RetroArch is officially coming to Steam

steam_logo2-100691182-orig-100761992-large.jpg

When you think emulator frontends, there's a high chance that RetroArch comes to mind. Its simple design and ease of use have made it an incredibly popular application, for years and years. And now, you'll be able to officially use RetroArch from the comfort of Steam. In an attempt to legitimize and grow their brand, Libretro will be releasing RetroArch on Steam, at the end of the month. It'll launch on July 30th, for free, and on Windows only, initially, with a Linux and MacOS version to follow shortly after. There won't be any difference between the Steam build and the one you can get normally on Libretro's official site, but the team is looking into incorporating features from Steam's platform in the future. This feature follows a recent RetroArch update, which lets users directly dump their official game discs to their computer, allowing for easy backups. You'll also be able to take a Sega CD, Saturn, PlayStation 1, or 3D0 disc. put it in your PC's disc drive, and run it directly on RetroArch, with more consoles to be supported in the future.

There are also plans in the works for developers of older IPs to release their games on Steam, through using RetroArch, though no further details are known about that yet.

:arrow: Source

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, it's legal. That is, until a large corporation throws a million dollars towards US legislators and they make it illegal. It'll be an open and close case. Money solves everything in the US, you just gotta pay the congress. This holds true now more than ever.
Not sure what they're waiting for if it's really that easy. Emulation has been a pain in the ass for these companies for literally decades. Why haven't they just made their small donations to get the laws changed?

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Doesn't change the fact its not.
It supports standalone games as well. The libretro api needs more mainstream adaption.
Not everything is about emulators.
There are other libretro frontends on steam already, whats your point?
I think I get where you are getting at. Would using Retroarch to launch a few oldies be te plan, then? Abstracting the compatibility issues with modern OSs. Turning it a launcher inside a launcher of sorts? Something along the lines of making SCUMM VM games load through Retroarch?

Is my reasoning making sense?

Emulation cores are a no go (except for SEGA, they seem cool with it and probably could devise a way to sell some 32x games), obviously.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if any spyware will be incorporated through the steam API, to know which games your playing. Or maybe RetroAchievements will be incorporated into Steam. That's the only reason I'd want to play it through steam. More achievements for games I already own.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn’t the mana collection on steam? It has already been revealed the 3 games are roms running on emulators. You can even rip the roms and play them on there real hardware with flash cards from ever drive.

Reactions: Kioku

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no no no no no NO NOOOOO!!
DRM platforms are NOT where ROMs belong! This is VERY bad news for software preservation.

If you have no clue what you're talking about, it's often best to just not talk.

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already don't use Retroarch because why run emulators through a front end that slows them down? Let's add another layer. >.> I realize when it comes to running a SNES emulator on a decent desktop PC, it doesn't matter, but I just don't see any need for this.

Reactions: Ryccardo

bodefuceta

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you have no clue what you're talking about, it's often best to just not talk.
Steam is a DRM platform, it sells you games plus DRM. With this, they're going to sell console ROMs. You think they'd be untouched and run on any device? No, valve never, not once, released something without DRM. This means in the future, ROMs are more likely no include DRM, especially if this becomes popular, compared to whether GOG were to offer something like this.

Next time you try to be this arrogant, have an IQ above room temperature.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I already don't use Retroarch because why run emulators through a front end that slows them down? Let's add another layer. >.> I realize when it comes to running a SNES emulator on a decent desktop PC, it doesn't matter, but I just don't see any need for this.
Stand-alone emulators have front-ends too. Retroarch can be quite efficient actually, lakka is one of the less bloated and easier ways to just do emulation.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Steam is a DRM platform, it sells you games plus DRM. With this, they're going to sell console ROMs. You think they'd be untouched and run on any device? No, valve never, not once, released something without DRM. This means in the future, ROMs are more likely no include DRM, especially if this becomes popular, compared to whether GOG were to offer something like this.

Next time you try to be this arrogant, have an IQ above room temperature.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Stand-alone emulators have front-ends too. Retroarch can be quite efficient actually, lakka is one of the less bloated and easier ways to just do emulation.
Valve isn't releasing RA... So, your argument has holes here.

https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

Have a read. Maybe you'll learn. Or not...

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: Mythical

Shawn ShyGuy

Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
United States
There anything like OpenEmu on PC? Configuring settings in retroarch is such a pain imo.
Nothing quite like it, I remember searching for a long time for something like OpenEmu. But I'd say, stick with RetroArch for a bit, and once you get used to everything with it it's probably the best frontend for PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: