RetroArch version 1.8.5 available, now features new Ozone style menu

RA1-100.jpg

RetroArch just got a facelift, in a brand new 1.8.5 update. The latest version of the emulator frontend offers a new menu option, stylized after the Nintendo Switch's "ozone" menu. For those of you used to the looks of the XMB (PS3) style, fear not, as you can revert back to that in the options, under settings>drivers. A major bug has also been fixed in this update--users who were previously unable to boot RetroArch on certain Chromebooks should now be able to without issue. In addition, many smaller bugfixes were made, along with better performance on Linux via OpenGL. Feel free to check out the official changelog below, or grab the new version from the source below.

• 3DS: Keep the bottom screen hidden on sleep/wakeup. When the 3DS wakes back up after being closed, the bottom screen needs to be reinitialized. Adding the condition here will cause the screen to be turned on or off based on the state of ctr_bottom_screen_enabled, as you’d expect
  • ANDROID/CHROMEBOOK/CRASH: Fix Chromebook crashes (on x86 x64) when touching the screen
  • BUGFIX: Prevent double input when using ‘return’ key (hardware) to close on-screen keyboard
  • BUGFIX: Fix mouse capture hotkey not working
  • BUGFIX: Avoid overflow when calculating multiplying performance counter
  • BUGFIX: Retroarch overlay displaying “Game remap file loaded.” on the overlay instead of “Core remap file loaded.” when only a core remap file is present
  • CHEEVOS/BUGFIX: Achievement triggers could cause Retroarch to Crash
  • CHEEVOS: Don’t block Sameboy core because it only exposes some memory
  • CHEEVOS: Support for extended Sega CD memory
  • CHEEVOS: Show RetroAchievements Hash in content information list
  • CHEEVOS: If the core says it’s exposing SYSTEM_RAM, give it the benefit of the doubt
  • CHEEVOS: RetroAchievements rich presence for RA.org website/Discord
  • CHEEVOS: Reset token when username or password changes
  • CHEEVOS: Display measured progress on locked achievements
  • CHEEVOS: Queue multiple popups
  • CHEEVOS: Add delay retries to leaderboard submits
  • CHEEVOS: Prevent buffer overflow when encountering an unknown macro
  • CORE UPDATER: Prevent hang when fetching core list if HTTP transfer fails
  • DISK CONTROL: Add disk labels to ‘disk inserted’ notifications
  • EMSCRIPTEN: Recreate input event listeners properly
  • FFMPEG CORE: Fix crash on seeking when using HW decoding in some cases
  • LIBRETRO: Add disk control interface API extension
  • LINUX: Avoid possible crash when running retroarch at startup
  • LINUX/GLX: Fix threaded video crashes/instability because of GLX OML sync callbacks
  • LOCALIZATION: Update French translation
  • LOCALIZATION: Update Korean translation
  • LOCALIZATION: Update Polish translation
  • LOCALIZATION: Update Spanish translation
  • LOCALIZATION: Update Portuguese Brazilian translation
  • MENU: Add Menu Scroll Acceleration option
  • MENU: Automatically select currently checked item when opening drop-down lists
  • MENU: Fix smooth (vertical) line ticker scroll speed
  • MENU: Don’t flush on override/remap messages
  • MENU/DATETIME: Adds some new timedate styles that follow the DD/MM/YYYY format, found in several European countries
  • MENU/DATETIME: Modifies the existing translation files in order to accommodate the new options that are now available
  • MENU/DATETIME: Reorders the timedate view options based on a decreasing order of the quantity of information displayed, so that they are more convenient to switch around and easily categorized
  • MENU/BUGFIX: Fix bug – if you were in XMB and you would set menu driver to RGUI, you could no longer go to the left or right tab
  • MENU/MATERIALUI: Add option to remove navigation bar
  • MENU/OZONE: Add DPI-based scaling
  • MENU/OZONE: Add rudimentary pointer support
  • MENU/OZONE: Add ‘Nord’ and ‘Gruvbox Dark’ themes
  • MENU/OZONE/POINTER: Pointer can be used to switch between sidebar and entries list
  • MENU/OZONE/POINTER: Pointer can be used to select sidebar and entries list items
  • MENU/OZONE/POINTER: Both sidebar and entries list can be scrolled by dragging
  • MENU/OZONE/POINTER: Clicking/pressing the header or footer produces a ‘cancel’ action
  • MENU/OZONE/POINTER: Cursor focus follows mouse pointer from sidebar to entries list (and vice versa)
  • MENU/OZONE/POINTER: In entries list, item under cursor is automatically selected (with some fudging to ensure this doesn’t break mouse wheel scrolling)
  • MENU/OZONE/POINTER: In sidebar, item under cursor is not automatically selected (this is too jarring)
  • MENU/RGUI: Add ‘Flux’ theme
  • MENU/XMB: New color themes ‘Cube Purple’, ‘Family Red’, etc
  • NETPLAY/MENU/BUGFIX: Fix Netplay Stateless Mode doesn’t save. Affects other netplay settings which can be overridden by commandline option
  • ODROID GO ADVANCE: Rotation support
  • NETPLAY/ROOMS/BUGFIX: Prevent out-of-bounds array indexing when displaying/selecting netplay rooms in menus
  • SCANNER: Add ‘Arcade DAT Filter’ Option
  • SCANNER: Add scanning Korea and Asia PS1 discs
  • SCANNER: Add support for scanning PSP Korean
  • VIDEO: Set hardware ‘Bilinear filtering’ off by default
  • VIDEO/WIDGETS: Widgets are now menu-independent
  • VIDEO/WIDGETS: Allow notifications to use full screen width when not displaying menu
  • VIDEO/WIDGETS: DPI-based scaling
  • VIDEO/WIDGETS: Fix volume widget scaling
  • VIDEO/WIDGETS: Add independent widget scale override settings for fullscreen/windowed modes
  • VIDEO/WIDGETS/BUGFIX: Prevent improper display of (old style) OSD text when widgets are enabled
  • VIDEO/WIDGETS/THREADED/BUGFIX: Fix issue – corruption of menu widgets when running some cores (e.g. VICE) with threaded video enabled
  • WIFI/CONNMANCTL: Display more characters from SSID

ozone-768x414.png

:arrow: Source

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
definitely a fix to one of their most glaring problems. Probably still prefer individual emulators tweaked to how I like them, but this is great for those who like retroarch.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont like that menu :v it loos bad on Wii U Gamepad because of resolution problems i guess...

I'm with ya, i was growing tired of the Playstation gui too, whichever that one is. I'm instead using the glui setting with one of its darker themes with the magnification in the menus up like 30% or so, and i feel its the best looking option for it on the Wii U at this time.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
probably because on most systems the retroarch cores perform worse than the alternatives unless the retroarch core is a near-exact port of the LATEST version of a good emulator- none of that snes9x 2010 bullcrap
Why do you even use the 2010 version? Snes9x mainline is the best (in most cases).
Also of course many emulators are more recent and more stable than their libretro core counterpart but especially for most older systems this doesn't matter at all speedwise.
It matters for options though as not all standalone options an emulator offers are also transported to the libretro core options menu but having "everything under one roof" is an amazing experience for me, especially since it's available for so many host systems.

I can even exclude a few parts of a full RetroArch setup to be on a mobile storage and carry it around to different host systems (Wii U, Windows, Linux, Mac). I mean I put the following things onto an external drive:
  • thumbnails
  • playlists
  • cheats
  • system/bios files
  • roms
  • savestates
  • savegames
Then I just adjust every RetroArch setup on each host in directory to point to the drive and so I can continue my games and their savegames wherever I want whenever I want.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you even use the 2010 version? Snes9x mainline is the best (in most cases).
Also of course many emulators are more recent and more stable than their libretro core counterpart but especially for most older systems this doesn't matter at all speedwise.
It matters for options though as not all standalone options an emulator offers are also transported to the libretro core options menu but having "everything under one roof" is an amazing experience for me, especially since it's available for so many host systems.

I can even exclude a few parts of a full RetroArch setup to be on a mobile storage and carry it around to different host systems (Wii U, Windows, Linux, Mac). I mean I put the following things onto an external drive:
  • thumbnails
  • playlists
  • cheats
  • system/bios files
  • roms
  • savestates
  • savegames
Then I just adjust every RetroArch setup on each host in directory to point to the drive and so I can continue my games and their savegames wherever I want whenever I want.
I don't use 2010 because I KNOW how much it sucks. However... it's the latest Retroarch 3DS has.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is something user-hostile if it doesn't hold your hand for literally everything now?
I would consider that green screen user hostile. Sure, it was managable, but nothing made since at a glance. It was hard to keep track of where things were, or what they did. Some simple animation and big readable buttons go a long way

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is something user-hostile if it doesn't hold your hand for literally everything now?
Honestly ? Almost. For example, the way Retroarch handles playlists is, imo, user-hostile as it doesn't let you make your playlists the way you like that easily. Same with the thumbnails, boxarts etc ... Even when my roms are no-intro and I've updated the boxarts through the online adapter. Something "user-friendly" wouldn't be as tough to use, tho it could be worse so I'm not considering this menu to be really user-hostile.

Tho I consider the desktop UI on PC 100% user-hostile.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol