Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

SentaiBrad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we can confirm that per-core settings actually works now? Brilliant if so, that features doesn't even work in the more advanced 3DS version.

Is it broken? I actually had no clue, I just know that the feature does exist elsewhere.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
A fair few of the settings in the menu often don't actually work on all versions. I'll test the per-core settings tonight.

SentaiBrad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tested saving a new config with snes9x 2005 plus, and the config saved over without an error. Change the Config path location from Default to the ./data/RetroArch/config folder manually then save the default RetroArch.cfg ("Save current config") so that path settings gets changed for everything (like the content dir), then save a new config and it will get saved to that location. Swapping to it works.

Edit: Damn, it will switch to the config file when you save new config just fine, but upon restarting RA and trying to load the new config I saved, it flashes and stops. X_X

Last edited by SentaiBrad,

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RetroArch is just frustrating. I spent all that time reconfiguring the Neo-Geo core so I could play the games properly, and of course it doesn't remember my settings, and won't let me load the configuration I saved when I restart the program. The save file is there, and you can select it, but the buttons are still in the wrong positions regardless. And don't get me started when RetroArch refuses to take any input from the player, forcing you to delete everything and start from scratch. And that accursed search button! Why is that there? Does anyone actually NEED this on a console? Invariably, you're just stuck on the search screen, struggling in vain to return to the menu. I guess that's my punishment for... pushing a single button? Remove this. If you get rid of this, I will make cheese for you.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RetroArch is just frustrating. I spent all that time reconfiguring the Neo-Geo core so I could play the games properly, and of course it doesn't remember my settings, and won't let me load the configuration I saved when I restart the program. The save file is there, and you can select it, but the buttons are still in the wrong positions regardless. And don't get me started when RetroArch refuses to take any input from the player, forcing you to delete everything and start from scratch. And that accursed search button! Why is that there? Does anyone actually NEED this on a console? Invariably, you're just stuck on the search screen, struggling in vain to return to the menu. I guess that's my punishment for... pushing a single button? Remove this. If you get rid of this, I will make cheese for you.
If you have VHBL set up then you can use MVSPSP instead for neo geo games. The only native vita emulator that i have atm is catsfc which is the the non retroarch version until emulators are better for native ps vita mode. Everything else i use psp emulators for atm.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I dont like in RetroArch is the fact that, on the 3DS Builds, you cant change the Button Mapping in the CPS1 or CPS2 FBA Cores. Same in the Vita Builds??

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have VHBL set up then you can use MVSPSP instead for neo geo games. The only native vita emulator that i have atm is catsfc which is the the non retroarch version until emulators are better for native ps vita mode. Everything else i use psp emulators for atm.

That comes with its own frustrations. MVSPSP uses START and SELECT to exit out to the main menu. VHBL uses START and SELECT to return to its own main menu. What happens all too often is that you press START and SELECT, hoping to adjust button settings, only to find yourself back in VHBL. You can't change the keystroke for either program, so you have to just put up with it.

I know, all these apps have been made free of charge and I should just be thankful to have them. Nevertheless, I get a little frustrated by the situation and I really wish more of these programs were designed especially for the Vita. RetroArch has been, if I can be brutally honest here, a mixed blessing.

Reactions: cvskid

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alright, so last time I posted in here (a few years ago during the twilight years of the Wii scene), certain guys in here managed to piss us off so much that we vowed never to ever return. We also have a quite active forum going on nowadays, so the hope was that people just visit that instead.

Anyway, I keep seeing people here spouting the same misinformation so I felt compelled to correct some of it. I hope this time people can manage to at least conduct themselves in the proper manner so that I don't have to quit this forum again out of frustration, so let's see how that goes. I am well meaning to a fault but I have my limits when it comes to certain abuse.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Supposedly Neo is missing button remaps; CPS works though.

I'll look into this.

And that accursed search button! Why is that there? Does anyone actually NEED this on a console? Invariably, you're just stuck on the search screen, struggling in vain to return to the menu.

No you're not. You press up and down to select between characters, arcade console-input style. You then press start to enter the 'input'. I think I asked kivutar to add at least a blinking animation to the text input so that it is LOGICAL for people as to what is going on, but as ever with certain guys in my team, I tell them one thing and a few months later it is still not done, and yeah that can get rather frustrating when people just decide 'nah I don't feel like doing this or that'.

I spent all that time reconfiguring the Neo-Geo core so I could play the games properly, and of course it doesn't remember my settings, and won't let me load the configuration I saved when I restart the program. The save file is there, and you can select it, but the buttons are still in the wrong positions regardless.

