OP
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
retroarch-logo-300x611.png

RetroArch version 1.2 has been released for Android, Windows and Linux, with Mac, Console, iOS, and Blackberry support all coming within the next week.

The new update includes a huge list of new features, some of which include:

• Brand new GUI choices
  • Scanning file directories for games and sorting them by console
  • View database information about games
  • Online downloading of additional cores as well as cheats, skins and updates
  • Game & Watch emulator
  • Built-in input mapping
  • Controls remapping
  • Cheat support
  • Multi-language support
  • Over 80 cores to choose from
  • Play music and media files within RetroArch
  • and tons more!

:arrow: For download links and more information

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't even tried it on PSP but I seriously doubt they'll get it to perform well at all for 3DS. Perhaps they will surprise everyone on that one, though.

So great to hear about the PS3 support with this release...I'm using 1.0.0.2 and it's a bit crash prone, to be honest. I hope they will make the cores downloadable from PC for PS3, though. Not sure if I can have my PS3 connected at the moment.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest I never cared for it on Android as it isn't as good as dedicated emulators

Hmm, it's not that bad lol.

I haven't even tried it on PSP but I seriously doubt they'll get it to perform well at all for 3DS. Perhaps they will surprise everyone on that one, though.

So great to hear about the PS3 support with this release...I'm using 1.0.0.2 and it's a bit crash prone, to be honest. I hope they will make the cores downloadable from PC for PS3, though. Not sure if I can have my PS3 connected at the moment.

You never know, the 3DS just needs more work on it is all.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Actually RetroArch implements some of the most accurate ports of emulators available for Android, some of which are way better than standalones, or at least they were - what I've never liked was the GUI. It was horrible. I hope they've fixed it!

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually RetroArch implements some of the most accurate ports of emulators available for Android, some of which are way better than standalones, or at least they were - what I've never liked was the GUI. It was horrible. I hope they've fixed it!

They redid the GUI on Android, Windows, etc (it's on the RetroArch blog), the Wii doesn't have the memory enough to do a a new GUI, so blame the limitations of the Wii hardware. Personally, I never understood the unwarranted hate for it; it is what is, right? That being said, when there's a Wii U port, then the new GUI can be implemented, a Wii U port is inevitable methinks.

Emulation-wise, it's a helluva lot better than those buggy GX emulators that have tinny audio, frame-skip issues and code dumps left and right.

I think sometime I'll make a tutorial on RA just to ease peoples' uneasiness.

Edit: Ugh, trying to configure the Classic Controller over Bluetooth on RA 1.2 Android is a f*cking joke.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I think they gravely overestimated how quickly and easily these would get ported to other systems. They aren't the ones porting Retroarch, rather, they seem to be depending on developers from the various scenes to do the porting while they just lend an assist here or there. That means the PSP version is probably never happening because even porting Retroarch to begin with has been a nightmare of never happening. The Wii version probably won't happen because nobody is really working specifically on the Wii scene anymore, especially now that the Wii U scene is slowly opening up. The PS3 version may happen since the PS3 scene is still alive and kicking okay, but I don't know how it is for homebrew so that's still a little iffy.

I get they want Retroarch to be on everything, but unless they're doing it, there isn't a lot of incentive to port to legacy consoles that most have moved on from.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they gravely overestimated how quickly and easily these would get ported to other systems. They aren't the ones porting Retroarch, rather, they seem to be depending on developers from the various scenes to do the porting while they just lend an assist here or there. That means the PSP version is probably never happening because even porting Retroarch to begin with has been a nightmare of never happening. The Wii version probably won't happen because nobody is really working specifically on the Wii scene anymore, especially now that the Wii U scene is slowly opening up. The PS3 version may happen since the PS3 scene is still alive and kicking okay, but I don't know how it is for homebrew so that's still a little iffy.

I get they want Retroarch to be on everything, but unless they're doing it, there isn't a lot of incentive to port to legacy consoles that most have moved on from.

The Wii version is still coming out, I have spoken with the developers personally via private messages and will be out in a day or two. Sheesh. I will take a screenshot of the private messages I have collaborated with if I have to. FFS.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The Wii version is still coming out, I have spoken with the developers personally via private messages and will be out in a day or two. Sheesh. I will take a screenshot of the private messages I have collaborated with if I have to. FFS.
lol why are you getting pissy? It's also late and has had no formal word. It wasn't exactly a leap to assume it was in the same boat as the other versions that seem to be MIA.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I quote the conversation I had with HunterK, a developer

It's not DOA. There are working nightlies you can try at any time. We plan to get a "stable" release soon, but it'll just be a nightly from whichever day we decide it's done. I recommend trying a nightly and if it gives you trouble, provide us with meaningful bug reports so we can get them fixed.

We don't have very many contributors and, since Toad King got busy IRL, nobody uses the Wii port regularly enough to spot all of the bugs. So, if we can't spot them on our own and no one finds and reports them, they can't/won't be fixed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: In a culinary / snack sense of course