Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
This has been a problem for years and none of the Retroarch devs seem interested in fixing it. I think there are some third party tools you can use to build playlists but I personally just use the browse files option to load pc engine cd games.

Yep I guess just use the file browser. Pants as its a simple fix.

Cuthbert32

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Sorry, two noob RetroArch questions :rolleyes: (did a search and couldn't spot an answer)

1) Whats the difference between the getting the Retroarch Assets via bundle.zip and RetroArch_data.7z ? Although the instructions ( ) say both methods are the same, there's a big difference in size of the two files and the subfolders in both are different.

2) When a new stable version of the RetroArch vpk is released, there's no need to update the assets, right?

Chas_Hodges

Trophies
Website
ourthreecents.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I imagine this is pretty low priority for most people, but does anyone have a working version of the Virtual Boy core for Vita Retroarch. I don't think it's been able to boot in the few years I've been using the Vita port, but it still listed in the opening post in this thread as working.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
- up to date SDK (buildbot from libretro is not updated often)
- fbalpha is based on last 0.2.97.43 version with minor CPS3 optimisation
everything else up to date

Lately I don't feel regression for UI and Cores so I keep them updated

EDIT : removed because OP complained
You should create a new thread for your builds, so we can discuss about it. I couldn't grab the file.

Has anyone imported content for PC Engine CD games?
I've tried and it goes through the motion but nothing comes up in the playlist section
Last i tried, CD audio in games causes a terrible buzz sound. It has been like that on some platforms since many years ago.

Last edited by niuus,

rioray

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I imagine this is pretty low priority for most people, but does anyone have a working version of the Virtual Boy core for Vita Retroarch. I don't think it's been able to boot in the few years I've been using the Vita port, but it still listed in the opening post in this thread as working.

it's easily fixable,
just need to replace surface->pixels by surface->pixels16 at Line 918
https://github.com/libretro/beetle-vb-libretro/blob/master/mednafen/vb/vip.cpp#L918
https://github.com/libretro/beetle-vb-libretro/issues/51

BTW this core is very slow on VITA above 20 fps....

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You should create a new thread for your builds, so we can discuss about it. I couldn't grab the file.
Having competing threads wouldn't help any more than it would just add more confusion for users. I don't think that's particularly worth it for the difference of a single core...

Checked latest nightly and last stable, works fine. :shrug:
Still slow as hell, though, even with 'fast' CPU emulation.

And to answer the following...
Sorry, two noob RetroArch questions :rolleyes: (did a search and couldn't spot an answer)

1) Whats the difference between the getting the Retroarch Assets via bundle.zip and RetroArch_data.7z ? Although the instructions ( ) say both methods are the same, there's a big difference in size of the two files and the subfolders in both are different.
What bundle.zip? The buildbot only has the .vpk package, and the corresponding data files.
Otherwise, the OP stands true.
2) When a new stable version of the RetroArch vpk is released, there's no need to update the assets, right?
Unless Libretro suggests to update assets, or you notice a substantial size difference in the data package, there's no need to keep assets updated.

In other news, other than being able to confirm that Hatari works (which I think is fullspeed? It turns out what few floppy images I have are a bust...), the NeoCD core has been added. Be sure to transfer over a dedicated BIOS folder for this one.
Unfortunately, while it does work as intended, the performance is just out of reach enough in games to be annoying, as it yet again thrashes pretty hard against just one of the available CPU cores. Even with an overclock, Crossed Swords II will be averaging ~50fps.

Where does Dynarec stand for the Vita cores right now?
What dynarec? That's up to core developers.
AFAIK, no cores available right now, aside from (I guess?) the higher end Mednafen stuff lack any necessary changes to their implementations, or a dynarec to implement in the first place. It's a standard ARM chipset, which most - if not all - cores that can, utilize some implementation already.

What you see, is what you get.

rioray

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Having competing threads wouldn't help any more than it would just add more confusion for users. I don't think that's particularly worth it for the difference of a single core...

Checked latest nightly and last stable, works fine. :shrug:
Still slow as hell, though, even with 'fast' CPU emulation.

Hum, are you sure ? stable working ?
only latest nightly should work (as the fix commit was only merged yesterday).

Cuthbert32

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
And to answer the following...

What bundle.zip? The buildbot only has the .vpk package, and the corresponding data files.
Otherwise, the OP stands true.

Apologies, I probably didn't explain myself clearly. Taken from the Libretro documentation (I can't share links but its from - libretro.readthedocs.io/en/latest/guides/install-psv/), it states you can get your assets that you upload (after you've installed the vpk) from either bundle.zip or RetroArch_data.7z

From now on, there are two ways to download our assets. This option will affect your setup method. We're going use the bundle.zip this time. [As opposed to RetroArch_data.7z]

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Apologies, I probably didn't explain myself clearly. Taken from the Libretro documentation (I can't share links but its from - libretro.readthedocs.io/en/latest/guides/install-psv/), it states you can get your assets that you upload (after you've installed the vpk) from either bundle.zip or RetroArch_data.7z

...God fucking dammit Libretro--
Oh. Oh. I see.

Okay so, I'm not sure when or why they decided to break protocol, but, the bundle zip is just the main data assets with overlays and shaders added. But it also assumes you have the data folder in place anyhow, which kind of defeats the purpose.
I'd say, just use the normal data package; the Vita screen is just small enough to de-incentivize using overlays, and it's not even capable of using shaders atm until the vitaGL implementation is completed and not broken to bits.

Reactions: Cuthbert32

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Would ya lookit that, a PS Vita Libretro update that's actually posted on-time with its release! With all the recent developments elsewhere in the Vita brew landscape, and having finally gotten around to fixing up my own personal system, I couldn't help myself.
Unfortunately, the Vita-specific updates are pretty much non-existent this time around. This stable release now incorporates the aforementioned Hatari core officially, and - strangely - the SVN release of DOSBox is now included, of all things (which has more fixes compared to its point-release sibling, and additions such as soft-3D acceleration which would be too slow to run on Vita anyhow). The frontend has received some slight I/O efficiency improvements, at least, which makes exiting/switching cores that little bit extra faster. No word yet on GL support.

As usual, you can read the associated Libretro roundup here.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been enjoying the games I can find that use Joystick Port 1 on Hatari. This core feels cycle-accurate with speed and slowdowns feeling exactly as I remember them, whereas the amiga versions of some of these games can be a little wonky on speed on Uae4All2. Plus there's no substitute for those Yamaha chiptunes. So kudos to all the work members have done porting it. Maybe I will even try to figure out how to get Joy 0 working someday.

Really hoping we get enough GL support that we can use the sharp-bilinear shaders soonish. A bit annoying having to flip normal2x video filter on and off depending on core / performance and its not as sharp for low-resolution handheld systems.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I will even try to figure out how to get Joy 0 working someday.
Don't micros always use the second port for joysticks? That's how it works on Commodore.

I just don't think there's enough enthusiasm going around for 3D hardware accel on Vita, which is concerning. The GL plugin has been WIP for, what, a couple Stable cycles now?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the ST mouse was always the first port but it could also support joystick. More games than you'd think want to use that first port. Extra fun if you had the model that stuck the ports underneath the computer.

rioray

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Lol i was not believe it could just works, but now have to take/find time to works on it...
kzjm1xg.jpg

LldOUy8.png
0XspSOk.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