Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

pralima87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi

There are two new cores added: fmsx and Vice 64.

Can you try them?

Cheers

Mr.frangarcj could you take a look at a serious bug on Vita 1.7.0:
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/6127

Basicly all inputs are taking a while to work after loading a rom.
This happens on multiple cores.
There is also bugs related to network like core updates and achievments not working on 1.7.0.

Last edited by pralima87,

themyst

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone having an issue with the Online Updater not working?

Trying to download all the various options, all fail. Version 1.6.9

kevinbrew

Trophies
XP
Country
Get the Updated VPK and Data from the Build Site from PC. Do not think the Online Updater works on the Vita all that well.
do i just reinstall over the original retroarch?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

do i just reinstall over the original retroarch?
nevermind i just reinstalled over it. thanks

pralima87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Merry Christmas in January!

Finally, got around to adequately updating the front page to reflect the newest stable build. I'm giving the nightly a try now so bear with me.

I don't think 1.7.0 is stable on the vita.
Even the "Stable" release.
There are some serious input and network issues on it.
I'm still on 1.6.9 for now.

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi

Can you try them?

Cheers

Hope the week-long delay is enough! Only two test games (And kinda obvious what they are, same series), and they work fine after pasting BIOS files.
6477106316.jpg
ba7b666508.jpg

Anyone having an issue with the Online Updater not working?

Trying to download all the various options, all fail. Version 1.6.9

Never worked to begin with.

Basicly all inputs are taking a while to work after loading a rom.
This happens on multiple cores.

It would help to specify the cores and games tested that exhibit these problems.
I can't speak for everyone, but my installation with the same configuration I've been using for a while has been lag-free (Tested with SNES9x '10, fMSX, FBA).

There is also bugs related to network like core updates and achievments not working on 1.7.0.

Once again, core updater doesn't even exist, let alone work (Since the packages are all baked into the installation). Can't speak for Cheevos, but I'll check in with it when I have internet access later today.

You're welcome!

No one ever answered my question from a few days ago about if netplay works on retroarch on the Vita. Anyone have any experience and can help me? Thanks.

Sorry to disappoint, but not very many people have two Vitas on 3.6 to test Netplay for me.
And I've tried linking up a RaspPi and Vita together, no dice. General information on netplay provided by Libretro sadly kinda goes in both ways.

Look like pcsx developer can look into vitaGL to take advantage of OpenGL hardware acceleration.

vitaQuake v.2.5 - Hardware accelerated renderer powered by vitaGL
http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=46185&p=421279#p421279

May as well take down two birds with one pebble; Yes, this CAN help for cores that have the ability to use hardware rendering (I.E. PCSX-R). HOWEVER, this requires Libretro to add support for VitaGL, AND the requisite core to be updated to take advantage of this.
It's all based essentially off the time to implement such niceties; it can (and probably will?) happen, but needs time. But again, I'm not a Libretro spokesperson here so I don't feel I'm qualified to make such predictions.

As for every other core, well... for the most part, these are all software rendered anyways. You may see the slightest speed boost, but don't expect miracles. This is just how RA cores are developed to begin with as they more or less try to capture CPU-bound accuracy; you'll see better results if said cores are forked into separate Vita-specific projects to take advantage of specialized hardware rendering (I.E. those 3DS SNES emulators outside of RA, same kind of principle).

Last edited by SeongGino,
Reactions: Smoker1

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi

Can you try them?

Cheers

I tried a few games and they worked. There's still a minimal slowdown (sound skipping) in Master of The Lamps, but much less than on PSP.

Some problems with the core that I found. These are probably not Vita specific:
- On-Screen keyboard cannot be controlled with gamepad
- Two player on VitaTV does not work
- I cannot change disks (for games that require "insert disk two") without restarting the emulated C64
- FastSid engine sound (6581f) sounds a bit wrong. Resid engine sound (6581r) is extremely slow compared to Fastsid. Other ports of Vice (PSP, Windows etc) do not have this enormous slowdown when using the resid engine.

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Current Vita nigthlies from 02-09 until 02-10 are broken. The vpk filesize is only 215 kB:
https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/vita/

The last nightly that has all the cores is the one from 2018-02-06 (106 MB):
https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/vita/2018-02-06_RetroArch.vpk

The ones from 02-07 and 02-08 are working, but they are missing a whole bunch of cores (67 MB filesize only),
from then on they are just completely broken..

EDIT: The 2018-02-06 is already gone from the buildbot site. So I uploaded it here to make it available for now until this problem with missing cores is fixed:
https://mega.nz/#!QJAGUC7K!oe0SzEjxT83FbZQg4B1_MmxoZdDS9NbKEMEFKXwLbbk

Last edited by rsn8887,

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
I tried a few games and they worked. There's still a minimal slowdown (sound skipping) in Master of The Lamps, but much less than on PSP.

Some problems with the core that I found. These are probably not Vita specific:
- On-Screen keyboard cannot be controlled with gamepad
- Two player on VitaTV does not work
- I cannot change disks (for games that require "insert disk two") without restarting the emulated C64
- FastSid engine sound (6581f) sounds a bit wrong. Resid engine sound (6581r) is extremely slow compared to Fastsid. Other ports of Vice (PSP, Windows etc) do not have this enormous slowdown when using the resid engine.

@frangarcj. Thanks for adding two cores, especially Vice!

I did some more digging on what I said before about the Vice core:

- In the version from 2018-02-06, the on-screen keyboard and onscreen menu control are already fixed. There's now a mouse pointer which can be controlled with gamepad.
- The slow resid engine is a "feature" of vice 3.0 so it happens even on PC, e.g. not a bug.
- The disk change problem was not limited to Vice, but was broken in all cores. It is being worked on now by fr500.
- Two-player support on PSTV seems to still be missing in the Vice core. Using the Nuklear GUI I can enable only Joy1 pr Joy2, not both at the same time.

Last edited by rsn8887,

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
Current Vita nigthlies from 02-09 until 02-10 are broken. The vpk filesize is only 215 kB:
https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/vita/

The last nightly that has all the cores is the one from 2018-02-06 (106 MB):
https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/vita/2018-02-06_RetroArch.vpk

The ones from 02-07 and 02-08 are working, but they are missing a whole bunch of cores (67 MB filesize only),
from then on they are just completely broken..

EDIT: The 2018-02-06 is already gone from the buildbot site. So I uploaded it here to make it available for now until this problem with missing cores is fixed:
https://mega.nz/#!QJAGUC7K!oe0SzEjxT83FbZQg4B1_MmxoZdDS9NbKEMEFKXwLbbk

Thanks for for keeping us updated.
Any news on wether VitaGL will be used?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things