Homebrew RetroArch 3DS: Full speed PS1 now possible with PCSX ReARMed w/ Unai renderer!

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Still find it bloaty tbh, I prefer just a PCSX Rearmed icon on the main screen.
Yeah, well until someone decides to make a standalone ps1 emulator that ain't gonna happen I'm afraid. Personally, after having changed views etc on retroarch and getting rid of all those unnecessary menus I'm finding it a a lot better to use. It would have been cool of retroarch could organize your games in a tidy fashion without having to waste a week of your life trying to set up playlists, kind of like how twilightmenu is able to download covers etc just by looking at the games. Much easier. Retroarch should've been able to do the same if it saw you had the right dumps of the games... Whatever, I'm more than happy ps1 emulation works

Doczu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Question: is it enough to activate the Unai in options to get some performance, boost, or should i also change the new settings below it: lightning, blending etc.?

For fun i de-activated the blending abd lighting, it screwed the shadows below characters, but i saw no boost in fps

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
So should this be available as part of the 3DS nightly builds correct?

Have the crashes people are having been resolved? Are they on all 3DS units or just old 3ds?

Is there a comprehensive guide to getting the renderer set up/ and running its' best yet? Want to jump into some Vagrant Story/Xenogears very soon :D

Doczu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Bummer, PE is still not fullspeed it is better, first fight with Eve, boss in sewers works better than before, but pan around NYC and the police ststions fps just tanked. Turning lighting and blending off gives some extra frames, but at a cost of graphical glitches.

Had my hope up for nothing.

someguy12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Performance boost is noticeable and really great, but the application keeps crashing on me still... it seems to crash most frequently when saving or loading a save file. Could it be a problem with my BIOS? Or is everyone having this problem

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like everyone that spends more than 5 minutes on a game is having the crash problem. Unless they wanna speak up to the contrary.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah I have the exact same problem. Maybe more than 5 mins, but usually when next stage is loading or memory card is accessed. Maybe try to use only save states and disable memory card?

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like everyone that spends more than 5 minutes on a game is having the crash problem. Unless they wanna speak up to the contrary.
Turn off onscreen notifications and use bios. I’ve played for pretty extended periods with no issues like that. The notifications cause it to crash for whatever reason. Also don’t load games from history or a playlist

Reactions: Rahkeesh

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else having issues getting retroarch to read bios? I have it in the cores/system folder with all lower case letters. I have use bios set to auto and and i have show bios bootlogo on to check if it shows the actual original bios but it just shows the pcsx bios instead.

Doczu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have an issue where the core loads almost instantly my PE image in .pbp format, but when i try a bin/cue image it takes sometimes up to 1-2 minutes to load it. Is.this normal? It looks like it locks itself on the "scanning" phase...

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have an issue where the core loads almost instantly my PE image in .pbp format, but when i try a bin/cue image it takes sometimes up to 1-2 minutes to load it. Is.this normal? It looks like it locks itself on the "scanning" phase...
Yes, I believe this is normal. Still there's no reason to use .bin/cue format though. You'll get worse fps.

D

Deleted-481927

Yes, I believe this is normal. Still there's no reason to use .bin/cue format though. You'll get worse fps.
so have we worked out whether PBP or CHD Is best for games or is it a case by case basis

ik FF7 runs flawless on .chd

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Anyone else having issues getting retroarch to read bios? I have it in the cores/system folder with all lower case letters. I have use bios set to auto and and i have show bios bootlogo on to check if it shows the actual original bios but it just shows the pcsx bios instead.
No, I actually have not had that issue. I presume you've checked the md5 checksums and that retorarch is set to look for bios in those folders etc.?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

so have we worked out whether PBP or CHD Is best for games or is it a case by case basis

ik FF7 runs flawless on .chd
Have you tested ff7 on .pbp? I don't know if anyone has gone and tested it thoroughly, but out of convenience I've stopped using .pbp in favor of .chd.

Reactions: cvskid

Doczu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I could have sworn it wasn't loading so slow a year or two back when i last tested it on Alien Trilogy, but i might misremember.

But i do think that the last time i've tried Alien in bin format it played smoother than now in pbp (??). The game does run at 60 fps, but simetimes opening a door or when an alien or two waltz by causes the fps to drop to ~40.

FF: Tactics in pbp has cinematics at full speed and thanks to the option to disable lighting gameplay also mostly hit fullspeed. It does come at the cost of graphical glitches, but ‍♂️

... Come on, we"re at the brink of fullspeed gaming without major bugs and glitches.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I could have sworn it wasn't loading so slow a year or two back when i last tested it on Alien Trilogy, but i might misremember.

But i do think that the last time i've tried Alien in bin format it played smoother than now in pbp (??). The game does run at 60 fps, but simetimes opening a door or when an alien or two waltz by causes the fps to drop to ~40.

FF: Tactics in pbp has cinematics at full speed and thanks to the option to disable lighting gameplay also mostly hit fullspeed. It does come at the cost of graphical glitches, but ‍♂️

... Come on, we"re at the brink of fullspeed gaming without major bugs and glitches.
Yep, it really is fantastics. About FFT I found that running it at 1 frameskip didn't impact the experience much. The biggest impact to the fps was during spells. I guess you could disable lighting too if it doesn't make navigating menus hard, like it usually does. My general rule is that 2d sprites on 3d background don't get much impact from frameskipping, whereas 3d models do alot.

You could try formatting the sd card, but it isn't for sure that you'll get better loading times than what you have.

NanashiFinal13

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Bummer, PE is still not fullspeed it is better, first fight with Eve, boss in sewers works better than before, but pan around NYC and the police ststions fps just tanked. Turning lighting and blending off gives some extra frames, but at a cost of graphical glitches.

Had my hope up for nothing.
You made a savestate? Because if you do the game just runs horrible. I already play two hours and play just fine, almos perfect actually. If you have done a savestate, erase it and the game will play fine after that. Also, what configurations are using and what build of the emulator?

Also im using the cia build of this page on this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/unofficial-3ds-retroarch-builds.462252/page-9

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I actually have not had that issue. I presume you've checked the md5 checksums and that retorarch is set to look for bios in those folders etc.?

Have you tested ff7 on .pbp? I don't know if anyone has gone and tested it thoroughly, but out of convenience I've stopped using .pbp in favor of .chd.
That did it. I was using the same bios i use for everything not realising that they don't work with retroarch. Thank you.

Reactions: Zense

Doczu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You made a savestate? Because if you do the game just runs horrible. I already play two hours and play just fine, almos perfect actually. If you have done a savestate, erase it and the game will play fine after that. Also, what configurations are using and what build of the emulator?

Also im using the cia build of this page on this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/unofficial-3ds-retroarch-builds.462252/page-9

I re-installed the 24/09 build, which supposedly has updated unai that irons out some bugs, such as garbled text in some games.
I've now made a fresh install of the core, i didn't play with any of the options: so it's tye normal config with only unai enabled under options.
Unai settings: blending and lihting on, the rest is off.
I've deleted the save state and just loaded the game and went straight to the city map.

I've deleted the config files, just to be sure, and loaded FFT to give it a shot. As soon as the gampelay hits, it drops to 30fps without changing the unai settings for lighting. I just don't know how some people are getting above 60 frames in some games :ninja:

Attachments

• IMG_20190929_082325.jpg
    IMG_20190929_082325.jpg
    804.5 KB · Views: 202

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse