Homebrew Retropie or emulation station on l4t on switch

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but that doesn't have a nice fancy ui
What's the point? You only look at the menu for like 20 seconds. Plus retropie includes a lot of extra fluff that isn't necessary for running games and wastes resources doing so. It's nice for a raspberry pi, but when you already have lakka on switch running on L4T, there's no real point in porting over retropie.
Is it possible? Yes. Will anyone want to do it? Probably not, but who knows.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If you have a lot of games you could be sifting through the menu for longer than 20 seconds and retropie provides an easy way for people who don't know what they are doing to build emulators that aren't included as a retroarch core.

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What's the point? You only look at the menu for like 20 seconds. Plus retropie includes a lot of extra fluff that isn't necessary for running games and wastes resources doing so. It's nice for a raspberry pi, but when you already have lakka on switch running on L4T, there's no real point in porting over retropie.
Is it possible? Yes. Will anyone want to do it? Probably not, but who knows.
but it's so sexy

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Neither nor.

PS Classic
(here seen with 30k games on a 256GB USB drive)

Cost:
20 USD for the base system (incl. 2 USB controllers)
15 USD for a USB stick
2 USD for a USB OTG adapter
8 USD for a used 8bitdo USB dongle

50 USD for a PS4 controller (if you want wireless controller capabilities, would also work with PS3 controllers)

(First install Bleemsync and the OTG Kernel (using an old, small, slow (usb2.0) USB drive formated to fat32 and named SONY), then format the bigger USB drive to exfat, and use it with either Bleemsync or Autobleem over the OTG adapter/cable. The USB ports in front of the PS Classic only deliver sub par amperage, so only older, smaller usb2.0 USB drives work on them. For the back USB port with an OTG adapter, there are no such limitations. Also the new kernel also installs exfat (and ntfs) support.

Thats the most you need to know about the setup procedure. The rest is just copying files to the USB drive and getting to know Retroarch. :) For manual/automated retroarch playlist creation read this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/playstation-classic.522781/page-41#post-8575050 )

or

nVidia Shield TV refresh (expected to be released around the Google Stadia launch).

Pi4 is now roughly able to run most Dreamcast games (which the PSClassic can not (PSClassic is more performant than a Pi3)) - but the nVidia Shield TV refresh should be more economical, with higher performance, easier setup - more usecases, and so on and so forth.

Pi always has been a scene of people willing to overpay to have it harder. essentially. There is an entire market for that. ;)

(I use a Pie as a color accurate pattern generator for calibration, and will maybe create a Google Home hat made out of a Pi ('privacy') as a new project - but apart from that there never were many usecases - that made actual economic sense. As well as being cool - for the platform.)

The Switch is not optimal for the usecase either - because with l4t you are loosing ease of use, you are paying a premium for the brand, and a premium for the screen you dont use, and... the nVidia Shield TV refresh will be less costly and more performant upon release.

Last edited by notimp,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neither nor.

PS Classic
(here seen with 30k games on a 256GB USB drive)

Cost:
20 USD for the base system (incl. 2 USB controllers)
15 USD for a USB stick
2 USD for a USB OTG adapter
8 USD for a used 8bitdo USB dongle

50 USD for a PS4 controller (if you want wireless controller capabilities, would also work with PS3 controllers)

(First install Bleemsync and the OTG Kernel (using an old, small, slow (usb2.0) USB drive formated to fat32 and named SONY), then format the bigger USB drive to exfat, and use it with either Bleemsync or Autobleem over the OTG adapter/cable. The USB ports in front of the PS Classic only deliver sub par amperage, so only older, smaller usb2.0 USB drives work on them. For the back USB port with an OTG adapter, there are no such limitations. Also the new kernel also installs exfat (and ntfs) support.

Thats the most you need to know about the setup procedure. The rest is just copying files to the USB drive and getting to know Retroarch. :) For manual/automated retroarch playlist creation read this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/playstation-classic.522781/page-41#post-8575050 )

or

nVidia Shield TV refresh (expected to be released around the Google Stadia launch).

Pi4 is now roughly able to run most Dreamcast games (which the PSClassic can not (PSClassic is more performant than a Pi3)) - but the nVidia Shield TV refresh should be more economical, with higher performance, easier setup - more usecases, and so on and so forth.

Pi always has been a scene of people willing to overpay to have it harder. essentially. There is an entire market for that. ;)

(I use a Pie as a color accurate pattern generator for calibration, and will maybe create a Google Home hat made out of a Pi ('privacy') as a new project - but apart from that there never were many usecases - that made actual economic sense. As well as being cool - for the platform.)

The Switch is not optimal for the usecase either - because with l4t you are loosing ease of use, you are paying a premium for the brand, and a premium for the screen you dont use, and... the nVidia Shield TV refresh will be less costly and more performant upon release.

I think you miss the main point? If we wanted to play at home, we could use multiple other devices. I have a playstation classic already setup, but it ain't portable. Also it's not like most of us ran out and purchased a switch just for emulation. It's just nice to be able to use the device we purchased to do more things.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I also really love this quote. Because it's pretty bold of you to assume we pay a "premium for the screen you don't use" as though we are mainly using it for emulation at home. Even though for most people the emulation is more for when we are using it portable as at home we likely have much better devices to run our emulation.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I wasn't aware that Retropie is available for any Linux distro - thereby the title of the posting indicated to me, "buy a Rasp Pi for Retropie, or buy a switch for emulation station"? In which case - all of what I posted makes sense. ;)

Since I recognice now, that the question now specifically asks which of the two frontends to use while in l4t on the switch - and this most likely includes the wish for portable use as well, my answer doesnt make sense. :)

Grammar mishap. :) You can read the title both ways. :)

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: