RetroArch PCSX-ReArmed crashes on B9S + Luma 8.0

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by xXDungeon_CrawlerXx, Jun 14, 2017.

1. xXDungeon_CrawlerXx
    OP

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 29, 2015
    Liverpool
    Hey Guys,

I just tried to use PCSX ReArmed on my New3DS (11.4, B9S, Luma 8.0) but I always get a "An exception occurred" when loading a Game (.bin/.cue).

How can I fix this?
    Downloaded the 2017-06-01 Version of this.

2. xXDungeon_CrawlerXx
    OP

Jul 29, 2015
    Liverpool
    //Edit:
    Tried another old build which worked for me a few months ago (before I had B9S or Luma 8.0).
    Is there a way to get it to work again?

3. Hopalongtom

Hopalongtom GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    No PSX games play at a decent speed anyway!

4. xXDungeon_CrawlerXx
    OP

Jul 29, 2015
    Liverpool
    And why "no"?
    What'S the exact reason for that?

5. sp3off

sp3off One male shadow.

Apr 17, 2013
    France
    Hell's Lair
    PCSX ReARMed is actually pretty optimized for 3DS @Hopalongtom since the 3DS is an ARM device.

6. Hopalongtom

Mar 14, 2009
    Best speed I've had is 32fps but the choppiness made it feel like 14!

7. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Many run well on N3DS with a CIA install. 40-60 is not uncommon on a lot of games.

8. xXDungeon_CrawlerXx
    OP

Jul 29, 2015
    Liverpool
    ...and how can I get it to work on my N3DS with Firmware 11.4, B9S and Luma 8.0 again?

9. Drew That Gamer

Drew That Gamer weeb

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Arlington, VA
    Off-topic. Help the man out.

What I would say is update to the latest version. If that doesn't work, I would contact the Libretro 3DS devs. This has happened to me once or twice with the SNES9X 2002 emulator, and I am guessing that the emulators are just not optimized for the newest version of Luma/B9S.

Pandaxclone2 likes this.
  10. xXDungeon_CrawlerXx
    OP

Jul 29, 2015
    Liverpool
    Just downloaded the latest nightly build (2017-06-14). Same Error :/
    This sucks Dx
    I guess I have to contact the devs :/

11. Hopalongtom

Mar 14, 2009
    Last I heard the 1.3 version of the PSX emulator was the most stable, I think is someone who updated that build of it to work with the new menu system.

12. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    wait they started supporting it again? last i had seen of it they droped support and stoped working on it.

13. zwq939681378

zwq939681378 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2017
    China
    I also have the problem too,the latest version seems to run more smoothly,but it still crashes.

14. Muxi

Muxi GBAtemp Regular

Jun 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    The last working version is one of the last nightlies of version 1.3.6 and can be found at the inofficial retroarch thread.

Last edited by Muxi, Aug 22, 2017
  15. bobdamnit

bobdamnit I rule the Mushroom Kingdom

Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    Retroarch has a known issue with Luma and the way Luma handles crashes. It always crashes for me, regardless of the core I load. Since Luma was updated last (Luma3DS version 8.1.1), Retroarch and NTR CFW are the only homebrew apps still crashing for me.

It's gotten to the point that I prefer the standalone SNES9x and VirtuaNES by bubble2k (god I wish he'd write a Genesis emulator too!) over Retroarch because of a consistent easy to replicate crashes. Basically do this: Load Retroarch, load any core, load any game for that core. You've got a 50/50 chance of actually playing the game and not seeing it crash. If by chance it does load the content and you get to play, it is GOING to crash on Retroarch exit. So, load Retroarch, load core, load content, play for a bit, tap bottom screen, select "Exit Retroarch", CRASH! Everytime. Guaranteed.

Nothing you can do but nag the RA guys to fix it. Since the issue has been present basically forever, I'm not holding my breath. Luma's newest builds got a little more strict on the way it handles crashes (because the CFW devs are depending on people to fix this in their homebrew, where it needs to be fixed), so the issue hasn't been present until Luma3DS build version 8 and beyond.

If you MUST use Retroarch, my suggestion is to continue to use A9LH+Luma3DS 7.1. If you have a NAND backup from this setup, you can use GodMode9 to restore that NAND successfully to remove B9S, restore A9LH, and restore Luma3DS 7.1. I have done this and confirmed with astronautlevel that it works fine. Any games/updates/saves will need to backed up and restored afterwords. Keep in mind that Luma3DS does not support A9LH anymore and you will no longer receive support or updates for Luma3DS. Of course, the safest option is probably to wait until Retroarch fixes the issue. (And they may have in their latest updates, I'm not sure.)

For what it's worth: My experience with PCSX-ReARMed for 3DS has been pretty extensive. I've gotten a lot of games to play fine (~50-60 fps), and a lot more to play tolerably (~30-45 FPS). In all cases, audio must be disabled in RA settings for any game to load properly. Also, BIOS is important. Use a clean BIOS file (preferably SCPH-1001!) you know is good. (Meaning MD5/SHA1 hashes match the official!!!) Other than that, there isn't much else you can do. Not all games are going to play (Final Fantasy games are especially horrible), and those that do are going to suffer badly. You are much better off emulating on any other handheld, including any Android device. (For real, I have an old LG Optimus that runs Android 3.4 and plays PSx almost perfectly on its very tiny screen lol)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice