Homebrew RETROARCH WII - Setting it up Mini Tutorial.

In order to improve this tutorial: Is it helpful?

• Total voters

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This guide is a WIP (planning to add Screenshots and videos later in the future) in order to show you how to set up Retroarch for the Nintendo Wii.
I still have to show you Overlays, VideoFilters, Audio Filters and the proof of loading CPS3 and NEOGEO roms.

IMPORTANT NOTE: FOR THIS SETTUP I'LL BE USING A GAMECUBE CONTROLLER.
  • A ACCEPTS
  • B RETURNS
  • IN ORDER TO SET SOMETHING TO IT'S DEFAULT SETTINGS, HIGHLIGHT THE OPTION AND PRESS START ON YOUR GAMECUBE CONTROLLER.

STEP 1.- Download Retroarch:
STEP 2.- Setting up Retroarch
  • Place your SD card in your Wii console, and you should see RETROARCH in the Homebrew Channel. Start it.
  • If it loads to a Black Screen only to return to the Homebrew Channel, delete the file called boot.dol (inside the retroarch folder inside the apps folder in your SD root)
  • Copy any core of your choice (in my case the SNES9X core) and rename it to boot.dol.
  • Check if you're able to load Retroarch on your Wii now.
STEP 3.- Setting up Folders on SD (PERSONAL SETUP)
  • Create a folder on the root of your SD called ROMS.
  • Create Subfolders on the ROMS folder for every core you would want to use. I own a CPS1, CPS2, CPS3. MAME2000, MAME2003, NEOGEO, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, SEGA, PCE, folders in the main ROMS folder.
  • Place your rom files on each folder. Remember to have them separated.
  • TOTALLY OPTIONAL: YOU CAN PLACE ALL YOUR ROMS ON ONE FOLDER IF YOU WANT TO
  • If using NEOGEO roms, remember to place the neogeo.bin file in your NeoGeo ROMS Subfolder, and the CACHE files on the SYSTEM subfolder. Follow this guide in order to play NEOGEO: https://gbatemp.net/threads/large-neogeo-games-support-and-cps3-tests.493767/ )
  • If using MAME2003 PLUS games, follow this link to get your Cores: https://gbatemp.net/threads/mame-2003-plus.499497/
STEP 4.- Setting RetroArch on your Wii
  • Start Retroarch, and you should boot directly to the renamed core you chose to be boot.dol
    Notice on the top of your screen it says: MAIN MENU
  • Navigate to the Settings option,.then to Configuration, and DESELECT the option "Save Configuration on Quit"
  • Press B to return to the MAIN MENU.
  • Select Configuration File and select: Save Current Configuration
  • Navigate to Settings then to User Interface, then to Menu Item Visibility, then turn ON and OFF the following options:
  1. Show 'Load Core' [ON]
  2. Show 'Load Content' [ON]
  3. Show 'Information' [OFF]
  4. Show 'Configuration File' [ON]
  5. Show 'Help' [OFF]
  6. Show 'Quit Retroarch' [ON]
  7. Show 'Restart RetroArch' [ON]
  8. Show 'Favorites' [OFF]
  9. Show 'Music' [OFF]
  10. Show 'History' [OFF]
  11. Show 'Import Content' [OFF]
  12. Show 'Playlist' [OFF]
  13. ALL THE OTHER OPTIONS DO NOT INTERFERE WITH RETROARCH SO DO AS YOU WANT
  • Press B to return to the MAIN MENU and you should notice it only says:
    Load Core
    Load Content
    Subsystems
    Settings
    Configuration File
    Restart Retroarch
    Quit Retroarch
  • Choose Configuration File and select: Save Current Configuration
RECOMMENDED THAT ONCE YOU'VE SAVED THESE SETTINGS GO BACK TO MAIN MENU AND SELECT QUIT RETROARCH (Retroarch for Wii can't handle a lot of operations on the same time and it will hang to a DSI ERROR MENU, so this is to prevent that in order to continue with the following steps)

