Returning to Homebrew after a hiatus...

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by Praxis, Sep 29, 2009.

Sep 29, 2009
  1. Praxis
    OP

Member Praxis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So I was once in the NDS homebrew scene, but have been out for a while. It's been quite some time, and when I last left, I was using the original M3-CF on my DS Phat, which had a flashed firmware to boot from Slot-2. Good times.

Anyway, things seem to have changed a lot. I'm on my third DS (Phat is in the closet, first DS Lite is on the shelf with Miyamoto's autograph in a display case and shall never be touched again), and it is a homebrew virgin. I'm probably not going to upgrade to a DSi for now, though DSi compatibility would be nice in case.

I'm looking at getting an M3i Zero and a 8 GB SDHC Micro card. Is this a good choice?

I am looking forward to using a lot of homebrew, but I also want to be able to run roms. I'm actually not a fan of piracy. I buy most of my games, though I get a lot as review copies for free as well. However, I have a hard time keeping track of all my games, and I'd love to have them all on one cart.

For that purpose, I'd like to ask; is there a way to rip NDS games easily, so I can retain my savegames (and as a nice bonus, have my cart be full of legal backups)? I used to rip my GBA games with a Flash2Advance cable (for that matter, can I rip Slot-2 GBA games with a Slot-1 card like the M3i?).

Also, can I run GBA roms off of the M3i Zero, or will I need to retain my original M3 (which is bulky and starting to have issues reading the CF card)?

Finally, any must-have homebrew?

Thank you for any help!

2. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    The M3i0 is A GREAT Choice for roms but to be totally honest its not got the best homebrew support i would probably go with the acekard2i. To play the gba u will need to retain ur original m3 or buy another slot 2 or if u really wanted u could get the iplayer which is a media player with no rom support but has a gba emulator.

Welcome back to the homebrew scene

3. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    You can't run GBA ROMs directly from any Slot-1 cart except for the iPlayer, I'd go with Supercard DS ONEi

4. Archimdae

Member Archimdae GBAtemp Regular

United States

There are a few relatively cheap devices out there that let you rip your saves and/or roms to pc.

As far as legal backups, if you live in the USA there is no such thing as a legal backup. I could dig up the court case links if you really wanted, but the gist of it is that game carts are considered permanent media and so there is no legal reason to backup your games.

Basically anyone who uses Roms in the USA is breaking the law regardless of how or why you got them. Sorry to break the news :0).

But regardless of that, it's always a good thing to support the developers of games you play, even if you break the law to use em [​IMG].

5. gameguy95

Banned gameguy95 Needs More Furries!

United States
    ^actually if you dump the roms yourself and don't give them to anyone else they are legal

6. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    That's not actually legal. There's no such thing as legal game backups.

Yes it is morally legal and it's very unlikely to be prosecuted for making a backup of a game you own but it is still technically illegal.

7. Archimdae

Member Archimdae GBAtemp Regular

United States

Exactly so, even if you back up your own games and only use them for yourself it is still illegal. I realize I just repeated what you said in a different way, but I forgot what else I was going to say [​IMG].