RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by SeongGino, Aug 5, 2016.

1. rez78

rez78 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2017
    Italy
    Someone have tried fba core in 1.7.7 release?Neo geo roms don't work for me! Any suggestions?

Last edited by rez78, May 14, 2019
    zerofalcon likes this.
  2. rsn8887

rsn8887 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    You can go to settings->drivers and set menu driver to XMB to get that look back.

3. AkitoUF

AkitoUF GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    Chile
    Any tips for improving FBA's performance? When I play games like Street Fighter Alpha 2 or Marvel vs. Capcom I usually drop to 50fps. I'm sure the my Vita used to run these at 60.
    Also, games like Captain Commando give me crashes no matter which version I use. Any tips on this?

4. Imhullu

Imhullu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2012
    United States
    Just as a refresher, how can I update Retroarch without losing my saves, settings, and games?

5. ArugulaZ

ArugulaZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    See, I do have it set to XMB, but I only have the blue screen... not the wave or the font or the icons. It's functionally the same, but visually it's incomplete. What am I doing wrong?

6. rsn8887

rsn8887 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    Mine looks like this after updating to latest nightly via VitaHBB:
    [​IMG]

7. ArugulaZ

ArugulaZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    I'll try grabbing it from there; we'll see what happens. Thanks.

Edit: Deleting the config file in VitaShell and restarting seemed to do the trick. Boy, that was annoying.

Last edited by ArugulaZ, May 16, 2019
  8. FmT

FmT Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    Japan
    To update fast retroarch application and keep everything else untouched (game save settings) you just need to open vpk as a zip. You copy these files in ux0:/app/retrovita folder on your vita overwriting them. No need to delete bubble and install vpk.
    For data files it's a different package and need to be put on ux0:/data/retroarch

As for the problem with new install of retroarch, font is not configured by default and need to be set in User Interface -> Appearance -> Menu Font ux0:/data/retroarch/assets/glui/font.ttf wich is in the data package

For FBA in retroarch, core is based on 0.2.97.44 https://github.com/libretro/fbalpha/tree/master/dats
    so fix for accuracy may cause performance down (cps3)

cvskid likes this.
  9. WooHyun

WooHyun GBAtemp Regular

Jul 4, 2015
    Has anyone been using normal2x filter that was added since 1.7.6? I'm not quite successful with it as some cores seem to hate it. VBA-next refuses to load any content at all with filter enabled and all versions of Snes9x randomly freezes (the whole RA app) during gameplay.

Has anyone been able to play GBA/SNES with normal2x filter enabled for extended period of time?

Edit: I've tried different versions - 1.7.6 stable, 1.7.7 stable and latest nightly - but there was no difference.

Last edited by WooHyun, May 19, 2019
    swosho likes this.
  10. FmT

FmT Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    Japan
    On the filter side, all those I tried was too ressource angry and make the games unplayable/slower/crash. It depends on the core used, so maybe its better to play with core options. Also disable bilinear filter in video setting if it wasn't. I feel standalone emulators are better for filters (pfba have decent filters)

Edit : removed custom build link because updated

Last edited by FmT, May 26, 2019
    MKKhanzo likes this.
  11. WooHyun

WooHyun GBAtemp Regular

Jul 4, 2015
    Yes. I'll stick to playing with no filters and bilinear disabled for now... I wish there was psnes built with older Snes9x version. Pemus' filters work amazing, but psnes is too heavy for vita.

12. rez78

rez78 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2017
    Italy
    Error when try to open link

13. AkitoUF

AkitoUF GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    Chile
    I think I found the reason FBA ran so bad on my Vita and so well in everyone else's.
    The VSH caused slowdown. I deleted it from my config.txt of my Tai folder and now all CPS1 and 2 games run perfectly.

MKKhanzo likes this.
  14. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    Try the "dot.glsl" shader. Not such a demanding filter and looks alright.

15. Imhullu

Imhullu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2012
    United States
    Nice. I appreciate it. Now I have another question. Can I use both analog stick as normal with Retroarch, or is that only possible through Adrenaline?

16. Carlanga

Carlanga Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2016
    United States
    Hi guys, I have not touched my emulators cores/etc on my 3.60 vita since mid 2017 nightlies and just updated to the latest stable build, but will probably update it to the latest nightly again.
    I want to know where we are standing on the arcade vita emulation as of today and don't know if the first post is up to date on the specifics.
    1) lolicon gets you better performance on ra or should i leave it at default?
    2) Mame 2000 the best core and best set for full playability for MAME?
    3) FBA is better than mame by fps on RA? what is the best fb core to run? best set is V0.2.97.30? should I use PFBA instead?
    4) Stuff like arcade TMNT turtles in time and Simpsons has improved in a specific core?

Thanks! :)

17. FmT

FmT Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    Japan
    1) lolicon will give you better fps when overclocking cpu only. gpu is not needed for any emulator on vita as for now. Depends on glvita is supported on not, only some homebrew games may support it. Don't expect a big performance up as retroarch is already overclocking a little, so depends on games may be usefull to cap some games at 60fps or remove some frameskip.

2) Mame 2000 was the better core, until mame 2003 plus. Romset is not that different from mame 2003 but support more games, performance and bug fix. It's still an active project : https://github.com/libretro/mame2003-plus-libretro

3) FBA is better for some games (cpsX neogeo some shoot'them up ....) as mame is better for classic games (arkanoid rtype ... )
    For fba core on RA, you have :
    -2012 (0.2.97.30)
    -2018 (0.2.97.43)
    -fbalpha (0.2.97.44)
    -fbneo (0.2.97.44)

2012 and 2018 are the latest version on said romset and not improved anymore.
    fbalpha is stopped for fbneo since a few days ago. So fbalpha is now a snapshot of 0.2.97.44 and daily improvements goes to fbneo.
    Performance wise, 2012 and 2018 seems to be the best, unless you want an unsupported game or an accuracy fix.
    Latest version of pfba support 0.2.97.43, same as fbalpha2018. So you can use same romset for both. Pfba have better filters/user friendly(maybe depends on taste) but frame skipping is buggy on some games (makes your control crazy makes the game unplayable) where fb2018 frame skip is better. So pfba and RA fba2018 core are kind of equal and can have both without worring for space.
    Still RA mame core is needed for classic games, prolly because of sound. If you disable sound on fba/pfba or lowering sample rate, it's playing fine)

4) Try mame 2003-plus , TMNT works fine with analog stick by default

Default mapping is left analog or d-pad for movement, right analog is not used by default so may be mapped for some custom key (load save snap hello)

Last edited by FmT, May 27, 2019
  18. FmT

FmT Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    Japan
    Last edited by FmT, May 26, 2019
  19. Carlanga

Carlanga Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2016
    United States
    Thanks a lot FmT! This was the answer I was looking for before adjusting my configs to load them on the vita for individual overlays/playlists/different sets of games etc, I'm revamping my retroarch since I culled a ton of crap from the full sets. I tested the bezel project overlays on my old mame games yesterday and they worked perfectly on the vita so now I'm going to start preparing the new culled files for a full uplift!

20. SeongGino
    OP

SeongGino The Average One

May 20, 2015
    United States
    Jersey, Jersey
    Your bi-annual update here:

• Thread updated to reflect 1.7.7 Stable's release (title, links, etc.).
    • Cores list updated to reflect new selection of cores, and remove now-unavailable cores (vicexxx is now simply vice_x64).
    • Cores list formatting more clearly distinguishes systems compatible
    Seeing how fresh(ly unofficial) FBNeo's inclusion is for this port, I won't add it just yet until the next stable comes around and its included in everyone's install-able file. I also wouldn't recommend using it due to performance concerns considering Vita's hardware and how it already handles the currently available FBAlpha cores.
    I'll also be dropping the BIOS list and recommend everyone read up the official documentation for Libretro, as it's updated on its own terms and is more accurate to what's needed and why, for hopefully obvious reasons.

MKKhanzo, FmT and AkitoUF like this.
  21. AkitoUF

AkitoUF GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    Chile
    Is it possible to assign macros for CPS2 fighting games?
    Pressing Square + Triangle and L is kinda imprecise for games like that in a portable, I'd be fine with assigning the three punches to the right analog for example.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted