Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

Deleted member 424658

Annoying Weaboo Girl
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else having a messed up XMB on Stable 1.7.3? Upon installing, the "Electric Blue" background is a darkish purple color.
I copied the assets over, checked multiple TVs, and tried changing the background settings.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Anyone else having a messed up XMB on Stable 1.7.3? Upon installing, the "Electric Blue" background is a darkish purple color.
I copied the assets over, checked multiple TVs, and tried changing the background settings.

1.7.3 looks normal for me, background is normal colour etc. I just installed the VPK and overwrote my existing data folder with the new one from the release page.

MUDD_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Someone has the thumbnails for games already installed for retroarch? It´s possible to share the folder and then I just paste on my retroarch files to set this up? Or it´s needed exactly folder structure/names of files, etc? Thanks!

Deleted member 424658

Annoying Weaboo Girl
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
I've tried latest stable and nightly now, with the same issue.
I've attached screenshots for clarification.
E7xsGyg.png
crK265w.png

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
improvedscreen.jpg

For the Commodore 64 (Vice-64) core, I just figured out how you can improve the palette and screen size. The default palette is too bright, the red looks more like a pink, and many other colors also look wrong.

To fix the palette colors, inside Vice emulator core:
- press Start to open the Nuklear GUI menu.
- press select to enable dpad pointer control (move pointer with dpad, select with circle)
- enable "External palette" by selecting the little square next to it
- select the "pepto-pal" palette from the drop down menu
- select resume
- the colors should now look much better
- sadly, this selection is not saved so it has to be done again whenever you start the core or load new content.

palette_settings.jpg

I also found the video settings to give a larger image. This is done by making the C64 image fit the Vita screen height (ignoring the borders):
Go to video settings
- aspect Ratio = custom
- custom x = -14
- custom y = -95
- custom width = 987
- custom height = 740
- now the game area should fill the height of the screen, and the aspect ratio should still be correct
- it is easy to switch between this zoomed screen and the default. Just change the Aspect ratio option between custom and 4:3.
- this can be saved as a core override config in the quick menu.

Vice-_Settings.jpg

EDIT: Fixed width and x

Last edited by rsn8887,

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
A Playstation 1 game? I'd just try to play it in Adrenaline. The emulation is better. For Retroarch, make sure you have a working .bin and .cue. Test it on PC to make sure it works there.

susanoomon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Playstation 1 game? I'd just try to play it in Adrenaline. The emulation is better. For Retroarch, make sure you have a working .bin and .cue. Test it on PC to make sure it works there.
I don't know how to fix the Asuka inn freeze bug though none of the id changes I've tried have worked....

machjas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, all!

Just modded my Vita over the weekend (3.65, h-encore), and having an issue with Retroarch. I've set up snes, Genesis, master system, 32x, game gear, GB/C/A, TurboGrafx, and maybe one or two others, all work beautifully.

NES, however, I go to load a rom, it hangs for a second, then I get an error C2-12828-1 and crashes Retroarch. It does this with the FCEUmm and NEStopia UE cores, the QuickNES core just crashes the whole system with a GPU driver error and forces a reboot. This is the only core I'm having this trouble with..

I'm currently using RetroArch 7-4-18 nightly, I've tried the most recent stable release as well. I also tried reinstalling the app and deleting the ..\data\retroarch folder and starting fresh, same problem. Only thing I can think of would be that my romset is jacked up, but I'm using the no-intro set (though I removed all non USA/World ROMs). I haven't had any luck elsewhere on Google since this C2-12828-1 error is pretty generic.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

DaveC1964

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see the "just use adreneline" alot. The problem there is that it will scale 320 x 240 to 480 x 272 then scale it again to the vita. The end result is pretty terrible looking. I wonder if there will ever be a decent native Vita PS1 emu or is there no interest?

alexg1989

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a GPD XD for that. The Vita already has a fully functional PS1 emulator. You won't be seeing anyone actually try to make their own and finish it because there's simply no need.

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
I see the "just use adreneline" alot. The problem there is that it will scale 320 x 240 to 480 x 272 then scale it again to the vita. The end result is pretty terrible looking. I wonder if there will ever be a decent native Vita PS1 emu or is there no interest?

No. Have you ever actually played PS1 games in Adrenaline? It seems like you are assuming that PS1 games on the Vita run just like on a PSP and are then scaled just like the PSP games. This is not true at all. PS1 games on the Vita run in 640x480 resolution, not in 320x240 like on a real PSP. This gives 2x scaling for lo-res games but also allows interlace games like Tekken to be displayed at full resolution. Therefore, if you disable bilinear filtering and leave the scaling setting at default, then both PSP and (non-interlaced) PS1 games are displayed in a pixel-perfect 2x scaling on the Vita which looks perfect.

You can also fit the PS1 games to the screen to remove the small black borders on the top and bottom. This is done by adjusting the scaling manually in Adrenaline. This also looks great as long as bilinear filtering is enabled. It just makes the image a little blurry. Scaling factors of 1.135 scale the 640x480 to 725x544 to fit the screen height.

On a real PSP, the options for PS1 games are a little different (different scaling options, no analog controls, etc.) but they can also be played with pixel-perfect resolution or using a fit-to-screen algorithm which also causes minimal blur. However, in contrast to the Vita, the PSP doesn’t have enough lines to display interlace games at full resolution. They still look pretty good though.

If you are talking about the Vita TV, then yes, there are some additional scaling artifacts because the Vita resolution does not fit evenly into 720p. So it is scaled again from 544p to 720p. However I think even on Vita TV the image still looks pretty good. And there are many other solutions to play on the TV anyways.

By the way there is no need for a “decent native PSX emulator” on the Vita because we already have one. It is the PCSX Rearmed core in Retroarch and runs many games in fullspeed already (surprisingly).

EDIT: removed harsh comment.

Last edited by rsn8887,

pralima87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes it works, but the date in Vitadb is not updated, only the files are. The VitaDB file is always identical to yesterday's nightly.

If you want to convince yourself, just download the VitaDB file "retroarch.vpk" and download yesterday's nightly file from http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/vita/ . Then do a diff, e.g. "diff 2018-07-09_RetroArch.vpk retroarch.vpk" An empty output tells you they are identical. If the files were not identical, you would get an output saying "Binary files 2018-07-09_RetroArch.vpk and retroarch.vpk differ"

Last edited by rsn8887,

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
how do I make cheat codes for digimon world 2003? I don't know what format to do the codes in....
It use GameShark codes, file type: CHT. You need to put a "+" instead of space between address and value

Here an example:

cheats = 2

cheat0_desc = "Infinite Lives"
cheat0_code = "80129230+000A"
cheat0_enable = false

cheat1_desc = "Infinite Health"
cheat1_code = "80128FB4+00C8"
cheat1_enable = false

If a cheat have more than 1 line, you must put in same string (not in two different codes)
"address+value+address+value"

example:
"80128FB4+00C8+80129230+000A"

Then put the.CHT file in this path:
retroarch\cheats\PlayStation\GameShark

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night