RetroArch's Steam release has been delayed to later this year

play-1-1024x577.jpg

Originally planned for a launch at the end of this month, Libretro has announced that they will be postponing the release of RetroArch for Steam. The reasoning behind the delay is that the team wishes to have a more polished version that, "will meet the user expectations of your average Steam user". RetroArch will now launch sometime soon, in the third quarter of 2019. Regardless of the Steam version's delay, the latest RetroArch update, 1.7.8, will not be affected, and is still slated to be out within the next two weeks.

:arrow: Source

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how you delay something that already exists?
polishing yeah right i bet you nintendo have something to do with the delay. they don't want you playing NES games for free when they can charge you for 2 shitty ones each month :creep:
Nintendo can’t do anything because emulation isn’t illegal.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
polishing yeah right i bet you nintendo have something to do with the delay. they don't want you playing NES games for free when they can charge you for 2 shitty ones each month :creep:
I didn't knew that valve was part of nintendo.

silly stuff aside, I understand, retroarch has a way to go before being completely ignorant friendly. there are some things (like playlists for example) that don't work quite right or need some manual text file editing to adjust.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I will be surprised if it is released at all - seems like a legal goat rodeo

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
RetroArch never ever had an intuitive interface, and maybe they finally caught on to the fact that they need to change this before release for the masses. You should click a ROM and it should run with a default core and that should be it. Any further tweaking should be left for advanced users in a better arranged menu.

Randy Steele

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't see the point. Retroarch already exists on pc and works just fine. It's not like your steam account will store your roms and save files and give you the ability to play those games anywhere you go just like steam games.

Reactions: CrossOut

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate that Retroarch exists, but it has always been a convoluted mess with terrible UX design, so it's surprising to me that they're self aware enough this late in the game to realize it's going to lead to bad reviews from the average Joe.

Terrible UI? That's funny, it works fine for me, maybe you just don't have the patience to use it.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even as an "advanced" user of this, getting around sometimes is a serious drag. So, yeah. I can see why they're doing this. Even though I've always liked the UI of Retroarch.

Reactions: DrakeLyon

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The retroarch menu isn't bad at all people (like what're you comparing it to? mgba?) . The one thing I would say is that showing advanced options is hidden away in an odd place. Other than that it's not bad at all and you can change the layout. I'm sad that it's being postponed, it It's already out so I guess it doesn't matter too much. I like how emulation probably is gonna be more widespread probably from this though

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Who actually has trouble with RetroArch's menu? Aside from the "shut 'er down" button I always goddamn accidentally hit, it works fine. Making it idiot-proof is a pretty smart idea though. Especially for a steam release.

RetroArch is perfectly legal.

There's too much stupid in this thread to address tbh. Delays are good. They're a lot better than rushed shitty releases, and really GBAtemp is probably not the target audience for a tool like this on Steam. (though it being on steam is cool for the integration aspect)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Who actually has trouble with RetroArch's menu? Aside from the "shut 'er down" button I always goddamn accidentally hit, it works fine. Making it idiot-proof is a pretty smart idea though. Especially for a steam release.

RetroArch is perfectly legal.

There's too much stupid in this thread to address tbh. Delays are good. They're a lot better than rushed shitty releases, and really GBAtemp is probably not the target audience for a tool like this on Steam. (though it being on steam is cool for the integration aspect)
The escape key? They added an option to only exit the program when you hit it twice.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Terrible UI? That's funny, it works fine for me, maybe you just don't have the patience to use it.
Not a fan of it, either. Of course I've just never liked the XMB setup...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol