RetroArch on Wii - Most MAME ROMs aren't working?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by gamingsincethe80s, Mar 12, 2016.

1. gamingsincethe80s
    OP

gamingsincethe80s Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2016
    Canada
    Hi all, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with RetroArch on Wii - the vast majority of my MAME ROMs aren't working (even ones that work fine on MAMEWii).

I start RetroArch with a fresh install and default config and choose "Load Core" and then I choose "Arcade (FB Alpha)". I understand there is also "CPS-1" and "CPS-2" for Capcom games but it doesn't matter as I get the same result no matter which core I choose. I have also tried the "Select File and Detect Core" as well as "Select Downloaded File and Detect Core" options but I get the same result.

After loading the core I go to "Load Content" and then "Select File" and navigate to my ROMs folder. All the ROM zips are displayed fine.

When I choose a ROM, the vast majority cause RetroArch to simply reboot to the Homebrew screen. A handful of them did work (e.g. Atari Tetris, Contra, Donkey Kong) but the vast majority just show a black screen for a couple of seconds and then take me back to Homebrew (e.g. berzerk, burning rubber, centipede) . I can't believe that all of those ROMs aren't compatible so I must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

BTW - I am using the latest stable build of RetroArch (1.3.0).

2. soniccomcisbr

soniccomcisbr GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    First, remember that Mame2000 roms are not the "normal MAME" roms.You need to use Mame 037b11 Roms for it. (tip: "Love roms" on google).
    Here some useful links.

MAME 2000 ver. 1.0.2 - https://mega.nz/#!05NSWAYR!d5lNabGd4Ep9jzF3BNSPU8-b1w7gobzmGAYmgSCVPmo
    Mame 078 (or 2003) ver 1.2.2 - https://gbatemp.net/threads/question-about-mame-etc-and-240p.397200/#post-5721502
    Mame Extra to run only 3 games (Runs Edward Randy, Robocop 2 and Wrestlefest) - https://anonfiles.com/file/a920e4ee4bc04358dda7c9e5230c7474

IMPORTANT! When you use a 1.0.2 core and back to one 1.2.2 or 1.3.0 your control configuration will become crazy, so, you have to delete your .cfg, or save a backup from your .cfg files first, before try the 1.0.2 cores.

Now I will post images from the folders that I'm using in every arcade emulator for wii. If they not run for you, something is wrong with your roms or your retroarch files.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by soniccomcisbr, Mar 12, 2016
  3. gamingsincethe80s
    OP

gamingsincethe80s Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2016
    Canada
    Many thanks Sonic - I had no idea about the different types of ROMs. I downloaded my ROMs more than a decade ago so I wouldn't be surprised if they are the wrong type.

And thanks for the screenshots - I'm going to redownload and organize my ROMs in the same way.

4. soniccomcisbr

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Just remember that 037b11 roms are only for mame2000. For the others, use normal mame roms.

5. mugli

mugli Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2016
    Swaziland
    Thanks a lot, Sonic! This was extremly helpful!

Before reading your instructions, it was very confusing to handle the different cores.
    Putting the games in folders indicating the corresponding emulators is the only way to go.

Is there a compatibility list / wiki / core collection for wii mame emulation? All the information appears to be scattered around.
    So far, your answer was the best source of information I found.

6. soniccomcisbr

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Well many things change since Mame 2000 was updated.

7. Linkuei

Linkuei Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2016
    Argentina
    Just use mame 2000 core+any Rom from the Mame 037b11 romset= be happy!

8. soniccomcisbr

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Im not using the ones with deformed graphics

9. tallpr24

tallpr24 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    any idea how to get the mame in wiiflow to read the roms off my usb hard drive? im trying to edit the .ini file but dont know the correct syntax to chang the path to usb

10. vEN2

vEN2 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2016
    Afghanistan
    hello everyone. so, can somebody compile\find mame2000 core for Retroarch 0.9.9 ? ANy retroarch from 1.0 and newer works with insane controls (no way to configure it) and no way to save any settings. But 0.9.9 works VERY nice for me

MAME Core for 1.0.0.2 works like i said before.. unable configure controls and save any settings

Last edited by vEN2, Jan 21, 2017
  11. beerbarian

beerbarian Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2017
    I know this might be an aged thread but it ranks high on Google search for a compatibility list for MAME 2000 core for RA Wii.
    Here's a sheet I did for it - it's good for the 1.4 and 1.5 releases.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y8RbIV_7w1jUZGhbeaHokRNi3-r80Fw8pLoUqJdrLKw/
    As observed by myself and others, a lot of games have a graphics garble problem, but there's still loads that work great.
    I've documented what I could find where there is an overlap with FBA, and a recommendation for what you should use
    As a general rule I think MAME 2000 is best for golden age games, including some great and unusual mid to late 80's Atari games, and FBA best for mostly late 80's thru 90's.
    An added complexity: RetroArch 1.4.x and 1.5.x on Wii right now have an audio problem with the CPS2 and Neo Geo cores.
    So... if you want the normal audio for those... you'll have to use 1.3.6 release (or earlier)... which doesn't have the MAME core included.
    Until they fix the audio bug, I tend to swap between versions using custom paths on SD:
    sd:/apps/retroarch-wii-1.3.6
    sd:/apps/retroarch-wii-1.5.0
    and I edit the app icon to watermark the version onto it so make it easy to spot on the HB channel.
    You'll have to wipe the config files each time you switch to a different release.
    I also find it best to sort out the roms from their parent romsets (FBA 0.2.97 and MAME 0.37b5) into dirs for loading by varying cores
    sd:/retroarch/roms/FBA-CPS1
    sd:/retroarch/roms/FBA-CPS2
    sd:/retroarch/roms/FBA-NeoGeo
    sd:/retroarch/roms/FBA-bigcore
    sd:/retroarch/roms/MAME0.37b5
    sd:/retroarch/roms/MAME0.37b5/samples <= put your samples zips here, works great

By the way, if you want the compatibility list for FBA for RA Wii, here it is:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18wYfqmi01HpPBlMnCclVfIhDfVW-SeN6mEdpYSK9VjQ

cvskid likes this.
  12. beerbarian

beerbarian Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2017
    OK so after more digging through posts I found that some unofficial MAME builds were built and shared out:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-unofficial-extra-cores.405410/page-3#post-5874339
    So I just dropped the MAME 2000 / 0.37b5 core into the matching 1.3.3 official release and works great.
    This gives great stability across both FBA and MAME.... think I'll be sticking with this for some time :)
    Haven't had much luck getting the MAME 2003/0.78 working.

Last edited by beerbarian, Apr 25, 2017
    cvskid likes this.
  13. soniccomcisbr

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Yeah, mame 2003 have a small compatibilty and the roms are hard to find, but you can play some rare games like Buck O Hare and Cowboys of Moomeesa.

beerbarian likes this.
  14. beerbarian

beerbarian Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2017
    Actually it seems most of these rom sets are on archive.org now.
    But agreed ... compatibility is low and it's a large dol when compiled, as has been mentioned, and so leaves little free space on the scarce Wii RAM for game rom code.
    mame 0.37b5 is much more compact of course, but unfortunately has that graphics garble issue on Wii for many games.
    Really intrigues me where that graphics bug could be... I've been try to cross compare hardware sets during rom testing to see if any obvious trends pop out that could lead to driver code issues.
    An interesting example: Sky Kid and Sky Kid Deluxe.
    As far as original board hardware goes, same CPUs in each; Sky Kid has 1 x M6809 and 1 x HD63701 whereas Sky Kid Deluxe has 2 x M6809 and 1 x HD63701.
    Sky Kid is fine but deluxe version has garble. Deluxe has additional YM sound chip of course.
    Just theorising... the boardset driver source is listed per game on the test sheet if it helps anyone who still might be building that core.

Last edited by beerbarian, Apr 26, 2017