Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rarely see people talking about the SNES emulators' performance. How are they compared to the New 3DS? I've seen a couple vids on Youtube but can't say I was very impressed, sound in particular was pretty choppy.

not sure if you are talking vc or homebrew emulators but vc runs almost perfect with some slowdowns here and there but it is 100% accurate but problems are they dim it to all hell and it can't be stretched to the full screen so I prefer using snes2005 on vita

garache

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
not sure if you are talking vc or homebrew emulators but vc runs almost perfect with some slowdowns here and there but it is 100% accurate but problems are they dim it to all hell and it can't be stretched to the full screen so I prefer using snes2005 on vita

The image quality is also top tier in the Vita. Specially on 2D titles that look gorgeous.

No, dynarec is already fully supported by HEHkaku. It's just that nobody seems to know how to implement it in their homebrew yet.

mGBA's lack of dynarec is different - mGBA itself doesn't feature dynarec yet, it's nothing to do with the Vita side.

Oh, i thought figuring out the final stage would help out in that department. Guess ill wait :P

Bitbyte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Talking about the homebrew emulators (Retroarch) on Vita. I know SNES VC on 3DS is great (SNES VC is not dimmed btw) so I was wondering how the Vita compares. In this video for example, it's pretty apparent how choppy the audio is: . One game in particular that doesn't run very smooth on the New 3DS SNES emulators is Star Ocean. Is there anything on Vita that can run that game well?

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Talking about the homebrew emulators (Retroarch) on Vita. I know SNES VC on 3DS is great (SNES VC is not dimmed btw) so I was wondering how the Vita compares. In this video for example, it's pretty apparent how choppy the audio is: . One game in particular that doesn't run very smooth on the New 3DS SNES emulators is Star Ocean. Is there anything on Vita that can run that game well?

I meant homebrew or vc on 3ds but yeah it is dimmed as hell I have link to the past on my new 3ds xl don't trust a video it won't duplicate the screen...as for the video it depends on what emulator you use snes2005 plays all my snes games perfectly including link to the past but if you use snes2010 you sacrifice performance for accuracy

Last edited by deathblade200,

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's probably worth changing the hotkeys in the Input menu because I personally find the default button combination really fiddly. I personally use L+R+Down+Square.

It's a nightmare on the OLED Vita and the Dual Shock 4 in particular. Tiny, recessed buttons are not a gamer's friend.

Bitbyte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I meant homebrew or vc on 3ds but yeah it is dimmed as hell I have link to the past on my new 3ds xl don't trust a video it won't duplicate the screen...as for the video it depends on what emulator you use snes2005 plays all my snes games perfectly including link to the past but if you use snes2010 you sacrifice performance for accuacy
Hmm yes, it's quite possible that they are using the Snes9x 2010 core in most of those Youtube videos. So has anyone tried Star Ocean?

Heimdallr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm yes, it's quite possible that they are using the Snes9x 2010 core in most of those Youtube videos. So has anyone tried Star Ocean?

I've tried playing it on both the N3DS and VITA, on CatSFC and snes9x2005 respectively. It runs a lot better on the VITA.

IpsoFact0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
anyone have black screens after setting menu driver to xmb? ive tried to uninstall and reinstall and still black screen? where is the data for retroarch stored?

also anyone noticed longer install and uninstall times then before? any it keeps asking me for permissions

Last edited by IpsoFact0,

mindglitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone have black screens after setting menu driver to xmb? ive tried to uninstall and reinstall and still black screen? where is the data for retroarch stored?

also anyone noticed longer install and uninstall times then before? any it keeps asking me for permissions

after setting the xmb menu, you might have to delete the previous config file. open molecular shell and navigate to ux0>data>retroarch and delete the config.cfg file. then go back to retroarch and it should be using xmb style menu.

i have also noticed the longer install times. i think it started happening when they introduced the xmb menu option. also takes a bit longer to uninstall them.

the permissions is a new feature in henkaku for developers. everything available right now will come up as not safe until the devs update their brew. you can read about the changes regarding that on yifan lu's website and maybe the henkaku website.

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Is it just me or does anyone else also feel that the FBA core icons look really cryptic with only the coloring indicating which hardware they are (Blue=CPS1, Yellow=CPS2, Grey=MVS, Green=FBA)?

Well anyways I modified those icons myself and added text to them so it's easier to tell:

Preview:
Z6i9RD5.png
s3FaUgM.png
KCvR3JI.png
9Q1TOrd.png

Just add them to the respective emulator folders in ur0:/appmeta/ and restart your PS Vita/TV.
@sj33: Feel free to add these to your icon pack if you want.

Attachments

• FBA_Icons.zip
    11.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited by hiroakihsu,

mindglitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just me or does anyone else also feel that the FBA core icons look really cryptic with only the coloring indicating which hardware they are (Blue=CPS1, Yellow=CPS2, Grey=MVS)?

Well anyways I modified those icons myself and added text to them so it's easier to tell:

Preview:
Z6i9RD5.png
s3FaUgM.png
KCvR3JI.png

Just add them to the respective emulator folders in ur0:/appmeta/

i like what you did here by adding the names. there is also a variation of these that is colored a shade green. you can find it on melon_bread's github https://github.com/Melon-Bread/RetroArch_Icons_Vita/tree/master/cores

maybe keep the black one for mvs/neo geo. then what i did on my vita is cps1&2 are yellow. mame 2000&2003 are blue, fba&fba2012 are green. probably keep the related ones the same color and add the names to them like you did here.

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Reactions: mindglitch

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Is it just me or does anyone else also feel that the FBA core icons look really cryptic with only the coloring indicating which hardware they are (Blue=CPS1, Yellow=CPS2, Grey=MVS, Green=FBA)?

Preview:
Z6i9RD5.png
s3FaUgM.png
KCvR3JI.png
9Q1TOrd.png

Just add them to the respective emulator folders in ur0:/appmeta/ and restart your PS Vita/TV.
Brilliant! That's much more clear! I'll add them to the pack!

EDIT - Here we go https://mega.nz/#!oZxhTKZZ!_GY9xdW16UreW-0bAizuXwm6UmbB95iW_LMf1M_Lkxo

Last edited by sj33,

redeyes7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a question is there a way to change the controls for the alpha neo geo emulator because when I go to quick menu the controls option is missing only for this emulator.

IpsoFact0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
after setting the xmb menu, you might have to delete the previous config file. open molecular shell and navigate to ux0>data>retroarch and delete the config.cfg file. then go back to retroarch and it should be using xmb style menu.

i have also noticed the longer install times. i think it started happening when they introduced the xmb menu option. also takes a bit longer to uninstall them.

the permissions is a new feature in henkaku for developers. everything available right now will come up as not safe until the devs update their brew. you can read about the changes regarding that on yifan lu's website and maybe the henkaku website.
thanks!! did the trick

AtwoZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if Retroarch will support touch screen keys in the future, like tapping on the left side of the screen will bring up the menu for example. Having a touch button that bind with any inputs is very useful and I did this with emulator on VHBL, where the 4 corners of the screen can be assigned with any PSP layout button.

Reactions: VincentBeasley

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.