Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

juancava

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
With latest Retroarch, I'm playing PCengine CD or PSX on SD2Vita from imc0 with no problems. Maybe they fixed it or mount point is important.

For the 21-12 nightly, you can download this one :
https://1fichier.com/?dmie6y182rqyavz1q9db
You can rename .zip into .vpk to install from vitashell if you want.

I have this one saved since I'm compiling my own retroarch with supergrafx core and a seperate fba2018 core, with cps3 fix to be playable with frameskip (for 0.2.97.43 romset) since current fba is now using 0.2.97.44 romset.
Have you compiled new versions of retroarch using vita fixes?

thank you very much!

juancava

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I ran this line in a bat file to dump the current dosbox config from retroarch: "config -wcp ux0:/data/dosbox.conf" This writes the current dosbox.conf to your memory card in the data folder. From there I FTP'd the dosbox.conf to my PC and then edited the file. Make sure these lines are set as follows: "core=normal" and "cputype=auto". Then remove lines for cycleup and cycledown. Also make sure to set "scaler=none" The reason for this is you have to set core type to normal or simple as it will try to set to dynamic which will fail with c2-12828-1 error on launch every time. With scaling on graphics will be much slower. Then you can set lines in autoexec section to launch specific game.

However once game is launched you will need to go to retroarch options and manually set cycles and GPU (vga or S3), you will also need to go to controls and options to define controls and set controller type to mapper. If you set the right analog as mouse axis, the Y axis will be inverted.
IF you want to change this you will want to launch a program to invert the y axis on the mouse before game is run. Here is an example:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
mount c ux0:/data/dosbox/
c:
cd ctm21b4x/inverted
ctmouseY.exe
cd ../..
cd raptor
rap.exe

Make sure when you are done playing the game, to go to retroarch menu and use exit/close content then close retroarch. This should save keymap files etc if saved previously and load them next time you play the same game. You will want to enable unknown extensions in the load content settings to see the conf files in the data or any other directory.

Google this to find a link for cute mouse on vogons forum: "ctm21b4x.zip ctmouse v2.1b4 with inverted axis".

I have uploaded my dosbox.conf as dosbox.txt. I did download midi control files to retroarch's system folder to enable midi and my configuration reflects this.

I have been able to launch abuse, another world, raptor call of the shadows, settlers2 and zone66 using this method. Raptor plays quickly with music and sound at 2000 or 300 cycles.

So far the c2-12828-1 error only occurs if there is something wrong in the configuration file and does not indicate that the emulator can not play or handle the software you are trying to launch..

If anyone wants me to try running a specific game or if they are having issues feel free to ask here and I will do what I can to assist.

How do you map the mouse buttons to vita buttons? I've been trying to play some dos games and, when I select mouse+keyboard as player 1 input (mapper not available) I can configure keyboard keys, but I don't know how to click with the mouse...
Thank you very much!

Yanazake

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Just making sure, but the retroarch vita version does not support manual addition or removal of cores, is that right? or are they in a different format so they need to be built/compiled differently so the vita can use?

Either way, I'm only recently messing with a lot of things emulation-related, ranging from retropie, to retroarch both on pc and vita. for whatever reason, I believed the vita would be stronger than the rasPi3B+, but it seems that's not the case.

anon420ftw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just making sure, but the retroarch vita version does not support manual addition or removal of cores, is that right? or are they in a different format so they need to be built/compiled differently so the vita can use?

Either way, I'm only recently messing with a lot of things emulation-related, ranging from retropie, to retroarch both on pc and vita. for whatever reason, I believed the vita would be stronger than the rasPi3B+, but it seems that's not the case.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but what cores specifically did you want to add and what are you attempting to emulate? 8-Bit and 16-Bit systems are going to work pretty well, and if you wanted to "emulate" PSP or PSX games you wouldn't use RetroArch. There are other stand-alone emulators that may work better in your situation.

It also shouldn't be much of a surprise that an RPi3b+ would run better, as you are comparing a 32-bit processor with 512MB of RAM to a 64-bit processor with 1GB of RAM.

(side note: why is this thread not stickied? Am I mistaken by thinking that a large number of people modify their Vita's in order to play retro games?)

FmT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You need to build the cores individually, then build retroarch with the cores you already built. If the question is can I add core just by copy the core on a working retroarch : simple answer is NO to build retroarch easy you can look at libretro super https://github.com/libretro/libretro-super

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
The bluetooth keyboard and mouse patches will be included in Vita Buildbot versions dated March 24 or later (March 23 version is still a few commits behind). I think Vitadb might also always be a day behind.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The bluetooth keyboard and mouse patches will be included in Vita Buildbot versions dated March 24 or later (March 23 version is still a few commits behind). I think Vitadb might also always be a day behind.
Thanks for the info.
Yes Fuse has a good OSK but using an external BT one would be cool.
I’ll try it out soon.
Thanks again for all your great work toward the scene - really appreciated.

Skynetz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason, some MAME games (Pac Man, Galaga) start with the screen rotated, I tried making a game config for each title but it doesn't seem to work.

games_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I know this doesn't really answer your question, but what cores specifically did you want to add and what are you attempting to emulate? 8-Bit and 16-Bit systems are going to work pretty well, and if you wanted to "emulate" PSP or PSX games you wouldn't use RetroArch. There are other stand-alone emulators that may work better in your situation.

It also shouldn't be much of a surprise that an RPi3b+ would run better, as you are comparing a 32-bit processor with 512MB of RAM to a 64-bit processor with 1GB of RAM.

(side note: why is this thread not stickied? Am I mistaken by thinking that a large number of people modify their Vita's in order to play retro games?)
There are some games that need POPs that wont work natively, like Dragon Quest 7. With lolicon and pcsx rearmed I played through the first hour or so and it was full speed 98% of the time, that's zoomed out in towns, the entirety of the first dungeon, the overworld and battle screens.
Ace Escape runs at 40-50fps which is another game that doesn't work natively (at least to my knowlege). Not playable but still cool.

setsunafseiei885

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
For some reason, some MAME games (Pac Man, Galaga) start with the screen rotated, I tried making a game config for each title but it doesn't seem to work.

You mean like this?
FB-IMG-1554335247683.jpg

FB-IMG-1554335239834.jpg

I just change the videos rotation on settings.

Last edited by setsunafseiei885,
Reactions: Skynetz

EL_London

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ALL

so im new to GBATemp, I wanted to know if anyone has used Dosbox on PSvita to emulate an old PC racing game Geoff Crammonds F1 Gran Prix 2 at all or even F1GP 1.
I have this on CD, is there a Dosbox tutoria that someone can show me so I can give this a go, Im running CFM 3.67 h-encore with a SD2vita. Should I use retroarch?

Bravestarr

Trophies
Website
marc.tv
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,

I have a problem with RetroArch 1.7.7 and 1.7.3 on my PS VITA 3.60 enso. I put all roms in UX0:data/rom/gba, UX0:data/rom/snes Then I try to scan the folder (see screenshot) but nothing happens. I tried to scan each subfolder (snes, gba) on its own. I know that once I had a version of retroarch on my vita that could after scanning list each system with the name of the rom. Now I have to select each rom by "load content" and select the file. What am I doing wrong or what do I miss? I tried to use the "online updater" and downloaded everything. No chance.

Attachments

• IMG_2017.jpeg
    IMG_2017.jpeg
    910.1 KB · Views: 262

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'm wondering what happened to the PSP-inspired interface this emulator used to use. It feels very plain now, with no icons, no wave in the background, and a simple font. What happened, and how can I get that look back?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos