Homebrew Retroarch GBA GpSp thread - screen garbage/glitches

Lordbarker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all

Have Retroarch running well. However on the gba emulator the top of the screen often flickers and occasionally throws out a it of garbage. I've used RA for a long time on PC, and all other threads are fine on 3DS so assume it might be just the nature of gpSP, but wondered if there were any settings in the emulator that might fix this? As it's slightly off-putting whilst playing.

Thank you.

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
same issue here with nightly 2/6... would love a solution that does not require a rollback to a previous build from before november

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rom is clean. it doesn't occur on every ROM though, it seems to only occur on SMA4 - Super Mario 3.
I'm using default out of the box settings. Didn't change them any

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rom is clean. it doesn't occur on every ROM though, it seems to only occur on SMA4 - Super Mario 3.
I'm using default out of the box settings. Didn't change them any
SMB3 is one of the few games I've played on there and never had an issue. My graphical settings are: all filters off, integer scaling on, and everything else default.

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SMB3 is one of the few games I've played on there and never had an issue. My graphical settings are: all filters off, integer scaling on, and everything else default.

with the latest 1.3 nightly? I think I'm using one from February 6th (3DSX versions). After browsing heavily through the Retroarch thread, I was able to find a cia of gpsp from November that works fine w/o the graphical glitch.

Are you using 3dsx or cia? Maybe that's one place I can start by installing the latest nightly and seeing how it goes.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with the latest 1.3 nightly? I think I'm using one from February 6th (3DSX versions). After browsing heavily through the Retroarch thread, I was able to find a cia of gpsp from November that works fine w/o the graphical glitch.

Are you using 3dsx or cia? Maybe that's one place I can start by installing the latest nightly and seeing how it goes.
Like I mentioned, I'm using the stable release, not any of the nightly builds. I'm using CIA.

D

Deleted User

I am using the most recent nightly CIA version. I encountered the glitch while playing zero mission, fusion, and aria of sorrow. To fix it I just selected the 2xSaI filter. I once I did this it went away and did not experience any framerate drop.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using the most recent nightly CIA version. I encountered the glitch while playing zero mission, fusion, and aria of sorrow. To fix it I just selected the 2xSaI filter. I once I did this it went away and did not experience any framerate drop.
I can't test those as they don't run fullspeed on o3DS.

D

Deleted User

I can't test those as they don't run fullspeed on o3DS.
Retroarch as a whole doesn't run full speed on o3ds. I am on a new 3ds and it does run full speed, even with the aforementioned filter. GBA emulation on old 3ds is atrocious.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retroarch as a whole doesn't run full speed on o3ds. I am on a new 3ds and it does run full speed, even with the aforementioned filter. GBA emulation on old 3ds is atrocious.
A few games do. I've been using it for SMB3 and Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land.

In other news, I disabled integer scaling and the crap at the top started showing up. So if you really want it scaled on o3DS, I guess you're out of luck as it's not going to be powerful enough to run a filter.

tatundria

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
FFV (sound restoration patched) gba rom used to work flawlessly on gpsp 3ds until Nov 9 nightly build. Since then, it started flickering and suddenly freezing. Any fix for this?

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm seeing two issues

A
Numerous flashing rows across the screen, about 10 pixels from the top. Looks like screen tearing as it doesn't appear on the composite when I open the menu.

Workaround: Settings > Video > Frame Delay = 1

B
And with integer scaling on and bilinear filtering off I'm also seeing "noise" that kind of looks like dithering (but isn't) across the whole screen. Send to be scaling related?

Workaround: set aspect ratio to 30:17

Video filters don't help.

I'm on 1.4.1 stable CIAs

Last edited by matt!,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Fish sticks