ReverseNX - Flag your console as handheld or docked

ReverseNX_logo_transparent_v4.png

ReverseNX

Combination of SaltyNX patches that force games to think that you are using docked or handheld mode.

You can use it to change graphics settings and unlock some options that are available only in docked/handheld mode. For now in experimental phase, because SaltyNX has many bugs that need to be patched.

To download latest SaltyNX, check links at the end of post.

To use ReverseNX, you need to use ReverseNX-Tool which can be downloaded at the end of this post. Check readme in repo to learn how to use it.

When forcing docked mode, it is recommended to use OC settings exactly as used in docked mode:
Code:
handheld_charging_gpu=768
handheld_charging_mem=1600

Known issues:
  • SaltyNX is still under development, so it may cause issues on it's own. More in SaltyNX repo.

Thanks to @Kirby567fan and @crow132 for testing.
To @RattletraPM for logo.
To @SunTheCourier for sys-clk Editor on which I have based ReverseNX-Tool >=2.0.0
To Borealis contributors for Borealis which I'm using from 3.0.0

ReverseNX-Tool

github repo: https://github.com/masagrator/ReverseNX-Tool
Releases: https://github.com/masagrator/ReverseNX-Tool/releases

SaltyNX
github repo: https://github.com/masagrator/SaltyNX
Releases: https://github.com/masagrator/SaltyNX/releases

Last edited by masagrator,

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hi,

Also want to use docked setting in handheld for Dragon Quest XI. Have newest Atmosphere, FW 9.0 and also copied the kips. I used the reverseNX tool, however I cannot see and difference, I also don't feel any particular slowdowns without overclocking.

Is there any way in the game to find out if it is docked mode or not? There is a log file, but I cannot see any real error.

Dear Cucholix,

Perhaps I should also try NSP since you said KIPS didn't work for you.
Are the graphical differences clearly visible and do you feel some slowdowns when not overclocking? If so where especially so I can see if I am really still in handheld settings or not.
The image quality is noticeable improved in manglegroove forest. Take a shot with reversenx and without in the area then compare.

Haven’t tried without overclock, you will notice the fan on Switch goes crazy too.

Edit: I also have a draw distance mod applied, so in my case there’s even more CPU/GPU overload.

Last edited by cucholix,

City Hunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I checked again, but there is really no noticeable difference. I checked for example the faces and they are still washed out, I assume they are clearer in docked mode. Is it possible it is not working, even ReverseNX tool is telling me global docked flag is set?

When you tried with NSP instead of Kips, did you delete the kips first or did you just add the NSP folder too?

Also do I do something wrong or is it correct to go first to album (hb menu) then start reversenx tool check that global docked flag is set, exit with “x”, press home button to return to home screen and start the game normally from there?

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I checked again, but there is really no noticeable difference. I checked for example the faces and they are still washed out, I assume they are clearer in docked mode. Is it possible it is not working, even ReverseNX tool is telling me global docked flag is set?

When you tried with NSP instead of Kips, did you delete the kips first or did you just add the NSP folder too?

Also do I do something wrong or is it correct to go first to album (hb menu) then start reversenx tool check that global docked flag is set, exit with “x”, press home button to return to home screen and start the game normally from there?
The game uses dynamic resolution depending on the GPU workload, make sure play with charger at docked speed.

You will notice the fan will spin way faster than it does in handheld mode.

Important: after you copy the nsp folder make sure to reboot atmosphere.

Last edited by cucholix,
Reactions: one-piece

ignare

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tried this out and it didn't seem to have any effect on my switch in handheld mode.
Then I deleted it after disabling it on ReverseNX tool.
But then when I docked my Switch, it's stuck on 720p. It looks like it's stuck in handheld mode even when docked. I don't know how to fix this.
I'm using Atmosphere.

Csmrcc

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So I tried this out and it didn't seem to have any effect on my switch in handheld mode.
Then I deleted it after disabling it on ReverseNX tool.
But then when I docked my Switch, it's stuck on 720p. It looks like it's stuck in handheld mode even when docked. I don't know how to fix this.
I'm using Atmosphere.
Probably you have set flags for handled on everything?

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I believe I unset them, but in that case do I need to put ReverseNX back on to fix it?
If it still hangs to handheld, then you didn't delete it correctly. Delete SaltySD folder, delete kip file or nsp folder (depends on what you have used) and restart Switch.

City Hunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does it matter in which folder I save the reversenx tool nrp or it will work regardless as long as I browse to it and open it? It’s still not working for me, although the tool tells me global docked flag is set...

one-piece

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Does it matter in which folder I save the reversenx tool nrp or it will work regardless as long as I browse to it and open it? It’s still not working for me, although the tool tells me global docked flag is set...
Delete and redownload everything and restart Atmos to make it work.

Here are some tips to know:
-If you are unsure if its working, run a game like Mario Maker 2, that have something blocked in one mode (in MM2 you can only move the cursor with the buttons and stick in docked mode, handheld mode only use touchscreen and doesn't show the cursor when making courses)
-You can't change modes when a game is running. You can set the flags, but it will only take effect when closing and restarting the game.
-Some games are tied to overclocking, like Dragon Quest, so you will only see a difference in handheld with docked flag, when overclocked.
-in dragon quest you can tell between handheld vs docked by seeing the 2D artwork of the items. In handheld is badly compressed, like very distorted.

Csmrcc

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
am trying docked mode in handheld for TW3 how to check if it worked or not?
it looks more sharp and the icons and size of text is smaller when docked i think, but with dinamyc resolution both modes are the same if OC or/and graphic mods
20% more of grass i read

Last edited by Csmrcc,

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
am trying docked mode in handheld for TW3 how to check if it worked or not?
Witcher 3 in docked and handheld works almost the same. Docked has higher minimal dynamic resolution, slightly thicker grass and will ask you for controller at the beginning of game.
Both modes are trying to get to 720p.

Reactions: MonMonz

Modzvilleusa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
How does setting this up change Overclocking Configs for sys-clk? Let's say I have mine setup with the handheld flag, Will my docked overclock settings still be applied when docked?

nex86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
is there a fix for 9.0.1 ?
the NSP gives me a sept crash screen when loading into HBL and the KIP doesn't load at all.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is there a sure way to quickly test if ReverseNX is working? Like a certain game who's intro changing because of docked mode (controlls notification etc) instead of looking in a log?

Im using it on SX OS 2.9.2 and placed the folder in the SX OS folder. and ofc the salty Sd folder.

gangs_08

Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
So irritating thread... Please somebody say a clear yes or no:
On the newest SX OS, does work...
1.) ReverseNX?
2.) ReverseNX-Tool?
3.) sys-clk?
4.) sys-clk editor?
5.) freebird?