Return to Monkey Island announced, releases this year

Initially presumed to be an April Fools' joke, Devolver Digital and Lucasfilm Games have formally revealed Return to Monkey Island, a sequel to the point and click series from the 1990s. The development will be handled by Terrible Toybox, a company created by Ron Gilbert, who wrote and directed The Secret of Monkey Island. Dave Grossman, who also worked on the original game, will be a part of the staff. No platforms were given, though the game is set for a release later this year.

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
I just knew Ron Gilbert - of all people - wouldn't make an April Fool's joke, even if it totally sounded like one.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
:O:O:O:O

Shut up and take my [LeChuck's Revenge Starting Scene Inventory]!

JBpC1Ix.gif

(i.e. money)

Slinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Oh, that brings the nostalgia...:)

I wonder what deal he struck with lucasarts? He always lamented not having the ownership of the MI brand. In fact, isn't that what Murray is referring to in the trailer (before getting interrupted)? He would never make a new game unless he owned the rights to MI...

Also... did he stick to his dream to remake the SCUMM engine?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, that brings the nostalgia...:)

I wonder what deal he struck with lucasarts? He always lamented not having the ownership of the MI brand. In fact, isn't that what Murray is referring to in the trailer (before getting interrupted)? He would never make a new game unless he owned the rights to MI...

Also... did he stick to his dream to remake the SCUMM engine?
Idk about the deal, I guess a compromise was found that he was happy with.
He's been making a couple of adventure game scripting engines since starting his own company (the one for Thimbleweed Park, then a newer one he was testing out with that free spin-off Delores game) - I wonder if the latter was used for this, or another new one. Either way I think it's safe to say he's living the dream of making the engine how he wants it.

Reactions: Slinger

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
I think it's safe to say he at least got total creative freedom on this, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a share in the potential profits in that deal as well. Ron strikes me as the kind of guy who very easily walks away if he's displeased - or if he's done with a project.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it