WIP ReverseNX - Flag your console as handheld or docked

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by masagrator, Jul 16, 2019.

1. ColorBoyKent

ColorBoyKent Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2019
    United States
    OK i got it working im pretty sure this time thanks zelda graphics better wit no lie is there a way to do it with no charger in handheld

2. Trice

Trice GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2009
    Switzerland
    Not if you want full docked performance. sys-clk has a fixed limit if you don't use a charger to not stress the battery too much.

3. Zkajavier

Zkajavier Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    Costa Rica
    No. But you can buy a battery case for your switch so it charges while you play. Otherwise you need you'll need to stick to the charger.

However I wish there was a way to make the docked flag to get enabled only when the console is charging.

4. ColorBoyKent

ColorBoyKent Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2019
    United States
    true

5. Trice

Trice GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2009
    Switzerland
    This will only work if the battery case supplies the same amount of power as the official charger does. Otherwise the sys-clk overclocking limit still applies.

6. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hm might be doable, if the replacement function was modified to check for charging and return the relevant value, instead of hardcoding it.

7. Trice

Trice GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2009
    Switzerland
    Yeah, a charging check would be awesome.

8. masagrator
    OP

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    I tried. psm is unreachable (wrong handle error when trying to initialize), hidscaninput is crashing SaltyNX (I was thinking of adding button scanning for loading docked or handheld mode when loading game). It looks like it's supporting (outside of function using svc calls and memcpy to edit code) only libnx C functions like mkdir.

Everyone can fork and try by itself. I'm maybe wrong.

And you can't apply libnx functions to NSO game. That's impossible atm (you would need to import relevant libnx libraries to game first that will be readable and always read by game. SetOperationMode and SetPerformanceMode are used only (after first read) when GetOperationModeNotification and GetPerformanceModeNotification come that mode was changed (so only when docking/undocking physically) but I didn't test what would happen if it always return 1 :D. I was thinking now of using cheat engine of Atmosphere to create homebrew that will change in real time modes if it would work, but as you can see - 0.3X is crashing because of cheats. :(

Last edited by masagrator, Aug 31, 2019
    Zkajavier and hippy dave like this.
  9. ColorBoyKent

ColorBoyKent Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2019
    United States
    Does 60fps mod for god eater 3 not work with the ReverseNX because it works but not as constant as in handheld mode it work with dock but not a full constant 60fps but handheld mode does wording is bad but you get what im trying to say

10. masagrator
    OP

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    60 FPS works best in handheld mode. And still you won't get in God Eater 3 stable 60 FPS for 100% of game. The most demanding are second hub and one of last cutscenes.

And try to use commas, question marks and dots. For real your posts are hard to read.

Last edited by masagrator, Aug 31, 2019
  11. Trice

Trice GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2009
    Switzerland
    The regular Handheld 720p output needs less power, so it has quite a bit more breathing room when it comes to overclocking. We can't overclock the Switch that much from what it's clocked in docked mode already, at least not safely for an extended period of time, so anything that's taxing the system even more, like going from 30fps to 60fps, will cripple the performance really easily.

12. hdhani

hdhani Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Any tutorials on how to use this for noobs like me :/

Thanks!

13. masagrator
    OP

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
  14. hdhani

hdhani Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2019
    United Kingdom
    So I need to download reversenx first copy the files to my sd card and then launch the nro file to use the tool? Is there a way to check if it's working when I launch a game or I just need to experiment and see if the gfx looks better?

Would I need to restart the switch each time I change the settings in the tool or its applied straight away?

15. masagrator
    OP

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    1. After copying ReverseNX you need to restart Switch to make this working.
    2. After changing flags you don't need to restart Switch, but SaltyNX crashes sometimes in background, so if you don't see a change in game after some time of playing without restarting Switch - restart Switch.
    3. log file in SaltySD folder has informations about saltyNX. If something is not working, check log and put it here. If there is no log, you wrongly copied folders or you are using Hekate launch menu.

16. hdhani

hdhani Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Thanks got it working! But the performance is slower. Haven't applied any oc settings yet but am reading that this only works if the charger is plugged in? If that's the case then I'll probably uninstall this not sure if I want to play the switch with the wire plugged in. Nice work anyway! The gfx were looking a bit better from what I saw so far

17. Zkajavier

Zkajavier Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    Costa Rica
    You need to apply OC settings to at least Docked clocks and use the charger otherwise it will just slow it down. The first post explains this quite well.

18. ColorBoyKent

ColorBoyKent Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2019
    United States
    do mods not work with reversenx my botw keep crashing

19. Kirby567fan

Kirby567fan GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2018
    Morocco
    Only cheats dont work but mods should.

20. Halo69

Halo69 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2019
    United States
    Any way to make reverseNX not crash with atmosphere on emunand?