reverting back to orgianl wii frimware but keeping homebrew

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by shgadlic, Aug 23, 2010.

1. shgadlic
    OP

Newcomer shgadlic Member

Israel
    my friend got scammed, he bought a new console that was said to be US but it is a Korean wii that was changed to US.
    its now 4.1U, and it having a lot of problems, not all games work and some need restart to work.

i want to revert back to the original 4.1 Korean and install then homebrew channel with usb loader gx or cfg-loader.
    how can i do it? is it wise?

2. alexcalibur

Member alexcalibur GBAtemp Regular

United States
    USB Loaders are region free aren't they? So if you're going to set him up with a USB loader, why not just do it now, and you can avoid changing regions. Although I don't know about your case specifically, changing regions is possible but can be dangerous.

3. shgadlic
    OP

Newcomer shgadlic Member

Israel
    there's no safe way for a clean firmware? unfortunately i don't know what kind of isos has been installed or changed. he also say they didn't installed HBC.

is there any clean firmware installer application to restore to default version, even with the changed region, but still naked from other modification - so i can start over.

4. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    I have never dealt with this, but you are definitely gonna need Homebrew Channel.

Chances are you will also need AnyRegion Changer - http://wiibrew.org/wiki/AnyRegion_Changer

Just do NOT update to 4.2!

5. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Yeah run AnyRegionChanger, set the correct settings and then use this guide: http://gbatemp.net/t250010-legaly-modify-any-wii *shamelessly promoting his guide*

Start with step 1 but tell it that you have System Menu 3.0, then jump to step 4, skipping step 2 and 3 (I assume you already got HBC).
    (you need a clean set of IOS and it won't download all of them if you tell it you have a newer System Menu)

6. ?EYEHATE?

Banned ?EYEHATE? Banned

United States
    dont follow that guide it sucks bad! use the stickied guide its way easier, or even better nusad. This self promoted "new" guide is lame

7. terminal_illness

Member terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Canada
    agreed do not follow that guide, use xzeros guide or the complete softmod guide