Homebrew Question Retroarch Refuses to Launch on Switch, Worked Before I updated OFW, Atmos and Sigpatches

FirM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently had to update the OFW to 12.0.1, so I updated Atmosphere to 0.19.1, and then updated sigpatches accordingly.

Previously, Retroarch 1.9.0 worked just fine, and I was using an NSP forwarder. But ever since, Retroarch refuses to launch. Every other NSP-installed game continues to launch without issue. I have Retroarch installed across two cards, and neither launches RA anymore.

If I try to launch via NSP, I get a generic "The software closed because an error occurred." If I try to launch via Homebrew Album, it crashes Atmos entirely now, and I'm forced to reboot.

I tried replacing the NSP forwarder with the RA 1.9.0 Forwarder found on this site, no change. I tried removing everything in the "retroarch" folder except my sram/save-state folders and thumbnails folder, and then starting with a fresh install from the Libretro website, but again, no change in behavior. Moving the NRO from "switch" to "switch/RetroArch" and back didn't make any difference either.

Oddly enough, I have another SD card with RA set up on it, but it's an entirely different set of games, and I didn't touch the "retroarch" folder yet on this one, and yet it's acting the same exact way as the other card, where I tried to refresh RA from scratch and with an entirely different set of games.

So, I'm stumped! Any suggestions?

FirM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bumping my own post because SOMEONE must know what's going on here! Today I'm trying gutting the first RA card, formatting it and starting entirely from scratch. Fresh atmos, fresh sigpatches, and fresh RA installation (I even moved the saves and thumbnails off the drive to see if they're impacting anything, considering they're the ONLY data I left on the card last time I wiped everything.

One point of note is that I was accidentally installing the newest RA, 1.9.3, instead of the 1.9.0 I was supposed to be on, as that's what the Forwarder was built for. Not sure if that would have made any difference, but I guess I'll report back once I boot the Switch up and see what happens.

FirM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I started with an entirely fresh SD card, even used RA 1.9.0. Forwarder leads to "the software closed because an error occurred" again, Album launch crashes Atmos. Is there some known incompatibility bug here? Do I need to move up in OFW and Atmos versions, as well as move up to 1.9.3 in RA? Why did this break all on its own, when all I did was update OFW, Atmos and Sigs in the first place? And why is RA the only thing that doesn't work?

PS - Yes, the card is formatted in Fat32, like Libretro asks you to.

SkylerBlu9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I can tell, NSP forwarders from before 12.0.0 aren't working and need to be recompiled. You should also probably update RetroArch for this reason, as homebrew applications needed to be updated.

I have found a forwarder tool that works with 12.0.x, as well as a GUI for the application, but since I'm a new user, I can't post links. You should be able to search "NSP Forwarder tool for 12+" on Google though to find it.
I've been able to get it to work, though the icons have been finicky, it does do its job and forward to the .nro like it's supposed to.

Edit: I just read through the post again, I'm running RA 1.9.2, but I'm not using a forwarder, so I'm not sure why yours would crash if on 1.9.3?

Last edited by SkylerBlu9,

FirM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This worked! Thank you so much! PS - If you were using the old 1.9.0 RetroArch Forwarder from January, make sure to move your RA NRO out of "root/switch/RetroArch" and up to "root/switch".

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Made one in case anyone needs.
Works on 13.0.
Used a purple RA icon.
4655c9736d56bb9080c70b50f805fef8.jpg

Attachments

• Retroarch_063FF43C4CFD2000.zip
    333.7 KB · Views: 179
Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?