STEP 5.- Setting up the User Interface.
  • While on MAIN MENU navigate to the Settings. Select it.
  • Select User Interface once again.
  • Select Menu Item Visibility.
  • Select Settings. Turn ON and OFF the following options:
  1. Show 'Drivers' [OFF]
  2. Show 'Video' [ON]
  3. Show 'Audio' [ON]
  4. Show 'Input' [ON]
  5. Show 'Latency' [ON]
  6. Show 'Core' [OFF]
  7. Show 'Configuration' [ON]
  8. Show 'Saving' [OFF]
  9. Show 'Logging' [OFF]
  10. Show 'File Browser' [OFF]
  11. Show 'Frame Throttle' [ON]
  12. Show 'Recording' [OFF]
  13. Show 'On Screen Display' [OFF]
  14. Show 'User Interface' [ON]
  15. Show 'AI Service' [OFF]
  16. Show 'Accessibility' [OFF]
  17. Show 'Power Management' [OFF]
  • Select Configuration File, and choose "Save Current Configuration"
  • Return to the MAIN MENU and Quit Retroarch.
You should go back to the Homebrew Channel, and then, load Retroarch Once again.
You should boot up to the MAIN MENU with a much less cluthered MAIN MENU, if not, repeat the steps above and select Save Current Configuration. Double check that "Save Configuration on Quit" is OFF.

STEP 6.- Setting up Folder Routes on RetroArch Wii
  • Once you've loaded RetroArch once again, you should be on the MAIN MENU.
  • Navigate to the Settings option. Select it.
  • Navigate to the Directory option. Select it.
  • You should see a screen with DIRECTORY on the top of your screen.
  • Just set the routes of your files within this screen. In order to navigate these settings correctly, you must press A in order to GET INSIDE A FOLDER. Once you've navigated to a desired folder, you have to choose <Use This Directory> with A and RetroArch will use that folder to access whatever you tell it to access. Have in mind that MANY settings that Retroarch might show you it has, WON'T WORK AT ALL ON THE WII (For instance, Recording, Online Updater, Favourites). The folder routes that we're interested the most into will be highlighted with bold text and in bigger fonts. The other options doesn't matter.
    The folder routes you must set up are the following:
  • System/BIOS -> sd:/retroarch/system (This is to load BIOS files for the Gameboy emulators. Totally optional)
  • Downloads -> <Default>
  • Assets -> sd:/apps/retroarch/assets
  • Dynamic Backgrounds -> <Default>
  • Thumbnails -> <Default>
  • File Browser -> sd:/ROMS (File Browser is where you have placed your ROMS. If you have subfolders to separate ROMS for your Cores, do not choose a Subfolder, but the folder containing the subfolders containing the ROMS)
  • Configs -> sd:/retroarch/config (Set the route in order to save Configuration)
  • Cores -> sd:/apps/retroarch (This is where you have placed your cores. Just navigate to the folders containing the cores. But I prefer to have them in the retroarch folder inside the apps folder)
  • Core Info -> sd:/apps/retroarch/info
  • Cheat Files -> sd:/apps/retroarch/cheats (This is optional if you want to use Cheats)
  • Video Filters -> sd:/apps/retroarch/filters/video (This is optional if you would like to use Video Filters like Scanlines, or hq2x to soften pixels in games. Have in mind that these might work with some cores and might not work with other cores. Sometimes will cause slowdowns)
  • Audio Filters -> sd:/apps/retroarch/filters/audio (This is to use Audio Filters such as Echo.dsp. It will make Zelda A Link to the Past sound AMAZING)
  • Recordings -> <Default>
  • Overlays -> sd:/apps/retroarch/overlays (If Video Filters are not working for you, you can use Overlays on top of your Games, such as Scanlines, Grids, etc.)
  • Screenshots -> <Content Directory>
  • Input Autoconfig -> sd:/apps/retroarch/autoconfig (Many cores will require different button remappings. This setting will allow RetroArch to AUTOLOAD such Button Remappings without having to set them everytime you load the core. Useful to set up Button Remappings for Fighting Games and Arcade Games)
  • Input Remaps -> sd:/apps/retroarch/remaps (If you don't set a route for this setting, your Input Remaps won't be saved at all. This will also allow you to load Input Remaps at any given time with any core)
  • Playlist -> sd:/retroarch/playlists
  • Favorites -> <Default>
  • History -> <Default>
  • Images -> <Default>
  • Music -> <Default>
  • Videos -> <Default>
  • Runtime Logs -> <Default>
  • Save Files -> sd:/retroarch/savefiles (This is in order to Save your progress for games that uses savefiles, like SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, etc.)
  • Save States -> sd:/retroarch/savestates
  • Cache -> sd:/retroarch/system/cache (If you're planning to load NEOGEO and CPS3 roms, they require cache files, so, set up this directory and place your Cache files in the folder in order to play the games)
  • System Event Logs -> sd:/retroarch/logs

For all of this you must've had set up all your folders BEFORE setting the routes. And have in mind that this is my particular settup. So if you have your stuff in other folders navitate to the folders you are using.
  • Once you're done setting up the Folder Routes... press B and navigate to the MAIN MENU.
  • Select Configuration File and choose: "Save Current Configuration"
  • Quit Retroarch. Load it again, and it should work flawlessly from now onwards.
THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH TO HAVE A WORKING RETROARCH.

IN ORDER TO LOAD YOUR ROMS:

Method 1:
  • Load Retroarch.
  • You'll see the Main Menu.
  • Select: Load Core
  • Once it's loaded, select Load Content. Then Start Directory.
  • It should go straight to your ROMS folder.
  • Select the rom you'd like to play (as long as it can be read by the Core you've selected)
  • Select Load Archive. Press A again as it shows you what Core you've chosen.
  • It should load the rom right away.
Method 2: If everything is working correctly
  • Load RetroArch.
  • Select: Load Content then Start Directory.
  • It should go straight to your ROMS folder.
  • Select the rom you'd like to play.
  • RetroArch will autoload the proper Core to load your rom.
  • If you have multiple roms for the same system (for example SNES9X and SNES9X 2005 and SNES9X 2010) RetroArch will let you choose one core to start the rom.
  • If you don't have multiple cores for the same system, it will skip this step.

EXTRAS: (work in progress)
  1. Imput Remaps and Hotkeys.
  2. Using Overlays
  3. Using VideoFilters
  4. Using AudioFilters

Last edited by JuanMena,

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
DOWNLOAD RETROARCH: Contains older STABLE versions
https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/

DOWNLOAD NEO-GEO CORE TO PLAY LARGE ROMS: Personally, the latest version won't load roms for me. So if this is your case, download older versions.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/s7ois22a4d1gc7k/FBA-VM_R6.zip/file

DOWNLOAD CPS3 CORE:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/gyz81mxn0w3x8bh/FBA_CPS3_R3.zip/file

More Information about NEO-GEO and CPS3: https://gbatemp.net/threads/large-neogeo-games-support-and-cps3-tests.493767/

DOWNLOAD MAME2003 PLUS CORES:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/82hyenq5eefd94h/MAME2003-WII-0.3.zip/file

More Information about MAME2003 PLUS: https://gbatemp.net/threads/mame-2003-plus.499497/

Last edited by JuanMena,

locomia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey, congrats for the awesome guide!

In the first part, after changing some options in main menu to [OFF], and going back to main menu, the options are not being shown anymore, and I go to Save Current Configuration, when I press 2, or A in the wiimote, it does not even freeze by a sec nor gives any message to make sure that the current configuration was saved.

The option Save configuration on Exit is OFF (double checked), but, whenever I quit retroarch and enter again, the disabled menu options are back again... It seems somehow not to be saving the current configurations...

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey, congrats for the awesome guide!

In the first part, after changing some options in main menu to [OFF], and going back to main menu, the options are not being shown anymore, and I go to Save Current Configuration, when I press 2, or A in the wiimote, it does not even freeze by a sec nor gives any message to make sure that the current configuration was saved.

The option Save configuration on Exit is OFF (double checked), but, whenever I quit retroarch and enter again, the disabled menu options are back again... It seems somehow not to be saving the current configurations...
As long as it doesn't bothers you, then you could leave them as it is. I've personally never had this problem, so don't know what might be happening.

RetroArch doesn't lets you know when it saves something except for some things where it might tell you that a controller has been connected or when you slow down a game. But it certainly won't show you that it's saving settings. The only way to check is by quitting and reloading the app to see if the changes has been made.

The reason why you must turn the "Save Configuration on Quit" is in order to prevent RetroArch from saving unwanted settings if it happens to crash while changing something.

Do you have any other problems?

EDIT: If it's not saving settings... check the Folder Route for Saving Settings in
  • Configs -> sd;/retroarch/config

Last edited by JuanMena,
Reactions: locomia

locomia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It was my fault, for some reason the writing protection of the SD card was being moved to ON position when handling it from PC to WII and vice-versa. I always say that computing is an exoteric science,. I spent hours because of this, and noticed snes9x, wiiflow and other apps were presenting weird behaviors.. lol

Now the retroarch is working, saving things, and I already started to test the games. As you pointed out, mslug3 and kof99 did not work with the 1.9.1 core, and I am right now copying the suggested ones. I also moved all other dol that I dont plan to use this time to another folder, so now I have this:

tela.png

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It was my fault, for some reason the writing protection of the SD card was being moved to ON position when handling it from PC to WII and vice-versa. I always say that computing is an exoteric science,. I spent hours because of this, and noticed snes9x, wiiflow and other apps were presenting weird behaviors.. lol

Now the retroarch is working, saving things, and I already started to test the games. As you pointed out, mslug3 and kof99 did not work with the 1.9.1 core, and I am right now copying the suggested ones. I also moved all other dol that I dont plan to use this time to another folder, so now I have this:

View attachment 269142
Metal Slug 3 and KOF 99 won't work if you don't use the Rom Converter first: https://gbatemp.net/threads/large-neogeo-games-support-and-cps3-tests.493767/

Follow the steps. And you'll be able to load even KOF 2003, SNK VS CAPCOM, GAROU FIGHTERS, METAL SLUG 5, etc.

The Wii can't load roms bigger than 22MB-28MB, so, using that converter will allow a virtual memory to load bigger roms, like KOF2003 and STREET FIGHTER 3: III STRIKE

Reactions: locomia

locomia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks again, brother!
See below feedback of what I tested until now:

NeoGeo : working OK with core 1.3.6
kof99, mslug3 e mslugX worked using 1.3.6 core and converted rom.
mslug, mslug2 and mslug4 did not work with any core, and they give an error of missing files when converting, and because of this, the cache is not created. For this cases I will assume that the rom is not compatible with this emulator and look for new ones

CPS3 : working OK with core 1.7.7 - I tested 4 roms (Red Earth, SF3-1, SF3-2, SF3-3) and 3 of them worked - I will assume that the non-working one (SF3-1) is not compatible and look for a new one

CPS1 and CPS2 : The 1.9.1 core is able to load the games but my wiimote does not work. Maybe I should try other available cores?

MAME: All these mame2003_plus_cores (1.7.6) from A to G go to a black screen. I used roms already separated in respective folders for each core that I downloaded in a pack. Now I am going to test the ALT .dols , and probably the cores that came with the roms

FBALPHA: I have a bunch of roms that came into a pack, they did not work with the 1.9.1 core, I´ll try with the core provided in the pack

I have noticed that there are different roms and cores around the web, and compatibilty lists, so I guess the work now is to arrange the right ones..Work for the next weekend! lol, regards!

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
NeoGeo : working OK with core 1.3.6
kof99, mslug3 e mslugX worked using 1.3.6 core and converted rom.
mslug, mslug2 and mslug4 did not work with any core, and they give an error of missing files when converting, and because of this, the cache is not created. For this cases I will assume that the rom is not compatible with this emulator and look for new ones
Yes! You're right. Try creating the CACHE files with other ROMs.
That Mania site, the Wow site or Cool site might help you.

CPS3 : working OK with core 1.7.7 - I tested 4 roms (Red Earth, SF3-1, SF3-2, SF3-3) and 3 of them worked - I will assume that the non-working one (SF3-1) is not compatible and look for a new one
I had the same problem with SF3-1 and found it needs to be named something different. Will double check and let you know

CPS1 and CPS2 : The 1.9.1 core is able to load the games but my wiimote does not work. Maybe I should try other available cores?
Hm... well, I don't use WiiMotes, I use a GameCube controller.
Does your WiiMote works fine with other cores? If so, it might be an Input Remap problem (settings in RetroArch)
But if you want to try other Cores, I'd suggest you to try CPS1 and CPS2 from RetroArch 1.7.5

MAME: All these mame2003_plus_cores (1.7.6) from A to G go to a black screen. I used roms already separated in respective folders for each core that I downloaded in a pack. Now I am going to test the ALT .dols , and probably the cores that came with the
The Mame2003 cores (A to G) uses this set: https://gbatemp.net/threads/mame2003-compatibility-list.551556/

FBALPHA: I have a bunch of roms that came into a pack, they did not work with the 1.9.1 core, I´ll try with the core provided in the pack
This one is really a Hit-Miss thing. It can load some ROMS that, for example MAME200 or MAME2003-A can't load. Really can't give you a straight answer on compatibility list with FBA. So I'd suggest you to really just see which one works and which don't.

I have noticed that there are different roms and cores around the web, and compatibilty lists, so I guess the work now is to arrange the right ones..Work for the next weekend! lol, regards!
Pretty much yes. Everytime MAME gets updated, the Romsets gets updated too.

Hints:
Core Mame2000: Try with the 037b11 romset. That Mania site can help!
Cores A-G: Try a quick Google search "Full Nonmerged Mame 2003 romset" and look for an Archive Org.

Last edited by JuanMena,

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for this tutorial, I'll be updating my RA install as I am updating my Wii set up after many years so I'm sure this will come in very handy.

I had one question, have any versions since 1.9.1 been tested, why use an old version?

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks for this tutorial, I'll be updating my RA install as I am updating my Wii set up after many years so I'm sure this will come in very handy.

I had one question, have any versions since 1.9.1 been tested, why use an old version?
I don't know if LibRetro are the ones doing the official builds for the Wii.
But whoever does the builds, never tests if they work on the Wii.

Which is why, sometimes, Updating Cores for the Wii won't work (because LibRetro/whoever never test'em)

And in this case is more a trial and error, if newer cores doesn't work, go back to the latest one that was working.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@JuanMena great tutorial for configure RetroArch Wii :)

+1
Thanks? Haha, it's not a huge deal.

Reactions: SaulFabre

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah the builds are on the Libretro downloads section for each release. In that case I'll download 1.9.9 and test the cores as I always like to have the latest version of software.

Reactions: JuanMena

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
Will do. If I have any issues I'll go with 1.9.1 as your tutorial suggests. I'm on 1.0.0.2 anyway :)

Also, is it possible to have RA and RA-Hexaeco installed simultsneously? That build is new to me as I haven't been involved in the Wii scene for quite some time, I'd be very interested in the resolution saving on a per-core basis and may go with that as my primary install instead.

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Will do. If I have any issues I'll go with 1.9.1 as your tutorial suggests. I'm on 1.0.0.2 anyway :)

Also, is it possible to have RA and RA-Hexaeco installed simultsneously? That build is new to me as I haven't been involved in the Wii scene for quite some time, I'd be very interested in the resolution saving on a per-core basis and may go with that as my primary install instead.
I haven't tried the RA-Hexaeco, nonetheless, you can have multiple RA versions as long as they're on their own folder within the apps folder. At least that's how Homebrew Channel works

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

SuperrSonic's RA fork has its own folder inside the Private folder that the Wii uses for its own stuff, so the config files are completely separated, you only need to be sure that both versions of RA have their own folders inside the /app folder and you'll avoid any issues.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
By the way, have there been any improvements to the Virtual Boy core on official releases? Last time I tried, it worked very slowly, unlike the version on Wiimednafen...

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
By the way, have there been any improvements to the Virtual Boy core on official releases? Last time I tried, it worked very slowly, unlike the version on Wiimednafen...
Nope as far as I remember. It's slow for me too.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for the update. I found a site that has archived versions of previous releases, so I can grab cores from there to add to the 1.9.1 build.

https://wii.scenebeta.com/noticia/retroarch-wii
Yes, I have an account there. Anyone wanting to download from that site PM me and I'll lend you my Username and Password.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zufnIPGYQx8 +1