
    Antarctica
    I mean:
    - XKit's site says they are "ultra capacitors",
    - when I try to look it up and all I can find are supercaps,
    - and AceNS is obviously just a rebrand and XKit's is the original, simply based on the pricing and release order

So it's XKit's word (the original creators) vs yours.
    And I don't see why they wouldn't use supercaps when it's cheap af based on Alibaba prices (even cheaper than SX Pro's caps, which I was also able to find).

I even found that that exact same brand capacitor (ZNP) on two different sites, and it says they're supercaps:
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/6-3-12mm-2-7V-1F_60703535287.html
    https://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/13049520/super_capacitor_2_7V_1F.html

But you know what, I don't really care about that anymore.
    I don't really know jack about electronics, so I couldn't care less about the difference in whether it uses supercaps or not. I'll even edit out any "rude stuff" in my last comment for you as I'm not interested in that topic anymore.

I'm interested in something else now, seeing someone mod the RCMLoader/AceNS and put an on/off switch onto it.

The only thing I now want to see someone test is if the RCMLoader/AceNS will hold a charge if it had a switch to disconnect the capacitors from the circuit, like how other dongles have a switch:
    aa.png

klear likes this.
  7. Sheeeld234

Sheeeld234 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2014
    United States
    Just heard AceNS new version released here. [​IMG]

8. PiracyForTheMasses

Sep 25, 2018
    United States
    Is it just me or is the usb c size tolerance way off on the rcmloader dongles. Basically have to force it into the switch, I suspect that these crap dongles will quickly wear out the usb c port on the switch..

9. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I don't get that on mine, or at least no more force than any other usb c device I've used

10. PiracyForTheMasses

Sep 25, 2018
    United States
    I just received 2 rcmloader model zero dongles and they are definitely not the right size usb c. Compared to the official Nintendo charger and another usb c cable I have, these dongles take a ton of force. So much force that at first I was sure it was not going to fit without breaking something.

11. mspy

mspy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2018
    Brazil
    Are they shipping this new version already or getting rid of the old version stock first?

12. Sheeeld234

Sheeeld234 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2014
    United States
    They have begun to ship the new version.

13. Rushhour77

Rushhour77 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2007
    Netherlands
    NL
    "...Features
    Work on all Nintendo Switch system versions...."

Afaik currently sold switches arent vulnerable so this is quite deceiving imo. Or am I missing something?

14. el_ssbb_boy
    OP

el_ssbb_boy Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2015
    Spain
    That talks about the firmware version. It mustn't be compatible with the new boards you mention.