Not sure what you're talking about here and why you want to reconfigure the Neo Geo controls to begin with. RetroArch's entire input scheme is made in a way that for 98% of all possible usecases, the defaults are as 'ideal' as could be expected for a gamepad configuration scheme that models itself off the PlayStation/SNES pad. There are isolated cases where the defaults are not really ideal due to the system's controller being non-standard (N64/Saturn), for those we often implement custom button mapping schemes that you can trigger by pressing the Select button.

So I guess I'd have to ask you - why is the default Neo Geo button scheme something you want to reconfigure? Right now its configured like the Neo Geo CD gamepad which was at least a 'gamepad' and not an arcade stick. If you have any other button scheme in mind, bring it up and I can look at making this a toggleable option.

Also, you are not really meant to be messing around in Settings -> Input on a console. That stuff is mostly there on PCs where you need such granular control. On consoles, honestly, the defaults is what you should be using, and you cannot fault the app for you yourself locking yourself out of the app when this input mapping system is meant as a feature on PCs. I guess I could go the 'dumbed down' route and disable all that from being accessible on consoles but then people would complain about a lack of configurability so you never win these battles.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Per-core settings have been removed BTW. It was a badly implemented feature that we never liked and all it did was cause issues (both development and features-wise). You are meant to be using configuration overrides instead.

Anyway, even though configuration overrides are an option and so are remap controls, once again I see people missing the point here : CONVENTION OVER CONFIGURATION. RetroArch is made in a way such that you are not really supposed to be messing around configuring your controls for this or that core, the entire point behind it is 98% sane defaults and for the 2% where the defaults are not quite 'sane', reconfigure using 'remap controls'. By you wanting to reconfigure controls on a per-core basis, you are essentially doing it wrong and misunderstanding the entire reasoning why we made things this way. We want things to be plug and play and not for a user to be wasting his time reconfiguring this or that on button control schemes when often times the defaults are the way it should be.

Last edited by LibretroRetroArc,

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why? Because I like to have the buttons in the traditional Street Fighter II format. Square and Triangle should be punches, and X and O should be kicks. (I believe on the Neo-Geo, it'd be A & B for punches, and C & D for kicks.) Those buttons are rotated 90 degrees in the default setting, and it's more difficult/less comfortable for me to play. Some of the RetroArch emulators let you set up the control on a by-console basis, and others don't, which makes me wonder why that option isn't available on all of them.

Again, I realize that I'm not in a position to demand anything, and I appreciate that an option to play the Neo-Geo library on the Vita exists. Nevertheless, it's frustrating to have these games available without being able to play them in the way that's most comfortable to me.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why? Because I like to have the buttons in the traditional Street Fighter II format. Square and Triangle should be punches, and X and O should be kicks. (I believe on the Neo-Geo, it'd be A & B for punches, and C & D for kicks.) Those buttons are rotated 90 degrees in the default setting, and it's more difficult/less comfortable for me to play. Some of the RetroArch emulators let you set up the control on a by-console basis, and others don't, which makes me wonder why that option isn't available on all of them.

Again, I realize that I'm not in a position to demand anything, and I appreciate that an option to play the Neo-Geo library on the Vita exists. Nevertheless, it's frustrating to have these games available without being able to play them in the way that's most comfortable to me.

Quick Menu -> Controls shows up in a core when input descriptors are implemented. Apparently for this Neo Geo standalone core, this was not yet the case. This FBA standalone Neo Geo core is not really a highly used core on platforms other than Vita/3DS since other consoles have enough RAM/heap/stack size to allow for full FBA, so some omissions here or there are just now becoming apparent.

Anyway, if you want such an esoteric weird control scheme for Neo Geo which is neither the Neo Geo arcade stick standard or the Neo Geo CD gamepad standard, then yeah, that is not something I can automate, and you'd have to wait until input descriptors get implemented in the core so you can reconfigure them yourself. It's not hard to implement anyway.

PlaystationTV

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Libretro I don't know about the default button layout being correct for vita/tv, you can't play nes/GBA with X & 0 buttons on a PlayStation controller layout , I had to change it to square & X
I had to change all of them , the only one I didn't was snes
I even had to swap the menu X & o

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd strongly dispute the notion that a Street Fighter II-style button layout is "esoteric." Most non-SNK fighting games use them, particularly Capcom's. I suspect that the only reason SNK did things the way they did was because the four buttons on an MVS arcade unit are arranged in a single row, rather than in two.

But I suppose that's all academic. I'll get used to the current RetroArch set-up until changes are made.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Libretro I don't know about the default button layout being correct for vita/tv, you can't play nes/GBA with X & 0 buttons on a PlayStation controller layout , I had to change it to square & X
I had to change all of them , the only one I didn't was snes
I even had to swap the menu X & o

RetroArch is designed in a way so that the 'RetroPad' is the primary input device. RetroArch tries to be essentially a 'game console' with a primary gamepad.

The RetroPad 'looks' like this conceptually -
http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=File:Retropad_360pad.png
index.php

What you see here is essentially - the SNES button layout, L1 + R1, R2 + L2, L3 + R3. It's basically the PlayStation3 joypad sans gyro.

In the case of the NES/GBA cores, the GBA and NES had a B and A button, with B being to the left of A, so that is how they are mapped on the RetroPad.

The PlayStation came from the SNES anyway, X is B, Circle is A, Square is Y and Triangle is X. The PlayStation pad has always been a SNES pad at heart and so this should be as close to a 1:1 mapping as is possible on the Vita.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Unfortunately, Retropad layout is awfully confusing for any controller that isn't a Snes/Playstation. For example, configuring 6-button Sega controllers requires memorisation (or more likely, a Google search) of exactly which Retropad button aligns to which Sega button. It usually takes me a couple of attempts to get right.

This isn't really an issue on the Vita or 3DS where the button layout is fixed, but a pain on the PC where I switch controller depending on which format I am emulating.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Unfortunately, Retropad layout is awfully confusing for any controller that isn't a Snes/Playstation. For example, configuring 6-button Sega controllers requires memorisation (or more likely, a Google search) of exactly which Retropad button aligns to which Sega button. It usually takes me a couple of attempts to get right.

This isn't really an issue on the Vita or 3DS where the button layout is fixed, but a pain on the PC where I switch controller depending on which format I am emulating.

Well, you could make an autoconfig for that gamepad then which configures it as you'd expect for the core you're using. If you do happen to make these, send a pull request to retroarch-autoconfig so they can be incorporated into the program from that point on. That way, you'd have less manual configuration you'd have to go through every time.

Anyway, it's not my fault that things like six button Sega gamepads and N64 gamepads are not the norm and have not been the norm since at least the late '90s. Anything that doesn't look and function like a PS4/Xbone pad is pretty much over and finished, even Wii U went back to the same control scheme more or less.

RetroArch is designed to be a cross-platform game console of its own, and that needs a standardized gamepad. So you design cores around that standardized gamepad.

Honestly, you already have your 'options' in case you don't like this - like making an autoconfig for this six button gamepad you have and configuring it just the way you want it - that is reasonable. Beyond that, I consider this a total nonissue and any further debate on this is just likely going to piss me off again. So let's not do that. Respect that RetroArch is different in this regard and that there is a reason for it being like this.

Anyway, what I DID do for certain games on the N64 was have alternate button control schemes. If you press 'select' on Killer Instinct Gold for instance, it will switch the controls to the SNES button layouts, which plays a lot better on a PS4/Xbone pad. And for games like Ridge Racer 64, there is an alternate control scheme that switches the controls to the PSX defaults. When faced with a gamepad that just doesn't map well to traditional PS4/Xbone-style controls, this is the best you can do and offer.

The fact is, Sega Saturn and N64 pads are simply undesirable gamepads nowadays, they faded into obscurity for a reason, nobody makes pads like that anymore, you can find no gamepad out there anymore with a six button layout or a Z trigger, so the best you can do instead is create accomodations so we can 'map' these kind of 'weird' gamepads to what is considered the 'norm' nowadays.

Sony, Nintendo et co all do this with their respective ports, and I don't see it being brought up as a minus there.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

> For example, configuring 6-button Sega controllers requires memorisation (or more likely, a Google search) of exactly which Retropad button aligns to which Sega button. It usually takes me a couple of attempts to get right.

You don't have to google search at all, go to Quick Menu -> Controls and it will show you which Retropad button is mapped to which 'system' button.

Last edited by LibretroRetroArc,
Reactions: smokemonster

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
RetroArch is designed in a way so that the 'RetroPad' is the primary input device. RetroArch tries to be essentially a 'game console' with a primary gamepad.

The RetroPad 'looks' like this conceptually -
http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=File:Retropad_360pad.png
index.php

What you see here is essentially - the SNES button layout, L1 + R1, R2 + L2, L3 + R3. It's basically the PlayStation3 joypad sans gyro.

In the case of the NES/GBA cores, the GBA and NES had a B and A button, with B being to the left of A, so that is how they are mapped on the RetroPad.

The PlayStation came from the SNES anyway, X is B, Circle is A, Square is Y and Triangle is X. The PlayStation pad has always been a SNES pad at heart and so this should be as close to a 1:1 mapping as is possible on the Vita.
Libreto. Some questions.
A interface like wiiflow with pictures will be possible someday?
What cores are possible but not yet started for vita?
A mugen core is possible? For fighting games.

Thank you for your work. Better every day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.