RetroArch is officially coming to Steam

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 12, 2019.

Front-page
    steam_logo2-100691182-orig-100761992-large.

When you think emulator frontends, there's a high chance that RetroArch comes to mind. Its simple design and ease of use have made it an incredibly popular application, for years and years. And now, you'll be able to officially use RetroArch from the comfort of Steam. In an attempt to legitimize and grow their brand, Libretro will be releasing RetroArch on Steam, at the end of the month. It'll launch on July 30th, for free, and on Windows only, initially, with a Linux and MacOS version to follow shortly after. There won't be any difference between the Steam build and the one you can get normally on Libretro's official site, but the team is looking into incorporating features from Steam's platform in the future. This feature follows a recent RetroArch update, which lets users directly dump their official game discs to their computer, allowing for easy backups. You'll also be able to take a Sega CD, Saturn, PlayStation 1, or 3D0 disc. put it in your PC's disc drive, and run it directly on RetroArch, with more consoles to be supported in the future.

There are also plans in the works for developers of older IPs to release their games on Steam, through using RetroArch, though no further details are known about that yet.

:arrow: Source

derptr0n, Tony_93, DrakeLyon and 48 others like this.
    Discussion (140 replies)
  1. PRAGMA

PRAGMA GBAtemp Addict

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland
    :D Awesome!

derptr0n likes this.
  2. ninjistix

ninjistix GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2016
    United States
    just wow, this is great news, until COUGHnintendontCOUGH has something to say about it.

3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    This won't have microtransactions right? :P

4. supermist

supermist GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Wisconsin
    For years you've been able to launch RetroArch or any other emulator with a rom file/iso etc with special command lines so it would immediately launch the game upon selecting it in steam.

I really hope we'll have a way to do that with an official Steam version.

Maximilious likes this.
  5. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    This is awesome. I do have to wonder, though, about how well this will play in the future. By that I mean, there are multiple Retroarch cores that are non-commercial. Yet with Retroarch in the Steam store, it'll be tempting for IP holders of NES/Genesis/Aracde games to start selling DLC associated with Retroarch. So, does cross the commercial threshold or not? Admittedly unlike SBC it's actually reasonable to use GPL cores so it could be a lot less of an issue. It does make me worry, though.

ninjistix is right, though. I can't imagine Nintendo (or Sony or Microsoft) like this. It'll greatly reduce the barrier for a lot of old IP holders to sell games cheaper without the big three getting a cut. Of course, Steam takes a pretty big cut of its own. One thing I'd like to see is a few more menu/frontends developed because there's a lot of people who find the current one lacking. I'd argue Valve should do it but while Big Picture mode might be nice for some, their standard client is pretty bad IMHO.

6. NoNAND

NoNAND Just a GBAtemper thriving in his natural habitat

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    DinohScene's Discord Server
    Could this be a smart move or not hmmm.
    So does this mean that emulation won't be looked down upon and many gaming companies will redistribute their old classics through the retroarch front end.

7. renjiVII

renjiVII Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2015
    Canada
    British Columbia
    $1 for each emulation dlc maybe.

NoNAND, FateForWindows and alivebacon like this.
  8. jt_1258

jt_1258 Something

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    Nintendo would like to know your location.

9. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    But sega already has $0.99 roms of their genesis games on steam. :creep:

10. renjiVII

renjiVII Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2015
    Canada
    British Columbia
    discontinued from the store page? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case after this comes out the 30th this month.

alivebacon likes this.
  11. PewnyPL

PewnyPL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2014
    Poland
    It's just emulators, they can't do anything.

12. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Hrmm I wonder how that will work out legally.

If they're intending to add the steamworks API, they could end up running afoul of the GPLv3. If they use the steamworks API, they would have to publicize the library they use for it under the GPLv3, and while I'm far from an expert, I recall Valve not wanting that.

As far as legalese goes from console devs, RA is just the frontend. It by default comes bundled with zero cores, so nobody can do much about that. And even then, the point is moot because emulators are 100% legal.

13. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    Imagine paying for roms and cores.

Dopey The Gemini likes this.
  14. Blake5100

Blake5100 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2014
    United States
    ....I have no words.... Truly incredible

FateForWindows and DuoForce like this.
  15. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Excellent news! Go get-um @m4xw well done about time you deserve it and also all @Team Libretro.

Last edited by Reecey, Jul 12, 2019
    DuoForce likes this.
  16. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2013
    United States
    Prox
    Sure, it's legal. That is, until a large corporation throws a million dollars towards US legislators and they make it illegal. It'll be an open and close case. Money solves everything in the US, you just gotta pay the congress. This holds true now more than ever.

Last edited by AbyssalMonkey, Jul 12, 2019
  17. smileyhead

smileyhead Sitting in the toilet

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    If Nintendo could DMCA RetroArch, they probably would've done it long ago. Emulators are technically legal and don't break any copyright laws.

Subtle Demise and lexarvn like this.
  18. DaveLister

DaveLister GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426
    Handpicked solution that delivers, well done finally one emulator to rule them all .

19. bodefuceta

bodefuceta GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2018
    Brazil
    no no no no no NO NOOOOO!!
    DRM platforms are NOT where ROMs belong! This is VERY bad news for software preservation.

|<roni&g, NoNAND, shano and 5 others like this.