Homebrew RetroArch won't let me press Start or Select when playing NES zapper games

WillIEvenUseThis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a few days ago I downloaded the Wii version of RetroArch, and I went to play Duck Hunt using the FCEUMM core for NES games. However, even though the Zapper controls work just fine (I'm using the Wii Remote in case you were wondering), the game won't let me press the Start or Select buttons. This means I'm unable to pause the game or select different game modes on the title screen.

And it's not just Duck Hunt that doesn't work, I tried playing Wild Gunman and the same thing happened; the actual Zapper controls work fine but I can't pause it or select different modes. Does anyone know how to help? I'm aware that I could just use the FCE Ultra GX emulator for Wii, but I prefer RetroArch due to the large amount of options.

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So a few days ago I downloaded the Wii version of RetroArch, and I went to play Duck Hunt using the FCEUMM core for NES games. However, even though the Zapper controls work just fine (I'm using the Wii Remote in case you were wondering), the game won't let me press the Start or Select buttons. This means I'm unable to pause the game or select different game modes on the title screen.

And it's not just Duck Hunt that doesn't work, I tried playing Wild Gunman and the same thing happened; the actual Zapper controls work fine but I can't pause it or select different modes. Does anyone know how to help? I'm aware that I could just use the FCE Ultra GX emulator for Wii, but I prefer RetroArch due to the large amount of options.

First, like on a real NES you must insert the Zapper in port 2. In FCEUMM, you must assign the same Wiimote to a gamepad in port 1 to be able to select the options.

Open Retroarch's menu :
Settings->Input->User 2 Binds->User 2 Device Type: Zapper
Settings->Input->User 2 Binds->User 2 Device Index: Wiimote Controller

Settings->Input->User 1 Binds->User 1 Device Type: Gamepad
Settings->Input->User 1 Binds->User 1 Device Index: Wiimote Controller

Now, you can use Minus button to select the modes and aim in the game with the Zapper.

WillIEvenUseThis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, like on a real NES you must insert the Zapper in port 2. In FCEUMM, you must assign the same Wiimote to a gamepad in port 1 to be able to select the options.

Open Retroarch's menu :
Settings->Input->User 2 Binds->User 2 Device Type: Zapper
Settings->Input->User 2 Binds->User 2 Device Index: Wiimote Controller

Settings->Input->User 1 Binds->User 1 Device Type: Gamepad
Settings->Input->User 1 Binds->User 1 Device Index: Wiimote Controller

Now, you can use Minus button to select the modes and aim in the game with the Zapper.
Sorry for the late reply, was having some trouble with RetroArch.

I did what you said and I'm still not able to press start and select

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry for the late reply, was having some trouble with RetroArch.

I did what you said and I'm still not able to press start and select

You could try with the first Fceumm build with lightgun support from here : https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-lightgun-support.548089/

I've tested Duckhunt and no issue. Maybe a bug in latest version. And always delete previous config when testing different versions!

There may other versions floating around that I won't advertize here.(not releasing source code is bad, sorry.)

Reactions: WillIEvenUseThis

WillIEvenUseThis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could try with the first Fceumm build with lightgun support from here:

I've tested Duckhunt and no issue. Maybe a bug in latest version. And always delete previous config when testing different versions!

There may other versions floating around that I won't advertize here.(not releasing source code is bad, sorry.)

It worked! Thank you so much, I've been trying to get the NES light gun games to fully work in RetroArch Wii for a while now, and I'm glad to have the pause and mode select features finally working

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...