Reverse-engineered code for 'Grand Theft Auto III' and 'Vice City' get a DMCA takedown notice

gta reverse engineered.JPG

Earlier this week, we reported that the source codes for Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto Vice City were fully reverse-engineered and made available to download as re3 and reVC respectively. However, their availability was short-lived as Take-Two Interactive, the publisher of the series, seems to have taken notice of this homebrew activity and issued a DMCA takedown, making the repository unavailable. The message below can be seen if you visit the page:

dmca notice.JPG

Take-Two's request is also publicly available and reads:

The content in the links below consists of copyrighted materials owned by Take-Two. The use of our copyrighted content in these links are unauthorized and it should be removed immediately.

You can read the rest of the request here.

This takedown might put a halt to modding efforts (at least for those who did not have access to the GitHub repository before the DMCA notice) but the original modders might come with a cleaner reversed code that could be legally shared. That, however, remains to be seen.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This takedown might put a halt to modding efforts (at least for those who did not have access to the GitHub repository before the DMCA notice) but the original modders might come with a cleaner reversed code that could be legally shared. That, however, remains to be seen.

They may do the whole "Needs the original game to work" thing a lot of mods and hacks do.

But it has been a few days so the code is already on the dark web.

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I posted this on psx place about 15 minutes ago. @Dodain47 posted this earlier today, which is how I found out about it. I'd say grab san andreas while you still can.
San Andreas is safe i think since its just a apk launcher. Max pain is still up so it must be safe too or they dont care

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
if this has any merit (I.e. There being "unclean" code) or if take two are just abusing dmca.
Possibly both at once: remember the original 3DS Freeshop, where the only vaguely plausible claim was with the startup logo (which isn't in the source, since it is supplied by makerom, which "curiously" never got reported)?

On github you can only complain against a whole repo, not just the source, the wiki, or the downloads

Reactions: E1ite007

Shahaan

Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
aw come on
They don't even get money from it anymore
Can't we do whatever the hell we want with games no one make profit with anymore except flea market?
Vice City and GTA III are both still available on PS4/PS5 and mobile, they still make money off of these games.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why would anyone reverse engineer games like these with a major publisher watching them? A clean room re-implementation is safer.
That also takes 9000 times as long as you get to watch all the speeds, mechanics, AI, effects and whatever else, as well as figure out asset formats and reimplement them yourself.

aw come on
They don't even get money from it anymore
Can't we do whatever the hell we want with games no one make profit with anymore except flea market?
Do they not sell any versions of have it for offer anywhere? All appear to be current and available on https://play.google.com/store/search?q=GTA at this point.
Also there is the "don't compete with yourself" idea. The reason I don't have a newer version of Tetris than Tetris DS is not because all what came later handled like arse (they do but different matter) but because DS serves as a perfectly suitable version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...