RetroArch's Steam release has been delayed to later this year

play-1-1024x577.jpg

Originally planned for a launch at the end of this month, Libretro has announced that they will be postponing the release of RetroArch for Steam. The reasoning behind the delay is that the team wishes to have a more polished version that, "will meet the user expectations of your average Steam user". RetroArch will now launch sometime soon, in the third quarter of 2019. Regardless of the Steam version's delay, the latest RetroArch update, 1.7.8, will not be affected, and is still slated to be out within the next two weeks.

:arrow: Source

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The escape key? They added an option to only exit the program when you hit it twice.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not a fan of it, either. Of course I've just never liked the XMB setup...

To each their own, no sense in trying to explain why I like it

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
To each their own, no sense in trying to explain why I like it
That's the beauty of it. You don't have to. I can understand why. It's actually simplistic enough, and snappy. Doesn't look bad with the right background and themes.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RetroArch never ever had an intuitive interface, and maybe they finally caught on to the fact that they need to change this before release for the masses. You should click a ROM and it should run with a default core and that should be it. Any further tweaking should be left for advanced users in a better arranged menu.

Good developers are seldom good UI designer.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really because emulation isn't illegal. Nintendo wont be able to touch them as long as they don't provide ROMs.
All of that I understand, however the emulator is useless without roms and it's obvious everyone using it is going to go to their favorite rom site and grab a bunch up

This program itself is not illegal, yes, but anyone who releases it is at least complicit with the illegal part taking place (pirating roms)

In that sense it's bad optics more than anything

Kind of like a store that sells marijuana accessories - legal, but obviously supporting illegal activity - so a reputable business would shy from selling such a product

SlasherGamer21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
All of that I understand, however the emulator is useless without roms and it's obvious everyone using it is going to go to their favorite rom site and grab a bunch up

This program itself is not illegal, yes, but anyone who releases it is at least complicit with the illegal part taking place (pirating roms)

In that sense it's bad optics more than anything

Kind of like a store that sells marijuana accessories - legal, but obviously supporting illegal activity - so a reputable business would shy from selling such a product

Well I did hear they were trying to get deals with companies such as Nintendo to sell games as DLC so its perfectly legal. I mean...I for one hate that idea because I mean...while piracy is illegal they are literally just old games that aren't even sold anymore so why should we pay like 100's of dollars for ROMs when we can just get them for free or dump them from our legit copies even.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The last time a third-party company released a commercial emulator, it was ran into the ground with a frivolous lawsuit, going bankrupt in the process despite winning the legal battle - legal fees are expensive.

There is legal precedent for commercial emulators for sure, but I would be very careful releasing it on a platform like Steam. The XMB interface might cause them some grief for starters - I suspect Sony will have a word or two to say about them using it.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So... has anyone on this forum written n easy guide to use RetroArch on Windows and Linux? Because at this rate Psychonauts 2 will be out before RetroArch.

Last edited by raxadian,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye tempBOT: @ The Real Jdbye farts behind the fan +1