Gaming Returning to my Wii after more than a year...

spiritofcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It has been more than a year since I last used me Wii.
I turned it on again today, and it still works. It has USB Loader GX and the games on the HDD still work fine.

The problem I have though, is that the Wii home menu is cluttered with useless channels I don't want or need any more.
Most of them are channels I once created that linked through to launch games that were stored on the HDD, but some update or something long ago stopped them from working so they're useless now.
I've considered just deleting them, but I vaguely recall that there was some more complicated process I was meant to use to get rid of them cleanly otherwise they would leave some kind of junk behind in the Wii's storage.

Ideally I'd like to just have the Disc channel, the USB Loader GX channel, the Homebrew channel and the channels for the VC games I have, plus whatever other default channels there are, like internet, weather, etc.

Anyone got the know-how to guide me through cleaning this thing up properly?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Well, Deleting them "cleanly" instead of just going to the data management screen actually would only free up like 1 block more per channel. If you still want to do that, AnyTitleDeleter would be the tool you're thinking of. Another thing to note is that earlier this year Nintendo shut down it's servers for a lot of those "default" channels you've mentioned so you might as well get rid of them while you're at it. IIRC it's the Check Mii Out, Weather, News, and Everybody Votes channels that are the useless ones now. Just note that the Weather and News channels you'll find are actually 2 channels each when you go to delete them and they're in a separate section from the other channels.

Also, an important warning : DON'T DELETE ANYTHING UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS

spiritofcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, Deleting them "cleanly" instead of just going to the data management screen actually would only free up like 1 block more per channel. If you still want to do that, AnyTitleDeleter would be the tool you're thinking of. Another thing to note is that earlier this year Nintendo shut down it's servers for a lot of those "default" channels you've mentioned so you might as well get rid of them while you're at it. IIRC it's the Check Mii Out, Weather, News, and Everybody Votes channels that are the useless ones now. Just note that the Weather and News channels you'll find are actually 2 channels each when you go to delete them and they're in a separate section from the other channels.

Also, an important warning : DON'T DELETE ANYTHING UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS

Cool, thanks for the quick reply!
Now I have to see if I can remember how to run homebrew tools... First I'll need to dig up an SD card.

Edit:
I got Any Title Deleter onto an SD card, and got it showing up in the Homebrew Channel, but when I run it it gives me some errors.
One saying it can't patch IOS in memory because AHBPROT is not enabled, and than another saying Loading Database Failed.

I hit A to get past those errors, and then I select Installed Channel Titles, and it gives me a big list, but when I try to uninstall any of the titles that were the USB game loaders it tells me
Error! IFSF_Delete(ret = -102)
and
Ticket delete failed (No Ticket?) -102

Edit again:
Got Any Title Deleter MOD instead, and it seems to work.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You probably have an old Homebrew Channel (1.0.6 or before).
Since 1.0.7 you can use advantage of the hardware access (called AHB access) granted by HBC to other homebrew.
New homebrew use this instead of cIOS to get NAND access to install/uninstall files to Wii. Of course, you can still use homebrew which take advantage of cIOS (that's what you did with the MOD version).

You'll have to update 3 things:
HBC, cIOS, and the homebrew you want to use.
I've written a short guide for someone else, maybe you could take a look : http://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-872#post-4827381

spiritofcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You probably have an old Homebrew Channel (1.0.6 or before).
Since 1.0.7 you can use advantage of the hardware access (called AHB access) granted by HBC to other homebrew.
New homebrew use this instead of cIOS to get NAND access to install/uninstall files to Wii. Of course, you can still use homebrew which take advantage of cIOS (that's what you did with the MOD version).

You'll have to update 3 things:
HBC, cIOS, and the homebrew you want to use.
I've written a short guide for someone else, maybe you could take a look : http://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-872#post-4827381

Thanks! I'll be sure to check that out if I decide I want to do anything new with my Wii.
For now though, I've managed to clean up the 'desktop' by removing all those broken channels, and it plays that games that are already on the hard drive so it's all good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol