ReverseNX - Flag your console as handheld or docked

ReverseNX_logo_transparent_v4.png

ReverseNX

Combination of SaltyNX patches that force games to think that you are using docked or handheld mode.

You can use it to change graphics settings and unlock some options that are available only in docked/handheld mode. For now in experimental phase, because SaltyNX has many bugs that need to be patched.

To download latest SaltyNX, check links at the end of post.

To use ReverseNX, you need to use ReverseNX-Tool which can be downloaded at the end of this post. Check readme in repo to learn how to use it.

When forcing docked mode, it is recommended to use OC settings exactly as used in docked mode:
Code:
handheld_charging_gpu=768
handheld_charging_mem=1600

Known issues:
  • SaltyNX is still under development, so it may cause issues on it's own. More in SaltyNX repo.

Thanks to @Kirby567fan and @crow132 for testing.
To @RattletraPM for logo.
To @SunTheCourier for sys-clk Editor on which I have based ReverseNX-Tool >=2.0.0
To Borealis contributors for Borealis which I'm using from 3.0.0

ReverseNX-Tool

github repo: https://github.com/masagrator/ReverseNX-Tool
Releases: https://github.com/masagrator/ReverseNX-Tool/releases

SaltyNX
github repo: https://github.com/masagrator/SaltyNX
Releases: https://github.com/masagrator/SaltyNX/releases

Last edited by masagrator,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just installed 0.32 and it's freezing on the Nintendo Switch logo on boot. 7.0.1 emummc, Atmosphere 0.9.3, using fusee-primary. Only other sysmodules are sys-clk and sys-ftpd.

e:
Spawner: ELF load failed with d001
Not enough memory, as suspected. It runs fine if I remove sys-ftpd, but who wants to do that?! :sad:

Reactions: neolancer07

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just installed 0.32 and it's freezing on the Nintendo Switch logo on boot. 7.0.1 emummc, Atmosphere 0.9.3, using fusee-primary. Only other sysmodules are sys-clk and sys-ftpd.

e:
Spawner: ELF load failed with d001
d001 - Memory exhaustion
So it looks like something is taking too much memory.

How exactly do i create a flag in folder? Do i have to create a notepad file and save it as a .flag extension?
Use ReverseNX-Tool

Reactions: hippy dave

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
This Hekate build fixes compatibility problems with SaltySD while using an emuMMC. Consider this a temporary solution until the next official version is released by CTCaer.

You'll still need to add this line to each desired boot entry in your hekate_ipl.ini file:

Code:
kip1=atmosphere/kips/*

Works wonders for me with Doom + docked flag + overclocking + DynResOff patch.

Attachments

• hekate_20190504_SaltySD_Fix.rar
    417.5 KB · Views: 164
D

Deleted User

Not sure if this information will help anyone, but I've done a little testing with various games at max handheld clocks with docked flags.
All games were tested at:
handheld_gpu: 460 MHz
handheld_mem: 1600 MHz

Games that run with dynamic resolution scaling:
These games will look increasingly better with higher gpu clocks. Use an AC adapter with maximum clock speeds for even better results.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Night and day difference! A few slight hiccups in fps during heavy combat but otherwise highly recommended. (30fps, mostly)
DOOM - Runs at a fairly higher resolution. Looks a good deal cleaner than stock. (handheld_cpu: 1224 for smoother fps)
Wolfenstein II - Same as DOOM, though only a slightly higher resolution. Still looks rather blurry though, especially at the New Orleans episodes. (handheld_cpu: 1224 for smoother fps)
Super Mario Odyssey - Stays much closer to the native 720p most of the time compared to stock. Locked 60 fps.
Hellblade - Graphically, the most impressive of the lot. Looks much closer to 720p and seems to be bottle necked entirely by handheld gpu clocks. (30 fps, mostly)
Warframe - Another stunner on handheld. Looks crisp with increased resolution and more reflections seem to be enabled. (30 fps, mostly)
Fortnite - A good increase in resolution, though it seems to run even worse in crowded areas like tilted towers. (handheld_cpu: 1581 and stock gpu clocks for smoother fps)
Spyro - Improvements seems to be both resolution and motion blur. Looks much better! (25-30 fps)
Cities Skylines - Higher resolution, seems to also enable some kind of AA? Runs alright I guess.. fps is a bit unstable however. (20ish fps)
Yoshi's Crafted World - Cut-scene fps seem to be the only thing affected.. otherwise game play seems to be unaffected with much more time spent at around 720p.

Games that run at full docked resolution:
For the most part, these games will run at 720p, 900p and 1080p on handheld screen. Increasing gpu clocks will only increase performance as resolution is locked.
These games look gorgeous on the small screen but tend to have more performance issues compared to the games above:

Crash Bandicoot - Oddly enough, Crash 1 seems to be the most poorly performing of the trilogy. No longer a guaranteed 30fps locked, however for the most part it runs faithfully close to stock fps.
Crash 2 and 3 seem to perform better and are much closer to 30 fps most of the time. (480p > 720p)

Captain Toad - Free upgrade. Absolutely no difference in performance at all. Runs perfect! (720p > 1080p)
Final Fantasy X, X-2 - Free upgrade. Both run perfect at 1080p. Seemingly no bottle necking at all. (720p > 1080p)
Final Fantasy XII - Seemingly some fps dips at times but a much cleaner image than the stock handheld. (Not entirely sure this isn't using scaling yet..)
Crash Team Racing - This one comes down to choice. Resolutions are now at a crisp 720p, however fps takes a slight dive into the mid 20s. (480p > 720p)
Smash Bros Ultimate - Free upgrade. Same as Captain Toad runs perfect at 1080p. (720p > 1080p)
Mario + Rabbids - Fps drops at times but no slow down and is entirely playable. Looks great at 900p. (600p > 900p)
Yooka-Laylee - Low fps during the beginning intro but otherwise in game runs really well. (600p > 900p)

Games that run poorly or don't work with docked flag:

DKC - Tropical Freeze - This one is really a shame. A mere gpu overclock to 537MHz makes this game run flawlessly. Unfortunately at 460MHz there is just too much game disrupting slowdown.
Mario Kart 8 - Doesn't seem to work at all. No change between docked or handheld.
Breath of the Wild - Unfortunately this game suffers major slow down so forget about it. Either play with handheld flags or connect an AC adapter and max out clocks.
Sonic Forces - Again, game breaking slow down. Either play with handheld flags or connect an AC adapter and max out clocks or better yet, don't waste your money on this game at all..

Last edited by ,

Mouser X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic Forces - Again, game breaking slow down. Either play with handheld flags or connect an AC adapter and max out clocks or better yet, don't waste your money on this game at all..
I appreciate all your testing! And I enjoyed this here. "Taking one for the team" as it were. This implies that you bought it yourself (unless of course, you "found it" on a "five-fingered" discount online ;)).

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please answer: switch tablet is only 720 so how comes if using this to enable dock mode it can display at 1080?

I haven't played with this but I have to guess that the games are rendering internally at 1080p and then the output is downscaled to 720p. If true that can run somewhat counter to the goal of getting dynamic resolution games to appear sharper.

hitodesu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This Hekate build fixes compatibility problems with SaltySD while using an emuMMC. Consider this a temporary solution until the next official version is released by CTCaer.

You'll still need to add this line to each desired boot entry in your hekate_ipl.ini file:

Code:
kip1=atmosphere/kips/*

This'll work without emuMMC too, right?

xxbrothawizxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have the titles folder 0100000000534C56. Do I still need to delete something?

Also, is there a way to retain sys-clk and reverse-NX while using a different SD card from your partitioned homebrew SD? Don't think there would be, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Last edited by xxbrothawizxx,

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't have the titles folder 0100000000534C56. Do I still need to delete something?

Also, is there a way to retain sys-clk and reverse-NX while using a different SD card from your partitioned homebrew SD? Don't think there would be, but thought I'd ask anyway.
I don't understand any of your questions.
If you are using newest ReverseNX, you shouldn't have 0100000000534C56 in titles.
And what the heck "your partitioned homebrew SD" means?

xxbrothawizxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O okay I didn't know that

I don't understand any of your questions.
If you are using newest ReverseNX, you shouldn't have 0100000000534C56 in titles.
And what the heck "your partitioned homebrew SD" means?
Oh, ok.

I set up my homebrew on a different SD from the one I typically use for the console.

Trice

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
What do you mean with retaining sys-clk and reverse-NX though? The config for both is stored on the SD card, so of course if you use another SD card it won't be there anymore. And the tools themselves needs to be installed on both SD cards as well of course.

xxbrothawizxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean with retaining sys-clk and reverse-NX though? The config for both is stored on the SD card, so of course if you use another SD card it won't be there anymore. And the tools themselves needs to be installed on both SD cards as well of course.
Yea, that's why I said I don't think it's possible. Thought there might be some tool created to facilitate this after already booting in CFW, but the system prompts a power off in CFW when removing the SD as well.

Just going to delete some stuff, and partition my original SD card. For now, the game I wanted this for most, Xenoblade 2, works anyway.

Bummer to be stuck until Atmosphere gets updated because of 9.0, but such is the hax lyfe.

Last edited by xxbrothawizxx,

NotACat

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

Code:
kip1=atmosphere/kips/*

what are compatibility problems? I'm using emuMMC, tested with a lot of games and have no problem so far

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Anyone tried this with Divinity Original Sin 2? it look absolutely the same as handheld mode for me, may be reverseNX doesn't works for this game?

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
what are compatibility problems? I'm using emuMMC, tested with a lot of games and have no problem so far

Using SaltyNX under emuMMC with Hekate makes the console crash at boot. I compiled and tested that Hekate build - it fixes the problem for me.

Another workaround is just launching the fusee-primary payload from the Hekate, but then again, the patch set layout used by Hekate is not the same as the one used by vanilla Atmosphère (breaks FS/ES stuff).

If you only use vanilla Atmosphère, you shouldn't need that.

Halo69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Code:
kip1=atmosphere/kips/*

Ok i this and atleast i get no crashes now, but now when i open a game for an example Xenoblade Chronicles 2 the screen just stays black either on docked mode or handheld mode or global mode when i choose in reverseNX tools. Also the (kip1=atmosphere/kips does it need to have (/*) at the end like you have it? Cause i didnt.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Ok i this and atleast i get no crashes now, but now when i open a game for an example Xenoblade Chronicles 2 the screen just stays black either on docked mode or handheld mode or global mode when i choose in reverseNX tools. Also the (kip1=atmosphere/kips does it need to have (/*) at the end like you have it? Cause i didnt.

Yes, the "/*" at the end is needed.

stewacide

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think spyro in handheld profile + overclock looks better than docked + overclock.. some textures/shadows look a bit weird handheld but resolution is better in handheld + overclock thanks to dynamic reoslution. Docked is forced to 1280x720 83% and doesn't have dynamic/go 100% (even with max overclock).
Handheld goes further it seems and less blurry. Try you'll see.

Portable mode has dithering which I don't think looks bad but some may not like it. The main difference is the motion blur enabled only in docked profile, which does indeed make the game look a bit softer but much more attractive imo. In docked profile, if you toggle off motion blue it looks pretty much identical to regular portable mode (less the dithering).

Halo69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
20190913_184548.jpg
20190913_190931.jpg
I do have
I just noticed that i do have "/*" at the end but i did the workaround launching fusee primary payload from hekate and that worked.
Is there anyway to test out if is it really working? How to tell if its working? How do i know if i'm getting docked mode graphics? In reverseNX tools i have it setup as docked mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No IKEA shit breaks within a month bed bath and beyond goes beyond
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Plus pictures don't always cut it with furniture when there's like 10 different bolt styles and they're just like figure it out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach:
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/cbsxfoj-Uxc?si=VeP-5nZ5fL2yy4Kf