Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

Mobutu16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nigeria
Open retroarch menu, do not go in to quick menu. (If you are in quick menu then press X and then press right for settings menu)
You should see the options for driver/video/audio/input/core etc. Go down to video and then down to rotation. You can rotate the screen till it is correct.

Rotate option has vanished in 1.7.5 version...

How to correct it?

Last edited by Mobutu16,

FmT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Pretty every nightly since 1.7.5 have this problem. Only rgui is working... and PSTV problem is not fixed.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thankfully I still have 2018-10-02 Build that still works. 2018-10-08 Crashes when you try to run it, and yeah, Current Builds only have the rgui Menu working

zewindsor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everybody,

Do you know if improvements are planned on retroarch cores for Vita ? I think to VBA Next, Picodrive (to play 32x games), BlueMSX for Colecovision,...

Thanx :)

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It looks like the core can be built, but who knows if it will actually work

There's no standard set for hardware acceleration with Vita Libretro, so currently the possibility of this happening is somewhere between shit and fuckall.

Probably with low-accuracy plugins or something, at the best. I'm frankly tired of hearing about N64 everywhere anyways.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no standard set for hardware acceleration with Vita Libretro, so currently the possibility of this happening is somewhere between shit and fuckall.

Probably with low-accuracy plugins or something, at the best. I'm frankly tired of hearing about N64 everywhere anyways.
Well we were only wondering due to both Mupen64 Github Pages having "psp2....". In theory, it could be possible since the Vita has more recent Hardware. The PSP's CPU is from 1991. The Vita has ARM yes, but so do a lot of other Devices like Android. Plus, which hardware would be more to work with - the Vita or the GPD XD?

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Googled "GPD XD Specs" and the first result says that (at least the plus version), has a quad core processor running at 2.1 GHz, while the Vita's is downclocked from 2 GHz to a 500 MHz maximum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPD_XD

GPD XD Specs:
Rockchip RK3288 / ARM Cortex-A17 / 2GB DDR3-SDRAM / ARM Mali-T764 / 1280x720p

Vita Specs:
Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore / 512 MB RAM, 128 MB VRAM / Quad-core PowerVR SGX543MP4+ / 960x544 qHD

potato6666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Hello there, need help here with dosbox. I can run commander keen normally in dosbox in retroarch, but not buttons work, cant navigate menu or select start. Any idea? Tried remmaping keys but i dont have remap option in retroarch option

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello there, need help here with dosbox. I can run commander keen normally in dosbox in retroarch, but not buttons work, cant navigate menu or select start. Any idea? Tried remmaping keys but i dont have remap option in retroarch option

DOSbox core key mapping is under quick menu | Controls
Set 'user 1 device type' to 'keyboard + mouse' in that section then scroll down to map vita buttons to keys.

Reactions: potato6666
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • phalk @ phalk:
    but.... nah
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    No point really.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Even the simplest device these days runs some sort of high level language.
    Gift
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @Veho all the IT stuff i've learned in school has been extremely basic... i knew most of it already
    Gift
    it's better to learn on your own, it goes much faster than the snail pace they teach you at in school
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    assembly is actually great, gets you to run everything about 80% faster than C massaged code
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    assembler syntax is dead easy, but "how to put pieces together" logic requires to have in mind the original idea, and the CPU layout, and that's like double the work of C stuff. It's best to write C first, add some unit tests, then go assembly, then run the unit tests
    Gift
    it can run faster than compiled code, but modern compilers are really good at optimization and you need to be even better at assembly to do a better job
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    with that all your assembler base will actually work
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    even on embedded systems, without a damned debugger
    Gift
    syntax is easy but the code is hard to read, you can't look at a piece of code and expect to understand it without looking at all the code around it to see how it all works together so it takes much longer to read the code, it takes longer to write it too because what might be 1 line of code in C might be 20 lines of assembly
    Gift
    the language is very simple to understand (because it's barely a language at all) understanding how all the instructions work together to form a whole is another matter, in general it's such a pain to work with that i would never recommend it unless you have a need for it. don't listen to this guy and learn assembly just because you want to make your code run faster, you are wasting your time, but if you run into a situation where your code isn't fast enough even after you enabled -Ofast and you NEED it to be faster, then you can consider assembly
    Gift
    @Coto have you tried -Ofast btw? ;)
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have o fast before but I suspect we are talking different Os lol
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    @The Real Jdbye quite idiotic and frankly, bu
    llshit points as usual you make. Not only because you have no idea what you're talking about, but also because there is proof (both i've seen and maintained) in regards to C and hand-written assembler code, and the speed gain is simply over half the framerate.
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    gbaemu4ds's C ARM and THUMB CPU emulator and GBARunner2's ARM and THUMB handcoded assembly. Just run Yoshi's Island GBA and compare it by yourself.
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    or SnemulDS's C CPU Core vs SnemulDS SnezziDS ARM core. The first running at about 45% (half the speed) vs ~105% (full speed)
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    yeah, keep believing -Ofast will make everything faster.
    Gift
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    Must ambulate quickly! ~Sonic (a hedgehog)
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Gotta Go Fast diarrhea makes a horrible sound, blue skin and super sick... Probably food poisoning from bad chili dogs.
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    Huh Betty white was born on mlk day
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    Slim Jim Monster Sonic Chili Cheese Dog Flavor, 1.94 Oz (Pack Of 18) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MC9KVDG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_V2DMVRA3YQPJZF2F4Q95
    Gift
    KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie: Slim Jim Monster Sonic Chili Cheese Dog Flavor, 1.94 Oz (Pack Of 18)...