Hacking RetroGameFan Updates/Releases

rsx

USA Modchip Installer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final fantasy 3 isn't working. Using a ndstt card. Black screens after the introduction. Tested it with wood firmware, works fine.

Lopt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have a used DS Lite on the way, which of the currently available R4 carts on Amazon should I buy?
I have tried to read everything I can find but each article just brings more questions and all are getting very out of date I guess not many of us playing with DS anymore.

any help appreciated

thank you

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I guess not many of us playing with DS anymore
DS/DSi consoles are alive and active more than ever, it's just that their users are always there playing with them, and they don't have the time, nor the desire, to answer you. 🤣
Luckily for you there is always yours truly who, despite his many commitments, is always ready to lend a hand to those in need. 😉

which of the currently available R4 carts on Amazon should I buy?
That said, I can recommend a r4 Gold Pro, used by many users, whose kernel is r4i-sdhc but you can also use YSMenu. However, its own kernel allows a limited number of roms and only in the SD root. YSMenu is more compatible, easy to use and effective, but incompatible with some games (e.g. Inazuma series). This flashcart is very cheap, and from this year without "time bomb" (however easily circumvented).

Even better, and also cheap, the 482 in 1 DS card. It's an Ace3ds+ that uses the Wood kernel; it already contains a microSD with games, but you can delete duplicates or games that don't interest you and put others. Or use another microSD of higher quality, but be sure to use the same, identical kernel. I've never found a game that didn't work with it!
I own both flashcarts.
The choice is yours. 😜

P.S. Peeking on your profile I noticed that you are american, so I don't know if there, these cards are easily available or as cheap as in Europe. 🤔

Last edited by Nikokaro,
Reactions: Flame

Lopt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS/DSi consoles are alive and active more than ever, it's just that their users are always there playing with them, and they don't have the time, nor the desire, to answer you. 🤣
Luckily for you there is always yours truly who, despite his many commitments, is always ready to lend a hand to those in need. 😉

That said, I can recommend a r4 Gold Pro, used by many users, whose kernel is r4i-sdhc but you can also use YSMenu. However, its own kernel allows a limited number of roms and only in the SD root. YSMenu is more compatible, easy to use and effective, but incompatible with some games (e.g. Inazuma series). This flashcart is very cheap, and from this year without "time bomb" (however easily circumvented).

Even better, and also cheap, the 482 in 1 DS card. It's an Ace3ds+ that uses the Wood kernel; it already contains a microSD with games, but you can delete duplicates or games that don't interest you and put others. Or use another microSD of higher quality, but be sure to use the same, identical kernel. I've never found a game that didn't work with it!
I own both flashcarts.
The choice is yours. 😜

P.S. Peeking on your profile I noticed that you are american, so I don't know if there, these cards are easily available or as cheap as in Europe. 🤔
Thank you for the reply, I ended up getting the Yellow R4 SDHC GOLD Pro 2021 version off Amazon, I am not sure what this is running, but I don't think its the Wood firmware with YSMenu, Am I correct that I need to be careful which version of firmware I try to replace on this card ?
I will look around on the site some more to see if anyone posted anything about this exact card.
Thank you for any guidance.

Reactions: Nikokaro

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for the reply, I ended up getting the Yellow R4 SDHC GOLD Pro 2021 version off Amazon, I am not sure what this is running, but I don't think its the Wood firmware with YSMenu, Am I correct that I need to be careful which version of firmware I try to replace on this card ?
I will look around on the site some more to see if anyone posted anything about this exact card.
Thank you for any guidance.
The thing about the flashcart models with the year 2021 on its label is that you can never be sure which one it is until you have it in your hands, whether it is the one that runs YSMenu or the one that runs Wood. This is why, at least on my end, I always suggest purchasing any flashcart on eBay that look generic and have no sticker on its front, or one of the ### in 1 carts, as we know for sure what kernel that needs.

One very simple way to know which is which is by looking at the website link on the cart's label, should you buy the one with 2021 in its name.

Lopt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing about the flashcart models with the year 2021 on its label is that you can never be sure which one it is until you have it in your hands, whether it is the one that runs YSMenu or the one that runs Wood. This is why, at least on my end, I always suggest purchasing any flashcart on eBay that look generic and have no sticker on its front, or one of the ### in 1 carts, as we know for sure what kernel that needs.

One very simple way to know which is which is by looking at the website link on the cart's label, should you buy the one with 2021 in its name.
Thank you The website on my cart is r4isdhc can you tell me if this is one of the carts that can run wood ? or should I stick with Ysmenu ? on the Cart says 2021 R4 3ds upgrade SDHC Gold Pro Real Time Saves it is mustard yellow color with gold foil sticker and came in Gold foil folding box small.

Thank you for any advice,

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you The website on my cart is r4isdhc can you tell me if this is one of the carts that can run wood ? or should I stick with Ysmenu ? on the Cart says 2021 R4 3ds upgrade SDHC Gold Pro Real Time Saves it is mustard yellow color with gold foil sticker and came in Gold foil folding box small.

Thank you for any advice,
Need more than r4isdhc. Is it r4isdhc.com? r4isdhc.hk? r4isdhc.com.cn? anything?

(If you can't post links, just tell me what it says after r4isdhc.)

Reactions: Lopt

lollysan82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, I have a ds lite with an old R4i Gold, I didn't use it for many years but now it gives me the date expiration error. I tried installing the Retrogamefan update following the tutorial but it doesn't boot. There's an error message displaying MENU? in square brackets on the upper screen with no other options. What could be the problem?

TApo85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hi, I have a ds lite with an old R4i Gold, I didn't use it for many years but now it gives me the date expiration error. I tried installing the Retrogamefan update following the tutorial but it doesn't boot. There's an error message displaying MENU? in square brackets on the upper screen with no other options. What could be the problem?
"MENU?" display means you copy wrong boot file. Can you post your card's screenshot here? It will usefull if people know your card using. Or you can try with twilight menu flashcart. Sorry for my bad english.

lollysan82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
"MENU?" display means you copy wrong boot file. Can you post your card's screenshot here? It will usefull if people know your card using. Or you can try with twilight menu flashcart. Sorry for my bad english.
Hi, the cart is this one

Attachments

• 20211130_080447.jpg
    20211130_080447.jpg
    859.5 KB · Views: 75

77Urmel77

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
(RetroGameFan Multi Cart Update v7.06;YSMenu.ini)

I translated the lines of [LITERALS_ENG] to German.

I don't know how well this works. I'm shure the new-line-marker is set wrong often because the length of words and phrases differ from the English equivalent.

But feel free to use these lines and/or optimize them.

To use them just add these lines to your "YSMenu.ini"-file and change the chosen language in it, setting "LITERALS=LITERALS_ENG" to "LITERALS=LITERALS_GER".

Edit: Just fixed a few errors in this post.
Edit2: Minor translation optimisatons.
Edit3: Minor translation optimisatons. 10.12.21 16:55 UTC+1
Edit3: Minor translation optimisatons. 11.12.21 10:20 UTC+1
Edit4: Minor translation optimisatons. 12.12.21 09:08 UTC+1

[LITERALS_GER]
BTN_OK=OK(A)
BTN_YES=Ja(A)
BTN_NO=Nein(B)
BTN_STOP=Stop(B)
BTN_IGNORE=Ignorieren(X)

ERROR=Fehler
CHEAT=Cheat
DMA=ªDMA
RESET=ªReset
BROWSE=+
SLOT2=Slot2
NDS=NDS
GBA=GBA
FIRMWARE=DS Menue

GAMES=Spiele
SAVES=Speicherstaende
ALL_FILES=Alle Dateien

RUMBLE=Vibration
RUMBLE_LOW=Vibration(Wenig)
RUMBLE_MID=Vibration(Mittel)
RUMBLE_TOP=Vibration(Stark)

GBA_NOR=GBA-NOR
GBA_NOR_WRITE=Schreibvorgang
GBA_NOR_READ_SRAM=SRAM->Datei
GBA_NOR_CONFIRM=In NOR schreiben?
GBA_NOR_SAME=ROM wurde bereits ins NOR geschrieben.\nUeberschreiben?
GBA_NOR_SRAM_ONLY=Ausschliesslich SRAM (X)
GBA_NOR_DIFF=Bereits anderes ROM im NOR vorhanden.\nSRAM in Datei sichern?
GBA_NOR_SRAM_CONFIRM=SRAM in Datei sichern?
GBA_NOR_NO_INFO=Keine Dateinamen-Daten für NOR

BOOTING=Bootvorgang
LOADING=Ladevorgang

UNKNOWN_DLDI_TYPE=Nicht unterstuetzter DLDI-Typ
NO_BOOT_LOADER=Kann Loader nicht oeffnen
CANT_READ_BOOT_LOADER=Loader nicht lesbar

NO_SAV_CREATE=Keine Speicherdatei \nvorhanden. Erstellen?
CANT_CREATE_SAV=Kann Speicherdatei nicht erstellen

COPYING=Kopiervorgang
CANT_OPEN_COPY_SRC=Kann Quelldatei nicht oeffnen
CANT_OPEN_COPY_DST=Kann Zielort nicht oeffnen

DAY_WEEK=
DAY_WEEK_LEN=0

KIND_SAVE=< Speicherdatei >
KIND_BACKUP=< Sicherung >
KIND_GB=< GameBoy >
KIND_NES=< Famicom/NES >
KIND_TEXT=< Text >
KIND_UNKNOWN=< Unbekannt >
KIND_FOLDER=< Ordner >
KIND_PARENT=Uebergeordnet

MOD_DATE=Erstellt am :ª
MOD_DATE_SAVE=Zuetzt gepeichert :ª

CHEAT_SAVE_FAIL=Speichern fehlgeschlagen
CHEAT_CANCEL=Aenderung verwerfen und \nzum Menue zurueckkehren?

PASSME=PassMe
BOOT_SLOT2=Starte GBA
NO_SLOT2=Kein Cartridge in Slot2.\nStarten erzwingen?
NO_PASS=Keine Beipasskarte in Slot2.\nStarten erzwingen?

CANT_OPEN_NDS=Kann .nds-Datei nicht oeffnen
CANT_READ_NDS=Kann .nds-Datei nicht lesen
CANT_OPEN_SAV=Kann Speicherdatei nicht oeffnen
SAV_IS_DIR=Ordner namens "SAV" existiert
CREATING_SAV=Speicherdatei wird erstellt...
CANT_CREATE_SAV2=Speicherdatei-Erstellen fehlgeschlagen
CANT_CREATE_ARP=Kann YSMENU.ARP nicht erstellen
CREATING_SYS=Erstelle TTMENU.SYS...
CANT_CREATE_SYS=Kann TTMENU.SYS nicht erstellen

BACKUP=Sicherung
RESTORE=Wiederherstellung
BACKUP_CONFIRM=.sav-Datei in .bak-Datei sichern?\n(alte .bak-Datei wird ueberschrieben)
RESTORE_CONFIRM=.sav-Datei aus .bak-Datei wiederherstellen?\n(vorhandene .sav-Datei wird ueberschrieben)

DELETE=Loeschvorgang
DEL_FOLDER_CONFIRM=Diesen Ordner loeschen?
DEL_FILE_CONFIRM=Diese Datei loeschen?
CANT_DEL=Kann nicht geloescht werden...

SAVING_SRAM=Speichere GBA-SRAM...
NO_FLASH_CART=Keine Flashkarte in Slot2
CANT_OPEN_GBA=Kann .gba-Datei nicht oeffnen
GBA_EZ4PATCHED=ROM ist fuer EZ gepatcht\nLaden fortsetzen?
GBA_NORPATCHED=ROM ist fuer NOR gepatcht\nSRAM zu NOR ueberschreiben?
GBA_SRAM_FORMAT=SRAM fuer YSMENU formatieren?\nAndere Tool-Dateien werden ueberschrieben
GBA_SIZE_OVER=ROM ist groesser als PSRAM\nLaden fortsetzen?

CANT_OPEN_ROM=Kann ROM-Datei nicht oeffnen
CANT_OPEN_EMU=Kann Emulator nicht oeffnen

CANT_OPEN_FILE=Kann die Datei nicht oeffnen

HELP_CHEAT=START = Speichern und Verlassen\nB = Abbrechen und Verlassen
HELP_ETC=START = Verlassen\nX = Starte GBA\nY = PassMe\nSELECT = DS Menue
HELP_TEXTVIEW=START = Verlassen\nB = Verlassen

Last edited by 77Urmel77,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.